What's new

Pakistan militants 'suspend' deal

Cheetah786

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pro-Taleban militants from troubled Swat district in northern Pakistan say they have broken off all contacts with the government.

The militants from the valley in the country's North West Frontier Province recently negotiated a peace deal with the provincial authorities.

Swat was the centre of an insurgency which was quelled after hundreds of troops were deployed in the area.

The insurgency was launched by militants led by a pro-Taleban cleric.

The cleric, Maulana Fazlullah, wants to enforce his version of Islamic Sharia law in the valley.

'Hurdles'

"Our central council has decided to break of all contact with the government for one week," militant spokesman Muslim Khan told the BBC.

"We believe the provincial government is serious in its efforts.

"But the army and some other actors are only creating hurdles in the whole process."

He accused the authorities of not doing enough as far as the militants' demands were concerned.

Mr Khan said the break was effective immediately and they were switching off their telephone landline contacts to ensure there was no dialogue.

He said they would monitor the situation for a week to see if any progress was made in relation to their demands.

The militants say their plea for troops to be withdrawn from the area, the dismantling of check posts and the immediate implementation of Sharia law are still to be met.

But the BBC's Syed Shoaib Hasan in Islamabad says it is believed the main confrontation has arisen over the release of detained militants.

Under the peace deal, the government was due to release 65 militants being held prisoner.

But so far only 18 have been freed.

"If our demands are not met, we may decide to break off the agreement altogether," Mr Khan said.

Afrasiab Khattak, a senior leader of NWFP's ruling ANP party, told the BBC: "We are optimistic that we will convince the Taleban that they should not go to the extreme. :rofl:

"All players involved in this peace deal are committed and in favour of the peace deal."

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan militants 'suspend' deal

how can any sane person believe a deal is possible with extremists? is our army so powerless in front of these untrained jihadis?

how can any sane person believe a deal is possible with extremists? is our army so powerless in front of these untrained jihadis?

No you have uneducated Idiots that are running the government and are clueless about the reality.

There is a saying in the west fool me ones shame on you fool me twice shame on me.in Pakistan's case fool me million times I'll be back for another peace agreement when u need to regroup and re-arm your self one word comes to mind Pathetic.

This was to be expected now lets see how the GoP will respond

Pakistan's case fool me million times

... and ill be voting for you again to screw us ! :D

Thats another popular one ...

IMO this is all part of big game plan...as we all know who their masters are and infact its good for us that our enemy is throwing all his cards surprisingly very early.

If we look the recent events took place one by one it gives a wider and a clearer picture as actually whats goin on.

First the attack on the FC.
Then statement by Puppet karzia,
Then taliban capturing villages to invite nato soldiers and lastly (infact not the last card) breaking up the pact.

Dont know about your army ;) but indeed our Pakistan army is very much capable of keeping a tab on the extremists.

Back
Top Bottom