What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

In comments made to the Defense Writers Group, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Charles Q. Brown explained that the Air Force would like a new, from-scratch fighter to replace the F-16 with what seems to be capabilities somewhere in between the F-16 and the F-35. “Now, I will also tell you I don’t think that everybody’s going to exactly agree with what I say,” Brown explained. “But I want to actually have a starting point as a point of departure, a point of dialogue.”

Brown elaborated on the design, saying that it would tentatively be categorized as a 4.5 or 5-minus generation fighter, Breaking Defense reported.
It can be F-21 fighter concept i guess.

With all the current problems and issues, I am still hopeful that PAF will bring the remaining 14 F-16s back with an upgrade package of MLU-4 for all of the F-16 fleet.

Just, I have a question - is there any country open to selling off their F-16 Block-52s?

In current senerio it will be big win if PAF can secure SLEP & possibly "V" upgrade for it's F-16s.

In comments made to the Defense Writers Group, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Charles Q. Brown explained that the Air Force would like a new, from-scratch fighter to replace the F-16 with what seems to be capabilities somewhere in between the F-16 and the F-35. “Now, I will also tell you I don’t think that everybody’s going to exactly agree with what I say,” Brown explained. “But I want to actually have a starting point as a point of departure, a point of dialogue.”

Brown elaborated on the design, saying that it would tentatively be categorized as a 4.5 or 5-minus generation fighter, Breaking Defense reported.
Its that dirty F word. Finances baby. I think the US has realized that the F35 will have to be used selectively. They want to save up on the 22 and 35s flight hours mainly due to high cost of running them so want to rely on something else. Whether it is a more advanced F16 or a single engined F18 look alike needs to be seen. And people are still asking for FMS.
A

Likely be a Boeing Program, it's Pentagon's way of almost equally distributing work to more then one contractor / builder. Let's see what Boeing comes up with, it be very interesting. At the end of the day, it's the war machines that drives to usher in new techs here in the good 'ol USA.

It's not just Finances, LockMart has F-35, what does Boeing has ? F-15EX / F-18 E/F, Boeing needs a new product to sell to USAF in hundreds to keep people employed, shareholders happy.

Why not F15-EX or f16V. Won't it be a waste of useful dollars

A clean sheet design would take a couple of years to come off the drawing board then needs to be tested so realistically speaking it will take atleast a decade for the fighter to come into service..

Their main argument against the F.16 is that it doesn't have an open architecture so software updates take time. Just wondering wouldn't it be better to build such an F.16.

A clean sheet design would take a couple of years to come off the drawing board then needs to be tested so realistically speaking it will take atleast a decade for the fighter to come into service..

Their main argument against the F.16 is that it doesn't have an open architecture so software updates take time. Just wondering wouldn't it be better to build such an F.16.
Exactly,they can bring about some structural reforms to either of the platforms according to their "new" requirements. After a decade their role will be quite limited for many countries will have fifth gen fighters. So its not worth the time and money

Its that dirty F word. Finances baby. I think the US has realized that the F35 will have to be used selectively. They want to save up on the 22 and 35s flight hours mainly due to high cost of running them so want to rely on something else. Whether it is a more advanced F16 or a single engined F18 look alike needs to be seen. And people are still asking for FMS.
A
Seems like a combination of everything, finances, mission requirements, limited practical use of stealth tech and limited availability of stealth platforms, etc etc.

Design process will be quite different compared to what it used to be, if they opt for a new design, you may see prototype towards the end of 2022.

Why not F15-EX or f16V. Won't it be a waste of useful dollars
F16 is abit short legged
They want something with longer legs

F16 was built around an engine of 100-120kn

The f35 engine is 180kn

They probably want something with 30-35% more range which f16 may not provide
F15 is too big they want something cheaper

Has the F-21 (F-16 on steroids) any consideration for the USAF. I mean as far as India is concerened - its a dead-stick that won't ever happen.

I'm just wondering (when) India goes for something - like more Rafales or the F-15EX, will Lockheed Martin just scrap the F-21* entirely?

*...and just so that we're clear, this is in no way relating to the PAF.

Obviously the F-21 has that F-35 DNA that we've heard about, but bear in mind - it'll have the same GE & P&W engines that are supposed to be used by the new-70/21 variants.

In current senerio it will be big win if PAF can secure SLEP & possibly "V" upgrade for it's F-16s.

I'm sure PAF is in negotiation with the USA over some used ex-USAF F-16 A/Bs with MLU-4 upgrades.

We won't be getting anything from the US without acquiescing to certain strings which would be detrimental to national interests.

20210221_162109.jpg

Has the F-21 (F-16 on steroids) any consideration for the USAF. I mean as far as India is concerened - its a dead-stick that won't ever happen.

I'm just wondering (when) India goes for something - like more Rafales or the F-15EX, will Lockheed Martin just scrap the F-21* entirely?

*...and just so that we're clear, this is in no way relating to the PAF.

Obviously the F-21 has that F-35 DNA that we've heard about, but bear in mind - it'll have the same GE & P&W engines that are supposed to be used by the new-70/21 variants.
My guess is USA would want a new design and around 500 in numbers built around f35 engine

Something 33% bigger f16b70 but smaller then f15

They may end up just buying f16
We won't be getting anything from the US without acquiescing to certain strings which would be detrimental to national interests.
Best case senrio is upgrade package

I doubt we will get anything that can scratch india

F15 is too big they want something cheaper
F-15 EX is will replace older variants of Eagle. They just lack stealth feature they are pretty much 5th Gen. USAF is planning to use F-15 EX with their 5th Gen platforms atleast till 60-70s.

Back
Top Bottom