What's new

Pakistan in talks with US to procure latest F-16 jets: Air chief

sonicboom

Reaction score
Pakistan in talks with US to procure latest F-16 jets: Air chief
MATEEN HAIDER

ISLAMABAD: Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman on Monday said Pakistan is in negotiations with the United States to procure the latest F-16 fighter jets, but did not specify an exact number.

“We are in talks with US defence officials to get some latest F-16s but the deal may take some time,” the Air chief said while talking to reporters after the rolling out ceremony of the 16th JF-17 Thunder aircraft at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) Kamra.

The Air chief said by the year 2020, Pakistan Air Force will say “goodbye to some of its old fighter jets including the Mirage.”

He expressed satisfaction over the production and quality level of the JF-17 Thunder and said it is at par with the F-16 in terms of performance and operations.

Pakistan in talks with US to procure latest F-16 jets: Air chief - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

12369213_10153793790894919_7963140124510282113_n.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman on Monday said Pakistan is in negotiations with the United States to procure the latest F-16 fighter jets, but did not specify an exact number.

“We are in talks with US defence officials to get some latest F-16s but the deal may take some time,” the Air chief said while talking to reporters after the rolling out ceremony of the 16th JF-17 Thunder aircraft at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) Kamra.

The Air chief said by the year 2020, Pakistan Air Force will say “goodbye to some of its old fighter jets including the Mirage.”

He expressed satisfaction over the production and quality level of the JF-17 Thunder and said it is at par with the F-16 in terms of performance and operations.

Guys it is just a suggestion from my side.
Now its time for PAF to induct twin engine aircraft.:tup:
This will give her better strike inside enemy land ( I know whats in u r mind :D)

@waz I think there is another thread running.
Plz merge it.

Guys it is just a suggestion from my side.
Now its time for PAF to induct twin engine aircraft.:tup:
This will give her better strike inside enemy land ( I know whats in u r mind :D)

F16 is the best proven and tested platform and our Air force is an old user of these machines.

They should coordinate with Turkey for TAI TFX.

The professional is, where he doesn't need to tell the achievements yet his work speaks itself. Hats off to the Chief (ACM) indeed.

Pakistan Zindabad

If the JF-17 is "at par" then why get more F-16s?

Technologically at par, not physically. F-16 is medium weight class, JF-17 is light weight......around 3 tonnes of difference in their respective payload ability.

Actually, with the IRST or AESA, JF-17 will surpass F-16 in detection ability....and the SD-10Bs are as good as the AIM120 C5s

Technologically at par, not physically. F-16 is medium weight class, JF-17 is light weight......around 3 tonnes of difference in their respective payload ability.

Actually, with the IRST or AESA, JF-17 will surpass F-16 in detection ability....and the SD-10Bs are as good as the AIM120 C5s

What he said is the JF-17 is "at par with the F-16 in terms of performance and operations". If so, then why get more F-16s?

This man will transform PAF before leaving, speaking to his subordinates gives you that feeling.

Sir Ji.... aren't these the same 8 birds that PAF was in talks with US lastly and there were hundreds of posts as well. :)

Pakistan Zindabad

What he said is the JF-17 is "at par with the F-16 in terms of performance and operations". If so, then why get more F-16s?

Performance and operations could also mean that the reliability and sortie rate of JF-17s is at par with F-16s......that means a lot as well. SU30 might be superior, but it's reliability and sortie rate is absolute crap with IAF. In war i need jets that can be up and running in the air without long downtime and MTBFs

Since the f-16 was designed to be very proficient during the cold war, it was no doubt, a gold benchmark....and with PAF developing it's own jet and access to F-16s, it makes sense to make something that reliable.

F-16 can not carry our home produced and Chinese weapons like ALCM, C-802 and CM -400 AKG. Hence the need for JF-17. JF-17 can not carry as much load (6000kg vs 3700kg) and can not fly as long and as far. Hence the need for F-16.

Back
Top Bottom