What's new

Pakistan Navy | News & Discussions.

No word on specific configuration of the Swift corvettes. Given that they're for CTF-150/151, they can just do with 30 mm guns. As for the MILGEM, @cabatli_53 quoted a reliable Turkish source, who was saying Turkey's EXIM Bank is in talks with Pakistan to work out financing for the MILGEM (a couple of weeks ago).

Bro, when I reached additional details about Milgem deal, I will share it to inform but It seems Pakistani corvette deal with an USA shipyard is confused the minds of Turkish members as well. I don’t know It may be an offset deal issued by USA, If they supply some funds to help Pakistan before...

Pakistan Navy Chief visits forward operation Bases along coastal line
https://t.co/Q5zJQ4iqsV https://t.co/w5YnMUmiWs
IMG_20171103_174241.jpeg

Of note, South African minister for public enterprise is in Pakistan now with the leadership from Denel, including the CEO. This is interesting on many fronts, especially with the JF-17 in the process of finalizing block 3 configuration (think A-darter and Marlin), the other area of interest i would hope Pakistan would look into is the upgrading of F-22P. If the Umkhonto er-ir is ready (30km range) it would be a suitable upgrade for refitting the F-22P. Pakistan could also look to join the Umkhonto - R project along with Brazilian Navy to refit F-22p and give the navy an active seeking 60km range missile (hopefully pushing for quad-packability).

I do think however PN should consider a new ship designed around an enlarged version of Azmat (bring it to around 1000-1200t as a corvette in the mold of Sa'ar 5 with the ability to equip a chopper and 16 cell vls for SAMs and a modern radar like Smart S Mk2 which can be sourced from Turkey, replacing the main gun with a CIWS and the current ak630 with fl3000n. Would be one hell of a corvette. Add sonar and torpedo tubes and you have a well rounded vessel in the 1200t range.

Last edited:
Of note, South African minister for public enterprise is in Pakistan now with the leadership from Denel, including the CEO. This is interesting on many fronts, especially with the JF-17 in the process of finalizing block 3 configuration (think A-darter and Marlin), the other area of interest i would hope Pakistan would look into is the upgrading of F-22P. If the Umkhonto er-ir is ready (30km range) it would be a suitable upgrade for refitting the F-22P. Pakistan could also look to join the Umkhonto - R project along with Brazilian Navy to refit F-22p and give the navy an active seeking 60km range missile (hopefully pushing for quad-packability).
Brazil hasn't signed onto the Umkhonto R (60 km) - financial and economic troubles - so if Pakistan were to sign on, it'd be a bilateral program between SA and Pakistan. Still, between the PN and PAF alone, I think they can spur a need for a decent number of batteries, probably more than Brazil. In fact, seeing that the Marlin is to have a MR-SAM sub-variant, then it wouldn't surprise me if the Marlin SAM and Umkhonto R are the same program. So if the PAF were to sign onto the Marlin as a whole, that would support the JF-17 (BVR AAM), MR-SAM on land and sea, etc.

Brazil hasn't signed onto the Umkhonto R (60 km) - financial and economic troubles - so if Pakistan were to sign on, it'd be a bilateral program between SA and Pakistan. Still, between the PN and PAF alone, I think they can spur a need for a decent number of batteries, probably more than Brazil. In fact, seeing that the Marlin is to have a MR-SAM sub-variant, then it wouldn't surprise me if the Marlin SAM and Umkhonto R are the same program. So if the PAF were to sign onto the Marlin as a whole, that would support the JF-17 (BVR AAM), MR-SAM on land and sea, etc.
How about Helmet mounted site for JF17 ?

I do think however PN should consider a new ship designed around an enlarged version of Azmat (bring it to around 1000-1200t as a corvette in the mold of Sa'ar 5 with the ability to equip a chopper and 16 cell vls for SAMs and a modern radar like Smart S Mk2 which can be sourced from Turkey, replacing the main gun with a CIWS and the current ak630 with fl3000n. Would be one hell of a corvette. Add sonar and torpedo tubes and you have a well rounded vessel in the 1200t range.
Looks like whole package deal .

The only one in South Africa that might be capable of make one is Hensoldt Optronics South Africa (HOSA).
I guess if we going whole sum with SA then should go HOSA too might get good price as well .

Looks like whole package deal .

I guess if we going whole sum with SA then should go HOSA too might get good price as well .
Even if getting HOSA to develop an HMD/S is expensive, Pakistan can choose to stick with that system for JF-17 Block-III and the next-generation fighter.

i have said it many times, PN/PAF/armed forces most of time focus on off the shelf purchases unless pushed in a corner
so i doubt we will go for any JV, havent seen anything recently

i have said it many times, PN/PAF/armed forces most of time focus on off the shelf purchases unless pushed in a corner
so i doubt we will go for any JV, havent seen anything recently
This could change in the next few years. The PAF CAS made it a point of emphasis to be free from foreign suppliers with the next-gen fighter. Independence would need to include air-to-air and air-to-ground munitions, otherwise you'll end up with one side refusing source-codes with the other. Second key would be whether a joint-venture would result in Pakistan accessing critical technology or expertise in things like rockets or miniature turbojet engines.

This could change in the next few years. The PAF CAS made it a point of emphasis to be free from foreign suppliers with the next-gen fighter. Independence would need to include air-to-air and air-to-ground munitions, otherwise you'll end up with one side refusing source-codes with the other. Second key would be whether a joint-venture would result in Pakistan accessing critical technology or expertise in things like rockets or miniature turbojet engines.
turkey is an inspirational example of country with relatively smaller economy doing alot of indigenous projects

in day of fiscal short coming there are ample opportunities in Ukrain, turkey and SA for JV and ToT

SA is long looking for partners to develop its AAM, SAMs
Ukraine is looking partners for its transport aircraft, tanks and helicopters
Turkey needs customers for its helicopters
This is the era of co development & JVs as costs are high
china doesnt need us for anything so i doubt we will have many JVs but its excellent source for licence production and off the shelf solutions

turkey is an inspirational example of country with relatively smaller economy doing alot of indigenous projects

in day of fiscal short coming there are ample opportunities in Ukrain, turkey and SA for JV and ToT

SA is long looking for partners to develop its AAM, SAMs
Ukraine is looking partners for its transport aircraft, tanks and helicopters
Turkey needs customers for its helicopters
This is the era of co development & JVs as costs are high
china doesnt need us for anything so i doubt we will have many JVs but its excellent source for licence production and off the shelf solutions
China is excellent partner for R&D of new technology too (e.g. developing GaN TRM for AESA radars), but when it comes to co-production, China won't allow it. You'd have to partner with countries closer to your size, e.g. South Africa, Turkey, Ukraine, etc.

China is excellent partner for R&D of new technology too (e.g. developing GaN TRM for AESA radars), but when it comes to co-production, China won't allow it. You'd have to partner with countries closer to your size, e.g. South Africa, Turkey, Ukraine, etc.

What do you mean by RnD partner? The only thing that can mean is that they will give technology for production. So, not allowing co-production is not compatible with being RnD partner.

Can you clarify?

Back
Top Bottom