What's new

Pakistan ka matlab kya? Nehru Jee

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The common refrain you often hear from many Pakistani is "Pakistan ka matlab kya - La ilaha IllAllah" which of course suggests a country was set up for Islam. Nothing more could be further from the truth. I mostly go after busting myths created by Indian nationalists but I think it's time I had look at Pakistan also. I want to look at two so called historical facts as listed beloew;-

(1) Pakistan ka matlab kya - La ilaha IllAllah - Implying that Pakistan was made for Islam.
(2) Jinnah had dream of Pakistan and he worked toward that until he made it a reality.

The reality is if Pakistan was concieved by anybody that credit goes to Sir Allama Iqbal and if any is left over to Rehmat Ali for coming up with the name "Pakistan" abbreviated from the five Muslim dominant regions of South Asia. In 1930 Presidential Address he said:-

[3b] Personally, I would go farther than the demands embodied in it. I would like to see the Punjab, Afghania (North-West Frontier Province), Sind and Baluchistan amalgamated into a single State. Self-government within the British Empire, or without the British Empire, the formation of a consolidated North-West Indian Muslim State appears to me to be the final destiny of the Muslims, at least of North-West India.

Source > Presidential Address, annual session of the All-India MuslimLeague, Allahabad, December 1930, by Sir Muhammad Iqbal

[1] At this solemn hour in the history of India, when British and Indian delegates are laying the foundations of a Federal Constitution for that Sub-continent, we address this appeal to you, in the name of our common heritage, and on behalf of our thirty million Muslim brethern who live in PAKISTAN by which we mean the five Northern units of India viz: Punjab, North-West Frontier Province (Afghan Province), Kashmir, Sind, and Baluchistan. And we ask for your sympathy and support in our grim and fateful struggle against political crucifixion and national annihilation.

Source > Now or Never, by Chaudhary Rahmat Ali, 1933

It was these two men who had a end goal that was Pakistan as exists today. Jinnah never had end goal that involved creation of Pakistan as exists today. Jinnah was working toward parity. That is Jinnah wanted to set up consititutional structures that would end up creating balance within post British India and would prevent any one group dominating the others. The Pakistan idea was used by Jinnah as a stick to force through a constitutional framework that would in fact create balance between differant groups in British India.

I know this idea that Jinnah was working toward parity and not Pakistan must be like apostasy to some have read history from infant style books but this is fact. The Pakistan idea was used as a convenient blackmailing tool in negotiations but it did not represent Jinnah's target destination. Jinnah was a realist and constitutionalist who used his skills to try to garner a set up within India that would safegaurd Muslims. It was idealists like Sir Allama and Rehmat who dreamed of Pakistan.

This can be proven most by that fact that as late as 1946 only 12 months before Pakistan came into being Jinnah accepted the Cabinet Mission Plan of 16 May.

Promulgated on 16 May 1946, the plan to create a united dominion of India as a loose confederation of provinces came to be known by the date of its announcement:

1. A united Dominion of India would be given independence.
  2. Muslim-majority provinces would be grouped -
  3. Sind, Punjab,Baluchistan and North-West Frontier Province would form group one, and
  4. Hindu-majority provinces in central and southern India would form group two.
  5. Bengal and Assam would form group three.
  • The Central government, stationed in Delhi, would be empowered to handle nationwide affairs, such as defense, currency, and diplomacy, while the rest of powers and responsibility would belong to the provinces, coordinated by groups.
Source > 1946 Cabinet Mission to India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jinnah had in effect agreed to loose Union of India which would have had been composed of all the provinces of British India grouped in three distinct blocks with Union of India. The military, communication, foreign affairs would have been centra delegated to New Delhi with other functions with provinces and for any constitutional change the three blocks would have carried equal weight preventing any domination of minority groups. Below is the Union of India Jinnah agreed to to in 1946.

VnwcWdd.jpg

Furthermore the Cabinet Mission noted that -

7. We therefore considered whether a smaller sovereign Pakistan confined to the Muslim majority areas alone might be a possible basis of compromise. Such a Pakistan is regarded by the Muslim League as quite impracticable because it would entail the exclusion from Pakistan of (a) the whole of the Ambala and Jullundur Divisions in the Punjab; (b) the whole of Assam except the district of Sylhet: and (c) a large part of Western Bengal,

Source > Indian Independence: Transfer of Power Source 2

After the Cabinet Mission Plan was proposed it is fact that Jinnah agreed to it. Had it been left with what was agreed by Jinnah in 1946 there would no Pakistan and those who cry the fraud "Pakistan ka matlab kya - La ilaha IllAllah" would have to find something else to shout.

However only 12 months later. That is just one year after Jinnah agreed to the Cabinet Mission Plan 1946 one man stood firm and said "NO". That was the great man called Nehru. Abul Kalam Azad said of Nehru's refusal "one of those unfortunate events that changed the course of history". So ladies and gents I put to you plainly that it was the momentous "No" of Nehru when Jinnah had said "Yes" to the Cabinet Mission plan in 1946 that led to creation of Pakistan just one year later. Nehru's actions left no other trajectory for Jinnah. Nehru locked the only door leading to anything other than Pakistan. The only door left open by Nehru was Pakistan.

So I want everybody to join in me in the chorus of "Pakistan ka matlab kya - Nehru Jee".* In fact I suggest a statue of Nehru to be unveiled next to Minar e Pakistan as acknowledging that man who through his intansigence forced Jinnah to go for Pakistan.

Source > Understanding Partition: India Sundered, Muslims Fragmented - Yuvraj Krishan - Google Books

Last edited:
In that plan there were 2 things included.

The Muslim blocs would be given the option to secede 10 years later. I think for Jinnah since the Congress was so vigorously opposed to Pakistan all along, this would have been the most suitable compromise. He could secede from India 10 years on with a pre-existing agreement from Congress. Nehru of course did not agree to it.

The Muslim bloc would also be allowed to have their own religious setup

The reality is if Pakistan was concieved by anybody that credit goes to Sir Allama Iqbal and if any is left over to Rehmat Ali for coming up with the name "Pakistan" abbreviated from the five Muslim dominant regions of South Asia. In 1930 Presidential Address he said:-

I stopped reading when my BS-o-Meter went in full alarm...

Iqbal was nothing but poet and like a poet he was an illusionist inspired by the German right-wing movement. Hence the name Pakistan meaning land of the pure.
If Rehmat Ali coined the name by taking abbreviations of all contested regions then where is "B" of Bengal??

If you are re-visiting history than revisit it completely. ML/MAJ came into position of dictating on behalf Muslims only when Skiandar Hayat gave support and his unionist party's members joined ML and Sindh's unionist party also followed the suite.

In that plan there were 2 things included.

The Muslim blocs would be given the option to secede 10 years later. I think for Jinnah since the Congress was so vigorously opposed to Pakistan all along, this would have been the most suitable compromise. He could secede from India 10 years on with a pre-existing agreement from Congress. Nehru of course did not agree to it.

The Muslim bloc would also be allowed to have their own religious setup

We are not dealing with "ifs" but with what actualled happened. Rest is hypothetical and speculation. The fact is Jinnah agreed to a consititional framework which ensured parity. Nehru blew it apart and made Pakistan by default one year later. This is fact.

Muslim bloc

There was no Muslim bloc as in singular. There were three blocks with No.1 and No.3 being Muslim dominant to varying degrees. Block 1 included most of present day Pakistan and then some. Block 3 included Bengal and Assam. The rest being Block 2 and Hindu dominant. Look below.

VnwcWdd.jpg

If Rehmat Ali coined the name by taking abbreviations of all contested regions then where is "B" of Bengal??

Look at the map above. At the time Bengal was not included with Block 1. Bengal was press ganged later. Even the Lahore Resolution 1940 declares in plural

"That geographically contiguous units are demarcated into regions which should be constituted, with such territorial readjustments as may be necessary that the areas in which the Muslims are numerically in a majority as in the North Western and Eastern Zones of (British) India should be grouped to constitute ‘independent states’ in which the constituent units should be autonomous and sovereign.

Source > Lahore Resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There remains a debate on whether the resolution envisaged two sovereign states in the eastern and western parts of British India. Abdul Hashim of the Bengal Muslim League interpreted the text as a demand for two separate countries.[15] In 1946, Prime Minister H. S. Suhrawardy of Bengal, a member of the All India Muslim League, mooted the United Bengal proposal with the support of Muslim and Hindu leaders, as well as the Governor of Bengal. However, it was opposed by Lord Mountbatten, the Muslim League, the Congress and the Hindu Mahasabha.

Source > Lahore Resolution - Banglapedia

The fact is neither Allama Iqbal or Rehmat Ali included Bengal in their original visions. Have a look at this below.

chra01.jpg

I stopped reading when my BS-o-Meter went in full alarm...

Tone it down. No need for this.

Iqbal was nothing but poet and like a poet

Well I think this is well known like the fact that Jinnah was a lawyer. Does not detract from the thrust of my argument one dot.

Friends...I am not intelligent like you guys...in a serious note....I think we people in South Asia should really start thinking how to shape our future and more futuristic things rather than why India or Pakistan got created..

Anyway, it is a nice read article..

If you are re-visiting history than revisit it completely. ML/MAJ came into position of dictating on behalf Muslims only when Skiandar Hayat gave support and his unionist party's members joined ML and Sindh's unionist party also followed the suite.

If I'm not wrong, what forced skinader hayat was the immense support for ML in Rural punjab and Rural punjab rallied for MAJ because of the Pirs and Sufis who advocated ferociously for Pakistan.

Another factor is younger brother of Sikandar hayat joined ML.

If I'm not wrong, what forced skinader hayat was the immense support for ML in Rural punjab and Rural punjab rallied for MAJ because of the Pirs and Sufis who advocated ferociously for Pakistan.

Another factor is younger brother of Sikandar hayat joined ML.

If ML had that much immense support in Punjab than there was no chance that MAJ would have sat with him for pact. Even after the pact he was ruling Punjab excellently and In fact he was more popular in Punjab specially rural Punjab than MAJ because of his upheaval and development of Punjab. His death created vacuum in Punjab's politics which gave ML chance.

Which brother you are talking about?

If ML had that much immense support in Punjab than there was no chance that MAJ would have sat with him for pact. Even after the pact he was ruling Punjab excellently and In fact he was more popular in Punjab specially rural Punjab than MAJ because of his upheaval and development of Punjab. His death created vacuum in Punjab's politics which gave ML chance.

Which brother you are talking about?

I mixed up. It was his son Shaukat Hayat Khan which If I'm not wrong was instrumental in putting pressure on his father along with muslim members of Sikandar hayat party and cabinet to make an alliance with Quaid e Azam to present a common muslim front.

I dont think I would agree with you that Sikandar hayat had a positive impace on Punjab populat . If he has that kind of positive popularity. Allama Iqabl would not have bitterly opposed MAJ alliance with Sikandar hayat.

Notable Sufis and Pirs which comes in my mind who influenced Punjab rural population were the Pirs of Gollarah sharif meher ali shah and his sons. Pir jamat ali shah and other notable sufis and pirs. Shaukat hayat khan who influenced Urban punjab population which ultimately broke unionist back in Punjab

I mixed up. It was his son Shaukat Hayat Khan which If I'm not wrong was instrumental in putting pressure on his father along with muslim members of Sikandar hayat party and cabinet to make an alliance with Quaid e Azam to present a common muslim front.

His elder brother was against ML and division, his son joined ML after his death. The fact is alliance was more to do with local politics of Punjab than any Muslim cause. SHK wanted support of ML against Fazli that's it, in short he was looking for his personal interests not because of ML had immense support in Punjab.

I dont think I would agree with you that Sikandar hayat had a positive impace on Punjab populat . If he has that kind of positive popularity. Allama Iqabl would not have bitterly opposed MAJ alliance with Sikandar hayat.

I am talking about impact of development of Punjab under his premiership 1937-42.

Notable Sufis and Pirs which comes in my mind who influenced Punjab rural population were the Pirs of Gollarah sharif meher ali shah and his sons. Pir jamat ali shah and other notable sufis and pirs. Shaukat hayat khan who influenced Urban punjab population which ultimately broke unionist back in Punjab

As i already said that SHK's death created vacuum which nobody from Unionists Party could fill. Defiantly Pirs had following but not enough to influence the elections of whole of Punjab.

Last edited:
I think credit should go to the people who demanded & fought for separation in the first place. Jinnah & his gang fought for it. So main credit goes to them. Next one was british and congress because both were part of decision making process.

Back
Top Bottom