What's new

Pakistan irrigation System updates

My father told me that chinese were dumbfolded when they saw our irrigation system

They were surpised how much waste we have..

Noone does flood irrigation anymore

Countries produce 50-100x more with water we use
Be it california or china or turkey or african countries
Pakistan is in the top 5 countries that waste the most water. We need to dig up a major canal through Balochistan and irrigate that land and bring it under cultivation.

Most of all we need to create reservoirs. I lived in Northern California most of my life, and in the mountains they've create countless little and big reservoir to store water.

Last edited:
Beauty of Tarani Mori near Fazal Stop in Dist Tando Allahyar of Sindh..

1642024009205.png

1642024039633.png

1642024071034.png

ISLAMABAD - Mohmand Dam would irrigate 18,237 acres more land besides supplementing 160,000 acres of existing land after completion.

The Mohmand Dam would be the fifth highest concrete-face-rock-fill dam in the world, which would be completed by 2025 with an estimated cost of Rs 309.56 billion.

According to an official of Water and Power Development Authority, Mohmand Dam powerhouse will generate 800MW hydroelectricity. In addition, 300 million gallons water per day will also be provided to Peshawar for drinking purpose. He said dam would provide 2.86 billion units of electricity to the national grid and the annual benefits of the project have been estimated at Rs51.6 billion.

The dam is being constructed on River Swat about five kilometers upstream of Munda Headworks in Mohmand district and is considered a vital contribution towards the water, food and energy security of Pakistan. On completion, the dam will store about 1.2 million acre feet (MAF) of water and help mitigate floods in Peshawar, Charsadda and Naushera. Besides supplementing 160,000 acres of existing land, about 18,237 acres of new land will also be irrigated.

Pakistan is in the top 5 countries that waste the most water. We need to dig up a major canal through Balochistan and irrigate that land and bring it under cultivation.

Most of all we need to create reservoirs. I lived in Northern California most of my life, and in the mountains they've create countless little and big reservoir to store water.
Check out the “Pakistan flood control system” which was presented to WAPDA more then 10 years ago but didn’t gain much traction. A major canal is shown (which could even be navigable; and could lower transportation costs for goods) and it has provisions for reservoirs

The only things I think this report needs is a provision for groundwater/aquifer replenishment infrastructure, as well as water treatment plants in all major cities, and to extend the Grand Indus canal from the Indus all the way to Lahore to make water and food transfer more resilient.

BTW, I’m not the author of this presentation, but I am an ardent supporter since I first saw it. Also, if we can reach the point where we are water secure, we can use water to supply a chip manufacturing plant or turn coal into diesel or do hydraulic fracking of our shale reserves or turn more marginal land into arable land.

To your point about Northern California, see the part about the Makran canal, modeled after the California canal system.

Hopefully with enough electricity and excess water, sone of the water could be pumped up onto the Baluchistan plateau and turn the province more green, which along with its great climate could open up a number of opportunities.

Last edited:

Katchi canal is being extended. lands as far as Dera Bugti is in the process of being made arable.

Wapda is building a project on the Sindh River Dam on the Damir Bhasha Dam which is to be completed in 2028-29. Continuous work is being done day and night at the Damir Bhasha Dam so that this project can be completed as soon as possible and made available for public interest.

The project will have the capacity to store 8.1 million acres of total water to plow 1.23 million acres of additional land which will revolutionize the agriculture sector.

1646698154038.png

1646698216312.png

Darawat Dam

It is concrete gravity dam across Nai Baran River near Village of Jhangri in Jamshoro district of Sindh.

Lake Manchar...
Dadu, Sindh

1647198950663.png

Lake Manchar
1. One of the largest natural freshwater lakes of Pakistan. Its tributaries arise from the Kirthar mountain range (Balochistan - Sindh boundary).
2. There are numerous Harrapan era archaeological sites (4,000 BCE).
3. There is a population of Mohana Tribe (The Boat People).

Jamshoro..Sehwan Sharif..Dadu, Sindh..

1647199154885.png

Shakardara Dam, Distt. Attock, Punjab...

1647980915826.png

1647980943900.png

Punjab advocates telemetry system to solve water disputes

Amjad Mahmood
March 31, 2022

Punjab has suggested immediate installation of the telemetry system on Indus basin irrigation system as a permanent solution to end water disputes between provinces, while a private water resource management body pleads for a barrage close to the Sindh border to manage complaints of water theft by Punjab.

Punjab Irrigation Minister Mohsin Leghari suggested at a dialogue on inter-province water disputes held here on Wednesday that the permanent solution to put an end to the argument between Punjab and Sindh as well as Sindh and Balochistan on water share was the telemetry system.

The water gauging system, he said, must be installed as early as possible so that the inter-province bickering causing bad blood among the people is curbed and to deal with the water shortage problem.

The minister also called for adopting advanced irrigation methods to increase the water productivity and building new reservoirs, particularly Kalabagh Dam, as it requires the shortest time – six to seven years – for its construction. He argued that India had built 5,202 large dams since 1947, whereas Pakistan had constructed only two as per the Central Water Commission data.

Advocating the need for promoting cultivation of drought-tolerant but more productive value crops, Mr Leghari also supported the three-tier approach for distribution of water among the provinces to meet their irrigation needs.

Sulaimaan Ahmad of Sindh Tas Water Council suggested construction of a barrage at Kot Mithan, Rajanpur district, in Punjab on the Indus river to curb water theft complaints of Sindh province and Punjab’s grievances that Sindh does not allow water availability measurement at Guddu barrage.

He said water from the proposed site could reach Guddu barrage in Sindh within six hours, while it takes six days even during summers from Chashma Barrage in Mianwali district. Sindh complains that water is stolen downstream Chashma through tubewells, he said.

He proposed that even Kachhi canal should be fed from the proposed Kot Mithan barrage so that Balochistan’s complaints against Sindh for not supplying its due share of water from Guddu barrage were also settled.

Punjab University Vice-Chancellor Dr Niaz Ahmad Akhtar, Punjab Planning & Development member Dr M Abid Bodla and others also spoke.

Meanwhile, Mr Leghari chaired a meeting of the Punjab Water Resource Commission which discussed rules for appointment of water undertakers for better management and conservation of subsoil water resources.

The meeting also approved rules and regulations for implementation of the Water Act 2019. It was attended by Agriculture Minister Syed Hussain Jahanian Gardezi, Industries Minister Mian Aslam Iqbal, Chief Secretary Kamran Afzal, Additional Chief Secretary Ali Murtaza, Irrigation Secretary Saif Anjum, Water Resources Regulatory Authority DG Amer Khan, technical member Arif Anwar, Qadeer Baig and officials of relevant departments.

Published in Dawn, March 31st, 2022

Karez

Gravity-fed underground water supply system.
The Holes are used to access the water channel for maintenance purposes. Balochistan....

277753542_5227619660652790_1323310952746766289_n.jpg

277744625_5227619503986139_2589406754679112573_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom