What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

Some of them did have them, as replacement canopies were sourced from various suppliers prior to the MLU. e.g is 85728.. which had a gold tint prior to MLU.

Number 84713 has some white 'pod' under the intake, what is it? Air data pod?

Also, isn't Gold canopy dangerous for pilots, since it increases the spatial disorientation of the pilot while flying at night?

Number 84713 has some white 'pod' under the intake, what is it? Air data pod?

Also, isn't Gold canopy dangerous for pilots, since it increases the spatial disorientation of the pilot while flying at night?

Not really, the canopy works fine at night as well.

How old are Pak f16s??When are they going to be decommissioned??What would be a probable replacement?

@Anubis your second question is a million dollar question, because I think even PAF personal may not answer that. :-)

How old are Pak f16s??When are they going to be decommissioned??What would be a probable replacement?
@Anubis your second question is a million dollar question, because I think even PAF personal may not answer that. :-)

Who needs PAF personnel. The first PAF F-16 was manufactured in 1981 and delivered in 82. As such the average age of PAF F-16s is 30 years although the number of flight hours varies across the fleet. But basing it on a similar average as European MLU aircraft the F-16s after upgrade are good till 2025..

However, most likely the F-16s will continue further till 2030 until the Chinese have the second 5th Gen aircraft ready to go.

@Oscar I referred to the second question, it was "What would be a probable replacement?" and F-16s will become like mirages in future and PAF will definitely need a front line fighter plane. can u tell exactly which one it will be?

Last edited:
i think the 41 f-16 A/B blk 15's which are going through MLU upgrade process will get 5000 hours of airframe service life and will be designated as f-16 AM/BM blk 15 and they will be equal to F-16C/D Block 50/52. than there are 18 new F-16C/D Block 50/52's. also there are the 13-14 F-16A/B Block 15 OCU but i dont know about their current status ....... maybe @Oscar can tell us about them.

@Oscar I referred to the second question, it was "What would be a probable replacement?" and F-16s will become like mirages in future and PAF will definitely need a front line fighter plane. can u tell exactly which one it will be?

Depends on the condition of Pakistan. You are talking about 20 years into the future. However, in their role as Pakistanis front line fighters it is very likely that they might be replaced by a Chinese 5th gen.

i think the 41 f-16 A/B blk 15's which are going through MLU upgrade process will get 5000 hours of airframe service life and will be designated as f-16 AM/BM blk 15 and they will be equal to F-16C/D Block 50/52. than there are 18 new F-16C/D Block 50/52's. also there are the 13-14 F-16A/B Block 15 OCU but i dont know about their current status ....... maybe @Oscar can tell us about them.

From Peace gate-I order: 5 F-16s still active
From Peace gate-II order: 27 F-16s still active
Additional Airframes delivered from embargoed jets = 11
That makes 43 F-16A/B MLU. along with 18 F-16C/D for a total of 61 F-16s.
The 13-14 frames have not been allotted and are probably not happening anytime soon.

Depends on the condition of Pakistan. You are talking about 20 years into the future. However, in their role as Pakistanis front line fighters it is very likely that they might be replaced by a Chinese 5th gen.

From Peace gate-I order: 5 F-16s still active
From Peace gate-II order: 27 F-16s still active
Additional Airframes delivered from embargoed jets = 11
That makes 43 F-16A/B MLU. along with 18 F-16C/D for a total of 61 F-16s.
The 13-14 frames have not been allotted and are probably not happening anytime soon.
how much service life remains in the 43 F-16A/B MLUs ???

32 left from 80s order, 14 embargo delivered 32+14 =46, counting crashed one, 44/45 left, 3 mul in u.s. 41 in turkey, unless some candalized for spares. Additional 14 of embargo are still pending 
20 plus per sqdn enough for 20 years with attrition or 15 per sqdn for 3 sqdn by replacing another f7 same for 10 year attrition

Last edited:
Some of them did have them, as replacement canopies were sourced from various suppliers prior to the MLU. e.g is 85728.. which had a gold tint prior to MLU.
Another example is 707 which also had the same canopy. Those in the picture, I don't recall them having it. The question is, does the MLU package come with upgraded canopies?

Another example is 707 which also had the same canopy. Those in the picture, I don't recall them having it. The question is, does the MLU package come with upgraded canopies?

The Canopies are a separate request and dont come with MLU.

i think j-31 and jf-17 block 3

i think j-31 and jf-17 block 3

but how can u say that J-31 will be PAF choice, do u think it will fulfill PAF future requirements?

Back
Top Bottom