What's new

Pakistan missile test H2 Abdali !!!!

The Abdali-I has a range of 180 km and an accuracy of 15 m CEP.[2] It is equipped with an inertial guidance system with terminal guidance. It can be equipped with a variable payload up to 500 kg, and can carry single HE explosive or cluster sub-munition warheads. It has a launch weight of 1,750 kg. It uses a single-stage solid propellant engine and has a length of 9.75 m and a width of 0.56 m. ...

The 180 km max range is announced at payload of 300 kg, I wonder at what payload and therefore the range is the CEP is published at.

Has anyone done measurements by proportionality of the missile, it seems much shorter than 9.75m? That TEL is around 12m long. It doesn't seem to take up about 10 of those.

To target bases and airfields it would have to be deployed right at the border, and even then it won't reach too far deep. Shouldn't we expect a more tactical, BRBM role, against troop concentrations or an IBG thrust for example i.e. as long-range artillery?

Guy,
Did somebody notice how it changes its path in the air? On GEO they showed its trajectory at some height and I was so surprised to see how come this missile travel in such an arbitrary trajectory.

Guy,
Did somebody notice how it changes its path in the air? On GEO they showed its trajectory at some height and I was so surprised to see how come this missile travel in such an arbitrary trajectory.

It chages direction once to the right that's it. Do you meas by 'arbitrary trajectory' the fume trail left behind? That appears crooked, or as you say arbitrary, because winds blow it hither and thither.

They changed the fins and this implies the guidance system was also updated. Possibly, some flaws were modified. This missile after all uses fins instead of jetevactors for steering.

What I don't like is the absence of a vertical launch. A ramp launch looks too much like an unguided rocket, and makes for a different TEL than for the rest of the round types.

Why are we insisting with this Stromboli derivative when we can use the Ghaznawi in a tactical non-nuclear role, possibly in a depressed trajectory? Cost?

With pictures and a video we can see some more modifications.

The fins are a different shape, having a boxy first half, much like the wings of a Draaken. They could possible fold at this point, if in future a two-missile-per-TEL config is envisaged.

Also conspicuous is the absence of fins at the base of the payload section (I'm stopping short of calling it an RV since real R might not happen). And peering closer we can spot four rectangular portholes. Maybe they existed before too, I don't know. I hope they're not applying the same terminal correction technique pioneered in Pakistan by the Shaheen-2 to every ballistic missile of ours, some of them need to be kept cheep.

The launch arm too has been radically shortened and appears much sexier than the fallen electricity pylon lookalike they were using initially. This way the bifurcation in the TEL's cabin could be avoided. This test appears to have been conducted in the Punjab, looking at the vegetation.

The missile was launched from a fixed launcher, with another one idle to the side. Such an arrangement is desirable I think since we can develop these pads near strategic locations e.g. military bases or airports so rapid enemy advances towards them could be slowed using these cheaper, quick and long-reach piece of arty. If there are many enough of these then the enemy would have to commit a several million dollar bigger missile to take them out while these themselves cost much less and shoot a less costly solution. The issue will then be the constant forward deployment of BRBMs which is out of current policy, but housing a few missiles in each cantonment shouldn't be too much of a ripple. These are much like a heavier-lifting version of the A-100 MRL after all.

The high-g turn at 0:07 is beautiful if brief and badly shot! However, prior to it the rocket appeared to be getting lower or decelerating, which might be an artefact of the angled launch or a result of the smaller TWR it offers...but no matter we ain't using it as a sounding rocket. It could've been pre-programmed since a flat trajectory could be an objective.

Talking of flat trajectories, if it uses one the range might fall from 180 to about a 100 km would it not. I would have envisaged the H-3 in this role, for an under-50km altitude trajectory under radar coverage much like the Iskander or Himars.

Pakistan should continue to enhance the conventional capability of our armed forces so we should never have to rely on the nuclear option unless we have a scenario that is a threat to the existence of Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom