What's new

pakistan is being looted via expensive Qatari gas

Iran did offer $500m loan for construction of Pakistan's portion but had later backed out.

"Pakistan in October asked Iran to shoulder the entire $2 billion cost of building the Pakistani part of the pipeline, but Iran declined. Iran had earlier assured Pakistan $500 million for the gas pipeline, but later backed out of that deal. "
I agree that India backed out of the deal. Hence they had no legal obligations.

But Iran didn't. Problem was that Pakistanis asked Iran to give that loan to Pakistan's local companies instead of Khatam Al Anbia in order to Complete the Pakistani section of the pipeline. Pakistan wanted cheap gas beside a big loan with low interest, in fact Pakistan would have picked a part of that loan and paid for Iranian gas. Which means Pakistan didn't only pay any price for the imported gas but also they wanted Iran to pay for it. If Iran even paid that loan to Pakistani companies it wasn't clear that whether Pakistan stayed loyal to own words.

I think that Pakistanis counted on US sanctions more than usual and Iran shut the door on their faces. In case Iran complains to international court Pakistan will surely get condemned and would have to pay the compensation.

It is a mercy from Iranian side not to take the problem to international courts.

Pakistan would have picked a part of that loan and paid for Iranian gas. Which means Pakistan didn't only pay any price for the imported gas but also they wanted Iran to pay for it. If Iran even paid that loan to Pakistani companies it wasn't clear that whether Pakistan stayed loyal to own words.

Hi,

The loan was a meagre $500million for a $2Billion (now almost $3B) pipeline, which would have been paid by Pakistan to Iran by levelling a tariff on end consumer (usually 10% of contract price).

The gas Pakistan was supposed to have from Iran was 750mmscf/day. That is, at today's Brent price levels, contract price would have been $9.3936/mmbtu or $7.0452million daily paid by Pakistan to Iran plus a section of pipeline tariff to pay for that $500million loan. I don't understand how was this gas free for Pakistan?

Was Pakistan asking for another soft loan on rolling bases to pay for Iranian gas on top of this $500million (meant for construction), some kind of deferred payment mechanism similar to what we have with KSA, UAE and Qatar? Is that what you are referring to?

Regardless, in today's market conditions, IP is not feasible, unless a better price is renegotiated that reflects today's market and is based of Henry Hub or AECO (gas-linked benchmarks) contrary to oil-linked benchmarks. The gas was supposed to be delivered at Iran-Pakistan border, and hence the end user will have to pay for tariffs of two additional pipelines. 1) From Iran border to Gawader to Nawabshah or to Karachi and 2) From Karachi or Nawabshah to Kasur/ Lahore. These two pipelines are itself capital intensive and will cost atleast $5Billion combined. Pakistan does not have spare cash for such a project.

It made sense when India was the end-user, but without India, the whole project is not feasible. Zardari government should not have signed this GSPA in first place. Maybe in future, if China decides to import Iranian gas, through Pakistan, the project could be revived.

In case Iran complains to international court Pakistan will surely get condemned and would have to pay the compensation.

PPP (Zardari) government should not have signed this GSPA in first place. It is a disaster for Pakistan. Pakistan had prepared a force majeure detailing Pakistan's efforts for securing finances from several financial institutions like ADB and EXIM Bank of China, who all have backed out. The affair at International Courts would not have been so one sided. Regardless of the outcome of such litigation, it would have also blocked Iranian access to any Indian and Chinese market through Pakistani lands and seas. Nonetheless, Pakistan is and should be grateful to Iranians for deferring any international litigations and handling the affair bilaterally.

Problem was that Pakistanis asked Iran to give that loan to Pakistan's local companies instead of Khatam Al Anbia in order to Complete the Pakistani section of the pipeline.

Hi,

And why was this ask so outrageous?

Firstly, Pakistan based EPC companies like Descon have all the technical expertise to handle such a project, specially when the diameter of pipeline was reduced from 56in to 42in. ISGS was struggling to raise funds for the project, and they asked Iran's help in raising those funds, they had and have all the expertise to operate the pipeline and manage the project independently.

Secondly, giving an IRGC linked engineering company unhindered access to the lengths and breadths of Pakistan, specially in Baluchistan, would have been a security disaster. It was a good decision by the government not to entertain any such demands from Iran.

Pakistan wanted cheap gas beside a big loan with low interest

Please see Post # 30.

I have tried to explain in great details, as to how the Iranian gas through IP was not cheap or even cheaper when compared to Pakistan's other contracts (whether Qatar, Eni, Gunvor Lng contracts or gas through TAPI). This myth, propagated by certain quarters and PPP in Pakistan, must be countered by Pakistan government.

Last edited:
I have tried to explain in great details, as to how the Iranian gas through IP was not cheap or even cheaper when compared to Pakistan's other contracts (whether Qatar, Eni, Gunvor Lng contracts or gas through TAPI). This myth, propagated by certain quarters and PPP in Pakistan, must be countered by Pakistan government.

yes

only in pakistan LNG is cheaper than NG

oilprice.com

LNG - 30 USD /mmbtu

NG - 5 USD / mmbtu

------------

why go for LNG ?

dealer mafia , truck mafia , storage mafia

----------

all other talk is hogwash

I agree that India backed out of the deal. Hence they had no legal obligations.

But Iran didn't. Problem was that Pakistanis asked Iran to give that loan to Pakistan's local companies instead of Khatam Al Anbia in order to Complete the Pakistani section of the pipeline. Pakistan wanted cheap gas beside a big loan with low interest, in fact Pakistan would have picked a part of that loan and paid for Iranian gas. Which means Pakistan didn't only pay any price for the imported gas but also they wanted Iran to pay for it. If Iran even paid that loan to Pakistani companies it wasn't clear that whether Pakistan stayed loyal to own words.

I think that Pakistanis counted on US sanctions more than usual and Iran shut the door on their faces. In case Iran complains to international court Pakistan will surely get condemned and would have to pay the compensation.

It is a mercy from Iranian side not to take the problem to international courts.

get ready

LNG rates are about to go moon

tabdeeli much ?

yes

oilprice.com

LNG - 30 USD /mmbtu

NG - 5 USD / mmbtu

------------

why go for LNG ?

----------

Hi,

From where, and how will you procure natural gas and that too from spot? And how will it be brought to Pakistan? And in which form will it be?

I hope when you find answers to above, you will understand the naivety of your approach and foul comparisons.

yes

oilprice.com

LNG - 30 USD /mmbtu

NG - 5 USD / mmbtu

------------

why go for LNG ?

----------

They are just justifying a blunder over and over again.

Turks despite having western mindset and and despite being a NATO member bought Iranian natural gas.

According to @farok84 Turks are too stupid and his American mentors are Wise to stop Pakistan from falling into evil Iranians' trap and gave Pakistan cheap LNG lol. Any sane man with a functioning brain knows benefits of NG through pipeline over expensive LNG.

Turks despite having western mindset and and despite being a NATO member bought Iranian natural gas.

According to @farok84 Turks are too stupid and his American mentors are Wise to stop Pakistan from falling into evil Iranians' trap and gave Pakistan cheap LNG lol. Any sane man with a functioning brain knows benefits of NG through pipeline over expensive LNG.

Hi,

I will appreciate if you dismiss anything what I wrote with facts and not conjectures and preferred notions.

Please go through the post where I have detailed IP pricing from reputable Pakistan and International news outlets and kindly elaborate in detail, how IP gas was or is cheaper compared to other existing long term contracts?

Hi,

From where, and how will you procure natural gas and that too from spot? And how will it be brought to Pakistan? And in which form will it be?

I hope when you find answers to above, you will understand the naivety of your approach and foul comparisons.

any source to rebuke my claim ?

i have read your entire posts, you have failed to provide a single shred of evidence that LNG is cheaper vs NG

----------------

are you telling me that pakistan will get ( and is getting) LNG at mkt spot rate, but wont get NG at spot rate ?

im sorry, you should stay away from topics you have no understanding about !

---------------

:LNG spot ( as of today ) = 30USd /mmbtu
NG spot ( as of today ) = 5 USD /mbtu

iran would gladly sell NG at spot rates

if any one , on this forum, can prove to me that pakistan is getting LNG at cheaper x rate vs NG , ill delete my account

------------

iran pak gas pipeline was scuttled for one reason = LNG mafia + LNG ship mafia + local distributor mafia

What's the end deal with this pipeline?

We keep getting fines and it'll continue to increase if we do nothing
Not to mention Iranians are angry because of it- an upset neighbor

I get it without India some are saying it's not financially feasible
But what are our options now?

Pitch the project to Chinese? - well not too sure if they'll want it or if it's feasible (passing through Himalayas.... Yeah... )
Last time we made a highway 100s died

What are our options here? What can we do?

@farok84

Pitch the project to Chinese? - well not too sure if they'll want it or if it's feasible (passing through Himalayas.... Yeah... )

@farok84
Chinese will prefer Russian gas for both geographic and geopolitical reasons. Another problem is that western China may not have enough demand because of their skewed population distribution.

I think that Pakistan will eventually pay for the pipeline on its own when there is an economic case for it (because of an increase in its industrial capacity)

any source to rebuke my claim ?

i have read your entire posts, you have failed to provide a single shred of evidence that LNG is cheaper vs NG

Hi,

Please read again.

I have provided ample support for gas procured through Iran-Pakistan long term contract to be costlier than Lng procured from Qatar, Eni or Gunvor long term contracts.

Hi,

The price of Iranian Gas through Iran-Pakistan Pipeline after proposed amendments in earlier signed GSPA was around equivalent to 12% (1) of Brent. Iran did not sign this amendment and only gave verbal commitments. So, the earlier signed GSPA linked to JCC (Japan Crude Cocktail) still stands with price equivalent to 14.25% (2) -13.4% (3) of Brent. Even if they had signed the amended GSPA (at 12% Brent), the price was outrageous and made no sense (even in 2017) and was even higher than Pakistan Lng contracts with Eni and Gunvor (priced at 11.6247-12.14% & 11.6247%) (5), that were signed in 2016. Their signed offered price stands at equivalent to +13.4% Brent, even higher than Qatar (13.37% Brent) 2016 Lng contract. Our new Qatar contract is priced at 10.2% Brent (4).

(1) https://www.thenews.com.pk/amp/180093-Pakistan-in-talks-with-Iran-to-renegotiate-IP-project-GSPA

"Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, minister for petroleum and natural resources, told the upper house that the government has requested Iranian authorities to bring changes in the gas sale and purchase agreement (GSPA). The price of natural gas, under GSPA, was agreed at $12 per million metric British thermal unit (MMBtu), if crude oil price stood at $100/bbl in the international market."

(2) https://www.dawn.com/news/1238783

"Compared with the natural gas import options, the government claimed the delivery price at border under the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline was $5.70 per MMBTU at $40 Brent price and that of Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India was $5.90."

(3) https://www.oxfordenergy.org/wpcms/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/NG-77.pdf
Page 37 of 87 (or 30)

View attachment 794597

(4) http://www.ogra.org.pk/download/6761

View attachment 794605

(5) http://www.ogra.org.pk/download/6568

View attachment 794603

If you are interested, please read following for Eni, Gunvor and IP GSPAs.

are you telling me that pakistan will get ( and is getting) LNG at mkt spot rate, but wont get NG at spot rate ?

im sorry, you should stay away from topics you have no understanding about !

Yes, I am and any professional who has an ounce of understanding of the industry will tell you the same.

Natural gas is not sold in spot International markets like Lng, I hope I don't have to explain this absurd notion. Any spot sales of NG are limited to local markets, that already have infrastructure and contracts in place to accommodate such transactions.

:LNG spot ( as of today ) = 30USd /mmbtu
NG spot ( as of today ) = 5 USD /mbtu

iran would gladly sell NG at spot rates

No, Iran won't.

Can you please provide any evidence that Iran has agreed to sell it's gas at Henry Hub prices to Pakistan. Iran had not even signed amended GSPA in PMLN era, according to which the indexation benchmarks were to be changed from JCC to Brent and price to be lowered from +13.4% to 12% of Brent. Please read the articles shared in Post # 30. The gas through IP would have cost us $9.4968/mmbtu (at Brent $79.14/bbl) and not $4.89/mmbtu.

I will lobby for Iran-Pakistan pipeline, if Iran ever agrees to sell Pakistan her NG at Henry Hub prices. I have in fact said multiple times on this forum that Iran should scrap the GSPA it had earlier signed with Zardari government and should agree to sell it's gas at Henry Hub prices, the day Iran signed such an agreement, Pakistan will start construction the next day.

Iran and Turkey have an existence long term (25 years) natural gas supply agreement (since 2001, ending in 2026) through their Tabriz to Ankara pipeline, which they are renegotiating now. It is the costliest gas that Turkey buys through all her pipeline gas contracts. The price at which it is importing now is around $12.57/mmbtu and that too after Turkey dragged Iran to International Courts.

"Pricing has long been a bone of contention between Turkey and Iran when it comes to energy. Under a 25-year agreement signed in 2001, Iran exports 10 billion cubic meters of gas annually to Turkey at a price of $507 per thousand cubic meters. Turkey first objected to Iran’s prices in 2009, when it said they were too expensive and demanded a discount. Soon after, an arbitration court granted Turkey a 12.5 percent discount on the original price. In 2012 Turkey took action against Iran again, suing it for overpricing on gas sales, and in 2016 the International Court of Arbitration (ICA) ruled against Iran in its dispute with Turkey. After reviewing the case, the ICA ordered Iran to reduce its gas prices by 13.3% by the end of 2016 and pay $1.9 billion in compensation to Turkey due to overpricing."

@farok84

Hi,

CPEC has a planned tunnel for its third phase and also a pipeline. Chinese have the engineering expertise and equipment (Tunnel Boring Machines) and financial backing, it is upto us to provide them with political backing. They are already building tunnels in Tibet for their railway projects using TBMs.

The whole idea of CPEC was to provide China with a secure alternative to Malacca straits for its energy imports from GCC and Iran. They have committed $400 Billion investment in Iran, out of which $250B is set aside for Oil/ Gas imports. So, China, will find a secure way other than Malacca Straits for its transportation. Whether it will be through Central Asia (following China-Central Asia pipelines) or through CPEC, entirely depends upon Pakistan.

For, Iran-Pakistan pipeline, I don't see this project going anywhere until Iran lowers its gas prices. The challenges do not just stops at the gas prices. As per the current GSPA, delivery point is at Iran-Pakistan border and Iran's obligations end there. That is, Pakistan will have to find a way to bring that gas from I-P border to Punjab. In its current design, the pipeline passes through Gwadar and culminates at Nawabshah. This will have to be extended to Lahore or tied into PSGP. These will cost additional tariff(s) to end consumer (typically 10% of contract price or additional $1.2/mmbtu when Brent is at $100/bbl, if the finances are coming from International lenders).

Last edited:
Hi,

Please read again.

I have provided ample support for gas procured through Iran-Pakistan long term contract to be costlier than Lng procured from Qatar, Eni or Gunvor long term contracts.

Yes, I am and any professional who has an ounce of understanding of the industry will tell you the same.

Natural gas is not sold in spot International markets like Lng, I hope I don't have to explain this absurd notion. Any spot sales of NG are limited to local markets, that already have infrastructure and contracts in place to accommodate such transactions.

No, Iran won't.

Can you please provide any evidence that Iran has agreed to sell it's gas at Henry Hub prices to Pakistan. Iran had not even signed amended GSPA in PMLN era, according to which the indexation benchmarks were to be changed from JCC to Brent and price to be lowered from +13.4% to 12% of Brent. Please read the articles shared in Post # 30. The gas through IP would have cost us $9.4968/mmbtu (at Brent $79.14/bbl) and not $4.89/mmbtu.

I will lobby for Iran-Pakistan pipeline, if Iran ever agrees to sell Pakistan her NG at Henry Hub prices. I have in fact said multiple times on this forum that Iran should scrap the GSPA it had earlier signed with Zardari government and should agree to sell it's gas at Henry Hub prices, the day Iran signed such an agreement, Pakistan will start construction the next day.

Iran and Turkey have an existence long term (25 years) natural gas supply agreement (since 2001, ending in 2026) through their Tabriz to Ankara pipeline, which they are renegotiating now. It is the costliest gas that Turkey buys through all her pipeline gas contracts. The price at which it is importing now is around $12.57/mmbtu and that too after Turkey dragged Iran to International Courts.

"Pricing has long been a bone of contention between Turkey and Iran when it comes to energy. Under a 25-year agreement signed in 2001, Iran exports 10 billion cubic meters of gas annually to Turkey at a price of $507 per thousand cubic meters. Turkey first objected to Iran’s prices in 2009, when it said they were too expensive and demanded a discount. Soon after, an arbitration court granted Turkey a 12.5 percent discount on the original price. In 2012 Turkey took action against Iran again, suing it for overpricing on gas sales, and in 2016 the International Court of Arbitration (ICA) ruled against Iran in its dispute with Turkey. After reviewing the case, the ICA ordered Iran to reduce its gas prices by 13.3% by the end of 2016 and pay $1.9 billion in compensation to Turkey due to overpricing."

Hi,
Please read again.

no , you havent posted nor shared a single shred of evidence from PAKISTANI govt sources which claim that iranian NG was expensive vs qatari LNG

wtf

intl spot rates are prices decided by the market makers ( based on demand supply) . are you telling me that paksitan is buying crude and LNG at intl spot rates but wont get NG at the same ?
im sorry, but this is just plain b.s coming from you ,

and again, as usual , you share no evidence to back up your conjectures

No, Iran won't.

says who ? any source ? any link ?

c
an you please any evidence that qatari LNG is cheaper vs iranian NG ?

more irrelavant and offtopic discourse . what is even the source of these posts you are writing ? you are on a public forum,not reddit , for gods sake

IP Gas Pipeline: A Viable Option?

Out of all the above options IP Gas Pipeline appears to be the most viable and cheapest option. In his article entitled: ‘Not a Pipedream’, Raise (2013) has described this project as the most suitable option. He argues that:

This pipeline, in a very short time frame of about 15 months, can ease pressure on Pakistan’s energy shortages and substitute the use of expensive furnace oil for power generation. A gas flow of 21.5 million cubic meters daily will have multiple positive gains for Pakistan’s economy. Secondly, we have not sufficiently realised the benefits of regional trade, investments and economic connectivity. Our markets for whatever we produce are in distant places . . . through the framework of regional organisations and at a bilateral level, we need to move towards Iran, India and Afghanistan and through Afghanistan to Central Asia. This is the region that is going to be the hub of economic growth and prosperity for the next half century. We shouldn’t miss any opportunity that opens up for us. Bringing in China in our infrastructural projects and building of the gas pipeline are steps in the right direction for a future full of positive gains.

Most Pakistani political leaders have voiced their opinions as pro-IPI pipeline, and feel that Pakistan should look into its own national interests and not to bow to US pressure. The former governor of Balochistan, Nawab Zulfiqar Ali Magsi, openly spoke out against the pressure from the West and expressed his interest in the pipeline which will be constructed in the Balochistan province. The Baloch people are hoping that the pipeline will bring economic prosperity and stability in the region. If Pakistan continues to go ahead with the deal, it will improve its bilateral ties with Iran. Enhancing economic ties will help the two countries to overcome their differences over the Balochistan province, the situation in Afghanistan and the sectarian issue of Shias and Sunnis. It will also help develop a relationship of mutual trust fostered by a common goal (Khan, 2013).

Geo-Economic and Geo-Political Implications

There are several benefits that IP Gas Pipeline may bring for Pakistan. The detail of some of these benefits is as under.

• The IP gas pipeline is an important, component of Pakistan’s overall energy requirement mix. It will help Pakistan to overcome its energy crisis by filling the gap between supply and demand. It will not only help minimize natural gas shortage of 1,000 to 1,500 mcfd but will also meet the shortage of 5000 to 6000 MW electricity.

• In total, the IP would cost around $3 billion to Pakistan but it would reduce oil imports by $5.3 billion, and help buy oil for another $2.3 billion, thus saved.

• It will help to preserve declining indigenous gas reserves of Pakistan which are expected to deplete by 2020.

• If Pakistan did not opt for pipeline projects then it would have to face even more serious consequences than the ones US was likely to impose on Pakistan in case of doing gas project with Iran.

• The imported gas from Iran will help replace the costly furnace oil being used as fuel in power houses in Pakistan that will help to save one billion dollars per annum. There is a clause in the agreement that if Pakistan arranges import of gas from other states at lower price than Iran will also do that accordingly.

• The project will provide job opportunities in Balochistan and Sindh.

• Pakistan can earn transit fee if the pipeline is extended to third country, i.e., India and China.

• Gas supply to power sector has been diminishing. Power sector would be key beneficiary from IP Gas pipeline.

• Starting of this project with Iran will also open new avenues for cooperation. Iran has proposed that an electricity transmission network can be built next to pipeline, connecting electricity grid of Iran with that of Pakistan, India and China and offered to sell electricity at a subsidised rate. Iran with the cooperation of Pakistan’s State Oil (PSO) will also invest four billion dollars to build an oil refinery at Gwadar Port having refining capacity of 400,000 barrels of oil per day (Stratrisks, 2013).

• The Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline deal would have provided 21.5 million cubic meters of natural gas for Pakistan on a daily basis, starting in late 2014. The pipeline could eventually be extended to India, which was also a partner in the deal before. In such eventuality, not only Pakistan but also economically growing and energy-starved India will benefit, and, consequently, India-Pakistan peace will flourish and the whole of South Asia will see the sort of stability the United States and the rest of the international community aspires for the region.

• Keeping in view that excess gas of 350 mcfd may be available after fulfilling needs of power sector, the fertilizers and captive power units in textiles and chemicals likely to be the key beneficiaries. While the government has already committed gas to fertilizer plants on SNGPL network, it is believed that a share of the excess can be diverted to FFBL urea plant which is currently operating at 50 percent capacity.

• Sectarian BridgeOne critical aspect of the Iran-Pakistan pipeline is the simple fact that it will bring sectarian harmony in Pakistan.
Islamabad policy research institute has done a thorough cost benefit analysis for IP project

i could not find a single line or source which mentions anything out of blue

Back
Top Bottom