Pakistan has no need of IMF Loans: Hafeez Shaikh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karachiite

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Finance, Dr. Abdul Hafeez Shaikh said that Pakistan would not require loans from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) as it would go ahead with its own reform programme to enhance the economic sustainability.

In an interview with London-based Financial Times, the federal minister said Pakistan had decided not to negotiate a new programme with IMF and would instead go ahead with its own reform programme.

He said the IMF's demands had become too tough and the government would instead press ahead with a homegrown fiscal reform programme.

"We need to signal to the world our continued commitment to reforms and to pursuing a series of steps required to remain financially disciplined," Mr Shaikh said adding "We want to achieve the kind of benchmarks we have set in our own domestic reforms programme. This is a government that wishes to be serious about fiscal restraint."

Pakistan negotiated an $11.3bn loan package from the IMF three years ago to avoid a balance of payments crisis. Disagreements over fiscal management led to the programme's effective suspension at the end of last year.

The Financial Times reported that Pakistan's government has forfeited the final $3.7bn tranche of a three-year-old International Monetary Fund programme after some disagreements over fiscal reforms, according to the country's finance minister.

According to the newspaper, Adnan Mazarei, the IMF's mission chief for Pakistan, is expected to lead an IMF delegation to visit Islamabad on November 10, even as Paul Ross, the IMF's representative in Islamabad, is expected to return to Washington.

"What we need in the coming period, very quickly and very clearly, is a strengthening of the budgetary position," Mr Mazarei told a local TV network. "There have been some structural reforms and the government has taken some steps but much more is needed."

The newspaper reported that the end of the IMF programme means Pakistan will have to start repaying its loan early next year, with the first $1.2bn payment likely to eat into the country's $ 18 bn in foreign reserves. Mr Sheikh, however, is convinced that the economy is stabilizing, buoyed by exports and remittances.

According to the report, Sheikh was upbeat about Islamabad's ability to meet current account and deficit targets, set respectively at 2 and 4 per cent of GDP, while also widening the country's tax base by bringing an extra 300,000 people into the tax net. At present only about one per cent of the 180m population pay income tax.

Pakistan has no need of IMF Loans: Hafeez Shaikh

well thats a bit overstated,don't u think?

It's obvious the economy is stabilizing. Exports have risen greatly. Terrorism has decreased. And foreign investment is increasing as well. If Pakistan gets rid of loadshedding then the economy will start growing by atleast 7-10% again just like during Musharraf's time.
This economic slum was temporary.

Oh! that will be great if we realli get rid of this Luciferian IMP trap.....Thanx God if it happens.....:)

IMF sara khoon choos ley ga iis say jaan churna he behtar hai:coffee:

They are growing but the problem they could not sustain the growth..
Consistant growth is required to get the Investors attention,which is lacking currently..
Hope they will overcome this problem because stable pakistan is what India wants..
"Afterall hume bhi to business karna haina yaar".

They are growing but the problem they could not sustain the growth..
Consistant growth is required to get the Investors attention,which is lacking currently..
Hope they will overcome this problem because stable pakistan is what India wants..
"Afterall hume bhi to business karna haina yaar".
kiyu nai bhai ap b karu business yea zara 5 Rs k pakoray tu daina :lol:

I only wish Mr Hafeez has balls to implement such!

"Are tere liye jaan hazir hai yaar,bus tu imandari se 5 rupee dena jarur :lol: "...:rofl::rofl::rofl:
udhar nai chalay ga kiya :undecided:? IMF ki tarhan sari zindagi qistain laitay rehna mujh say r sara khoon pe jana gharib ka :shout:

Does anyone here know how IMF works?
Take a loan of 1000 Million. Keep 600 Million and give the rest to the concerned authorities. Over there, at every stage, they steal their desired amount. Finally in the end, the 1000 Million turns to be 80 Million. And then it is paid back from our taxes.

So basically we pay our taxes to the president in the name of IMF. That's it. So why the f*ck would the b*stards stop IMF when they are getting piles of notes from your and my money? :angry:

I know exactly what he is doing. He has taken the BoP (balance of payment) debt and pushed it down into the Local economy. And due to that, we are seeing the circular debt issue, we're seeing PIA defaulting on Oil and airport charges, Pak Railways defaulting, PEPCO. I understand something had to give. But in my article i had explained it would be have been better to default on the external debt right after the Govt backs PKR with gold. Enough capital would have flown in to rescue from the effects of the default.
Pakistan's Financial Tsunami

I read somewhere that half of the Pakistan budget is wasted in repaying IMF and World Bank debt and in the last only 17% is left to do development like education, health and infrastructure and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom