What's new

Pakistan has ‘very, very key position’ in South Asia: Kerry

Sugarcane

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WASHINGTON: US Secretary of State John Kerry said on Friday that recent developments in South Asia had placed Pakistan in a “very, very key” position and had further increased the need for staying engaged with that country.

“Obviously, Pakistan is very, very key now, has been for 70 years,” the secretary said. “Now with the transition in Afghanistan, with the new government in India, with certain challenges that we’re both facing in terms of counter-terrorism,” it had become even more crucial to stay engaged with Pakistan, he added.

According to a transcript released by the US State Department in Washington, Secretary Kerry made these remarks before his meeting with Pakistan’s National Security Adviser Sartaj Aziz in London.

The top US diplomat noted that the two countries also had “major economic issues” to talk about, particularly the “huge challenge” that Pakistan was facing in meeting its energy demands.

“We have a lot to discuss, and particularly at this moment … I think it’s good that we have a chance to be able to meet,” he said.

Mr Aziz said he had come to London to attend a conference on ending sexual violence in conflict regions but wanted to avail the opportunity for also discussing bilateral issues with Mr Kerry.

He noted that the United States and Pakistan held their strategic dialogue in March, and “it’s always useful to follow up to see what progress has been made, what more needs to be done”.

He said that since a lot of things were happening in the South Asia region, “this is a very good chance” for exchanging views on those developments.

Published in Dawn, June 14th, 2014

Pakistan has ‘very, very key position’ in South Asia: Kerry - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

“Obviously, Pakistan is very, very key now, has been for 70 years,” the secretary said. “Now with the transition in Afghanistan, with the new government in India, with certain challenges that we’re both facing in terms of counter-terrorism,” it had become even more crucial to stay engaged with Pakistan, he added.

Its all about Afghanistan and India. They want to keep Pakistan happy it seems. An angry Pakistan is bad for itself plus bad for Afghanistan and India.

Its all about Afghanistan and India. They want to keep Pakistan happy it seems. An angry Pakistan is bad for itself plus bad for Afghanistan and India.

They are not even least bit concerned with India or afghanistan. They just want us to cover their A$$ while they run with tails between their legs.

They are not even least bit concerned with India or afghanistan. They just want us to cover their A$$ while they run with tails between their legs.

The lack of sheer common sense is pretty obvious in this e-mail. You guys can't keep your public secured. How are you going to secure a super power exiting????? Grandiose when exceeds a certain grandiose threshold, it becomes bi-polar disorder and requires proper medical treatment. Thought I'd let you know. Btw, we are leaving Afghanistan because we got none to do there. We achieved our goals and its now time to bring our boys home. Our military leaders however would LOVE to stay there.
Leaving due to goals met is one thing, any imagination to the contrary is sheer delusion. If anything else happens out of Afghanistan, we'll be back tomorrow....

The lack of sheer common sense is pretty obvious in this e-mail. You guys can't keep your public secured. How are you going to secure a super power exiting????? Grandiose when exceeds a certain grandiose threshold, it becomes bi-polar disorder and requires proper medical treatment. Thought I'd let you know. Btw, we are leaving Afghanistan because we got none to do there. We achieved our goals and its now time to bring our boys home. Our military leaders however would LOVE to stay there.
Leaving due to goals met is one thing, any imagination to the contrary is sheer delusion. If anything else happens out of Afghanistan, we'll be back tomorrow....

You americans and your delusions. Afghanistan is as safe as Iraq is right now. You people are only good at crapping all over and leaving when you have no place left to shit.
Sure you will be back as this statement clearly tell all the story.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/12/w...rstrikes-on-militants-officials-say.html?_r=0
Iraqis are probably praying right now for saddam to be resurrected.

Actually they are. They wish to install India as the Policeman of South Asia and possibly Central Asia. USA is NOT leaving Afghanistan, they will continue to have a presence of CIA operations in Afg, Pak and Central Asia.

You americans and your delusions. Afghanistan is as safe as Iraq is right now. You people are only good at crapping all over and leaving when you have no place left to shit.

Bro if you have such strong hatred towards us, then why come to daddy for everything including salaries of your government? Then you learn to be a responsible nation with high integrity and the world is yours. You guys beg for everything but then have nothing positive to say about the US's help???
We go in, achieve our objectives and try to leave a stable nation behind. However, we are not the parents, the country has to run on its own the right way. Its the system like yours that even after a cleanup, restricts countries from moving forward as there is so much corruption with everything.

Bro if you have such strong hatred towards us, then why come to daddy for everything including salaries of your government? Then you learn to be a responsible nation with high integrity and the world is yours. You guys beg for everything but then have nothing positive to say about the US's help???
We go in, achieve our objectives and try to leave a stable nation behind. However, we are not the parents, the country has to run on its own the right way. Its the system like yours that even after a cleanup, restricts countries from moving forward as there is so much corruption with everything.

What kind of delusions are you people living in? What government salaries did USA pay for us? Only thing US is providing us is CSF which accounts for all the usage of our roads and communication system of pakistan. Since 2011 US govt did not provide any sort of aid which is mostly given to NGOs. Our military disowned any aid offered by US and told them to spend it on development projects. US aint the end of the world so get your head out of your arse.

In reality you people are the beggars who need our support to withdraw your personal and equipment from afghanistan otherwise be on mercy of Russian who are already handing your A$$ on platter in Ukraine.

Actually they are. They wish to install India as the Policeman of South Asia and possibly Central Asia. USA is NOT leaving Afghanistan, they will continue to have a presence of CIA operations in Afg, Pak and Central Asia.

Obviously USA needs a destabilized pakistan as they cant afford another stable economy with nuclear weapons in hands. US tried its best to ruin our economy by sudden withdrawal of its aid and investment so that our economy may collapse but instead our friend china as usual came to the rescue and started making steady investments to help our economy.
US will fail in its objectives as it failed in Iraq and Afghanistan and the most recent slap is Syria and Ukraine.

Last edited:
What kind of delusions are you people living in? What government salaries did USA pay for us? Only thing US is providing us is CSF which accounts for all the usage of our roads and communication system of pakistan. Since 2011 US govt did not provide any sort of aid which is mostly given to NGOs. Our military disowned any aid offered by US and told them to spend it on development projects. US aint the end of the world so get your head out of your arse.

In reality you people are the beggars who need our support to withdraw your personal and equipment from afghanistan otherwise be on mercy of Russian who are already handing your A$$ on platter in Ukraine.
Obviously USA needs a destabilized pakistan as they cant afford another stable economy with nuclear weapons in hands.
You are SO far off reality that I can't even begin to make you realize. If there is no aid, your country can't run. If there are no loans, you can't have electricity for the five hours you might do right now. Listen man, let's cut the crap. We should all know our shi*t smells worst than the other one.
I never said the US is the end of the world. But whether you like it or not, the US has been running the world since the WWII. We are not even involved in Ukraine. We support them but that's it. Trust me when I say this, if we get involved anywhere, we get our objectives accomplished no matter what the cost may be.

People like you make your country look so strange to readers like me with these stupid arguments and grandiosity statements. You'll barely see any Indian person saying crap like this about America or even others. But you guys have to show the hatred which has no basis. If I was sitting in the Pentagon or in the White House reading your posts, I'd think the people of Pakistan are enemies of the US so therefore we should cut the support system. Is that what you want? You're arguments are so silly and stupid, its sad. People should think before opening your mouth as your personal bias is making an entire country of 200 million people bad in front of many people who read it. These same readers will go tell others how much Pakistanis hate America. Great Press!!

back in Afghanistan ? obama will surely get an heart attack if he read your thought man ... USA will never come back to Afghanistan, mark my words

You are SO far off reality that I can't even begin to make you realize. If there is no aid, your country can't run. If there are no loans, you can't have electricity for the five hours you might do right now. Listen man, let's cut the crap. We should all know our shi*t smells worst than the other one.
I never said the US is the end of the world. But whether you like it or not, the US has been running the world since the WWII. We are not even involved in Ukraine. We support them but that's it. Trust me when I say this, if we get involved anywhere, we get our objectives accomplished no matter what the cost may be.

People like you make your country look so strange to readers like me with these stupid arguments and grandiosity statements. You'll barely see any Indian person saying crap like this about America or even others. But you guys have to show the hatred which has no basis. If I was sitting in the Pentagon or in the White House reading your posts, I'd think the people of Pakistan are enemies of the US so therefore we should cut the support system. Is that what you want? You're arguments are so silly and stupid, its sad. People should think before opening your mouth as your personal bias is making an entire country of 200 million people bad in front of many people who read it. These same readers will go tell others how much Pakistanis hate America. Great Press!!

Do support you claims with facts and figures. Pakistan didnt get single ounce of Aid and if you dnt want to pay for CSF go for Russian route as i am sure that they will be happy to give you passage.

Only thing you people that you people doing to this world is Ruining it rather than running it. Libya, Iraq, Syria, Vietnam, Afghanistan and now in yemen. You people are nothing but a failure for a super power.

Pakistanis hate americans due to their policies not because they enjoy it. You people killed almost 700 unarmed civilians including 150 children in tribal areas just to kill a few dozen alqaeda low level operatives and that is the reason for our hate.

January 2014 Update: US covert actions in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia | The Bureau of Investigative Journalism

As for us looking bad i dont think pakistanis even give a **** when it comes to Americans.

24/7 Wall St.: Countries that hate America most

Do support you claims with facts and figures. Pakistan didnt get single ounce of Aid and if you dnt want to pay for CSF go for Russian route as i am sure that they will be happy to give you passage.

Pakistanis hate americans due to their policies not because they enjoy it. You people killed almost 700 unarmed civilians including 150 children in tribal areas just to kill a few dozen alqaeda low level operatives and that is the reason for our hate.

As for us looking bad i dont think pakistanis even give a **** when it comes to Americans.

This mentality is the reason why Pakistanis worldwide suffer from bad reputation. Look at your bull crap you are telling me. You are so out of touch with reality its not even funny. I am listing aid figures below. These came from the congress and you can google them too. You don't need me to tell you what to type.
If anyone got killed during operations against talibans.....sorry, collateral damage happens in conflicts. Your own military's killed a lot of people....what about that? Heck, your own military has kidnapped its own citizens ....what about that??? That's against your constitution. So PLEASE, try to smell your shi*t before just spreading misinformation everywhere. People like you support Taliban, I can tell from your post. Sad part is, the same terrorists are killing your own countrymen but instead of going and taking care of it, you are still aimlessly bitch*ing about the US. Here's the aid numbers to get you close to the facts. And THANK YOU AMERICS by the way as people like you are thankless so I'd pay a thank you on your behalf!

U.S. financial aid to Pakistan since the September 11, 2001 attacks[edit]
Between 2002-2010, US Congress approved $18 billion[7] in military and economic aid from the United States. However the Pakistan Treasury only received $8.647 billion in direct financial payments.

Western officials have claimed nearly 70% (roughly $3.4 billion) of Military aid given to the military has been misspent in 2002-2007 and used to cover civilian deficit.However,Pakistan argues the civilian deficit was caused by poor economy from the War on Terror. However U.S-Pakistani relationship has been a transactional based and U.S military aid to Pakistan and aid conditions has been shrouded in secrecy for several years until recently .[8][9][9][10] Furthermore a significant proportion of U.S. economic aid for Pakistan has ended up in back in the U.S., as funds are channeled through large U.S. contractors. A U.S. lawmaker also said majority of U.S. economic aid has not left the U.S. as it spent on consulting fees and overhead cost.[11][12] Pakistan also states it has spent $80 billion on the War on Terror since 2001.[1]

Cuts in US Aid[edit]
The Kerry Luger Bill passed in 2009 after democratic elections in Pakistan had proposed $1.5 billion in annual assistance to Pakistan.[13] However due to problems and differences in the bilateral relationship over issues such as Drones,India,Reymound Davis the full amount was not transferred. Pakistan was promised $1.5 billion annually till 2014, but in the very first year the target was not met. Only $179.5 million out of $1.51 billion in U.S. civilian aid to Pakistan was actually disbursed in fiscal 2010.[14]

How US Aid is spent[edit]
Of the $179.5 million received by Pakistan in 2010, $75 million of the US aid funds were transferred to bolster the Benazir Income Support Program, a social development program run by the Pakistani government. Another $45 million was given to the Higher Education Commission to support "centers of excellence" at Pakistani universities; $19.5 million went to support Pakistan's Fulbright Scholarship program; $23.3 million went to flood relief .[14]

Military and economic aid[edit]
YearMilitary (USD in billions)Economic (USD in billions)
20021.361.233 for 2002 to 2004
20031.5001.233 for 2002 to 2004
20041.2001.233 for 2002 to 2004
20111.685unknown
Total11.740 billion[15]6.08 billion[16]

back in Afghanistan ? obama will surely get an heart attack if he read your thought man ... USA will never come back to Afghanistan, mark my words

We are headed to Iraq again if need be. The USN mobilized GWB CBG for possible Iraq related operations. Similarly, if need be, the commander in chief will order US military and the troops will be back in Afghanistan.
If you had a Republican government, you wouldn't see a withdrawal from Afghanistan as the previous Republican administration wanted boots on the ground for a prolonged period I think . So if the Republicans come again, we may be back.
The US military is one of the highest disciplined and structured organization in the world. Unlike your general who'll take down the government if the commander in chief gave orders they didn't like, the US military follows order from the civilian, democratically elected commander in chief. No matter what the generals think and how important it may be to stay in one place, If the commander in chief orders the troops to leave....they follow the orders and always achieve results with utmost professionalism.

I don't know but it sounds like US want to divide Pakistan since we notice US repeatedly said Pakistan has key position or something.

WASHINGTON: US Secretary of State John Kerry said on Friday that recent developments in South Asia had placed Pakistan in a “very, very key” position and had further increased the need for staying engaged with that country.

According to a transcript released by the US State Department in Washington, Secretary Kerry made these remarks before his meeting with Pakistan’s National Security Adviser Sartaj Aziz in London.

The top US diplomat noted that the two countries also had “major economic issues” to talk about, particularly the “huge challenge” that Pakistan was facing in meeting its energy demands.

“We have a lot to discuss, and particularly at this moment … I think it’s good that we have a chance to be able to meet,” he said.

Mr Aziz said he had come to London to attend a conference on ending sexual violence in conflict regions but wanted to avail the opportunity for also discussing bilateral issues with Mr Kerry.

He noted that the United States and Pakistan held their strategic dialogue in March, and “it’s always useful to follow up to see what progress has been made, what more needs to be done”.

He said that since a lot of things were happening in the South Asia region, “this is a very good chance” for exchanging views on those developments.

Published in Dawn, June 14th, 2014

Pakistan has ‘very, very key position’ in South Asia: Kerry - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

“Obviously, Pakistan is very, very key now, has been for 70 years,” the secretary said. “Now with the transition in Afghanistan, with the new government in India, with certain challenges

What does our new govt have to do with their discussions? Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom