What's new

Pakistan exported worth $ 1 bln IT services in 5 years

GoP has done MANGO for IT industry over the years, and they are still busy distributing free laptops to fine arts students thinking it will increase IT exports. Say thanks to millions of IT people who are doing freelance work on their own and bringing in $$$ spending their days and nights..
There is no computer lab in different government schools in Lahore (Paris). If some government school has computer lab, then it does not have modern computer. Also they haven't upgraded computer courses.

A large portion of these IT exports consists off freelancers and small companies and I was talking about that. Do you think a couple of IT parks here and there will make much of a difference? Its peanuts when you see overall situation, empower the people at grass root level and they will build IT parks on their own..
IT park was built in the regime of Musharraf. Noora just change its name to Arfa Karim Park. They did nothing else for awareness of technology.
I dont know how many of you are aware, but these freelancers or very small companies are the ones who take up small offices in the IT Parks.
Slowly they amalgamate to form larger companies under the Eco system that the IT Parks provide.

In that aspect, I was given to understand that GoP, especially Govt of (Pakistani)Punjab has been adding a few IT Parks in Punjab in particular.
If correct, then these will eventually lead to an increase of IT exports.

IT park was built in the regime of Musharraf. Noora just change its name to Arfa Karim Park. They did nothing else for awareness of technology.
Bro with due respect dont be biased, Nawaz Govt (chulo ap ko khush kernay k liye Noor... keh deta hoon:-)) have spend millions on LAPtop scheme, bhai IT ke education PC/laptop k baghair kesay a sakti hai:big_boss:.?

I dont know how many of you are aware, but these freelancers or very small companies are the ones who take up small offices in the IT Parks.
Slowly they amalgamate to form larger companies under the Eco system that the IT Parks provide.

In that aspect, I was given to understand that GoP, especially Govt of (Pakistani)Punjab has been adding a few IT Parks in Punjab in particular.
PML-Q did a great job in the field of education. PML-N did everything which can increase their votes. Most of people are working as freelancer in different places. PML-N did nothing for education in 4 years and distributed laptops before elections. I visit my school and saw the same furniture, computers in lab and practical lab equipment which were upgraded in the regime of Musharraf. 
Bro with due respect dont be biased, Nawaz Govt (chulo ap ko khush kernay k liye Noor... keh deta hoon:-)) have spend millions on LAPtop scheme, bhai IT ke education PC/laptop k baghair kesay a sakti hai:big_boss:.?
They should spend these millions on upgradation of computer labs in government schools so the whole class get benefit from it rather than 1 person. My friend gets a laptop from this scheme. He was a student of arts and not interested to use his laptop. He tried to sell it to me.
Agr ap kisi aisy bandy ko laptop dy rahy ho jiski field hi nai ha ye jiska kam hi nai ha to wo uska kia istemaal kary ga? Aur opar sy Ubuntu was installed on those laptops. They can't even play mp3 on it without installing codec and to install codec they have to go to CLI.

Last edited:
PML-Q did a great job in the field of education. PML-N did everything which can increase their votes. Most of people are working as freelancer in different places. PML-N did nothing for education in 4 years and distributed laptops before elections. I visit my school and saw the same furniture, computers in lab and practical lab equipment which were upgraded in the regime of Musharraf. 

They should spend these millions on upgradation of computer labs in government schools so the whole class get benefit from it rather than 1 person. My friend gets a laptop from this scheme. He was a student of arts and not interested to use his laptop. He tried to sell it to me.
Agr ap kisi aisy bandy ko laptop dy rahy ho jiski field hi nai ha ye jiska kam hi nai ha to wo uska kia istemaal kary ga? Aur opar sy Ubuntu was installed on those laptops. They can't even play mp3 on it without installing codec and to install codec they have to go to CLI.
yes at some extent you are right but bro my friend was student of MBA after getting Laptop from the scheme he changed his field and complete some short IT courses now he is setteld in UAE and earning 200 Thousands/ month for him and Pakistan. Main thing is that he practised a lot which make him capable of earning money.
Acha bura to her jaga hota hai.

yes at some extent you are right but bro my friend was student of MBA after getting Laptop from the scheme he changed his field and complete some short IT courses now he is setteld in UAE and earning 200 Thousands/ month for him and Pakistan. Main thing is that he practised a lot which make him capable of earning money.
Acha bura to her jaga hota hai.
In a society where laptops are said to be the promoter of vulgarity is true. He was a student of MBA but interested in Computer Science. As we all know, computer jan'ny wala banda kabhi bhoka nai sota. It is a big industry. I am a student of Computer Science and know all the benefits of it. But the fact is that the distributed laptops were used in watching ****, browsing facebook or selling it in market so they can pay their dues. In the era of PML-Q, my schools computer lab was upgraded with latest P4 computers. I visit my school and found the same computers. Why they spend billions on distributing laptops when they can spend those billions on upgrading course and practical labs.
He never did anything good for education field. :feminist:

I beg to disagree, each and every IT university or collage has its own dedicated computer labs where students can sit and work on their assignments or projects whole day even at night. I myself didn't had any compute back in 2004 - 05 when computers were real expansive, and I did half of my software engineering on my university lab PCs.

If they were to distribute free laptops in IT or engineering related institutes then I was fine with it, but giving laptops to fine arts and other non IT related students doesn't make any sense, they will eventually use these laptops for watching **** or play games or do chat with opposite gender on facebook etc.. In short, distributing free laptops was not the solution at all, that money could be spent on adding more computer labs, establishing more IT institutes or for offering affordable training programs. Just go to any private training institute and check the fee's for even basic graphics design course, it will cost you several thousands and that's just a basic course to start with.. 

Punjab govt just did gimmicks, offered free training programs to thousands of ghost young students, distributed free laptops (mostly to non-technical students), renamed old IT parks and did photo sessions and the list can go on. In short, they haven't created not even a single new IT collage in whole Punjab in past 5 years.

I've got some personal experience with this. So let me share them to outline the issues we face in IT.

I previously worked as an IT Manager in Dubai. I was responsible for managing our outsourcing requirements. We hired people from US / UK, Eastern Europe, Russia, India and Pakistan. Let me profile them:
  • US / UK - Very expensive ($50/hr-$100/hr range), reliable, outstanding work ethic, excellent results
  • Eastern Europe - Little expensive ($25/hr-$50/hr range), reliable, good work ethic, excellent results
  • Russia - Similar to Easter Europe - amazing hackers / system engineers - but cannot be trusted for the same reason
  • India - Inexpensive($8/hr-$20/hr), somewhat reliable, very little work ethic, results vary dramatically
  • Pakistan - Inexpensive($8/hr-$20/hr), completely unreliable, very little work ethic, good results
Initially, I would choose the contractor who was best suited for the job. But later, following a temporary nationalistic kick-in, I decided to up my preference for Pakistanis. That turned out to be a mistake. The guys were surprisingly talented and intelligent. I, frankly, had not expected them to be. But appallingly unmotivated and unreliable. I was constantly making excuses to the upper management to cover on their behalf. It's amazing how much embarrassment I endured for these guys. I takes a long time to develop a reputation for delivering things on time, and my preference for these guys was fracturing the trust my managers had on me.

One find day, after a long heated meeting, we decided to cease working with Pakistanis and Indians. We had enough trouble from the Indians as well - they're notoriously difficult to work with. They won't tell you about showstopping issues until its too late and pretend everything was in order. You had be excruciatingly specific with the requirements or they'll end up building incomplete stuff without batting an eyelid.

Anyway, a few months earlier, I moved to Karachi (personal familial reasons), and decided to freelance here. After a short while, I noticed I was just as unreliable as the guys I had worked with. Let me list out the issues I faced:
  1. The power cuts were simply too much to manage. Even a descent UPS dies out. I had to choose between powering my laptop + internet or keep the fan running during the summer.
  2. Internet is painfully unreliable. Here's what I tried:
    1. Evo - weak signal.
    2. Setup and antenna for the Evo - still unusable.
    3. Quebee - no signal at all.
    4. WiiTribe - worked quite well because they had a tower installed a street down from me - but it would go down often because the tower's backup generator was unreliable.
    5. PTCL - don't get me started here - took 2 months and a dozen yelling visits to the exchange before I could get a stable connection. Even now, it dies out whenever it wants to.
    6. So I have 3 connections now to keep me operating. PTCL, a backup WiiTribe and a second backup Evo (Have to go down to a coffee shop to get it working).
  3. Working from home, no one thinks of my job as serious. So my phophos, mamus and random neighbors feel it's fine to keep me running errands. This might sound like a joke, but this is quite a serious issue. The contractors I worked with kept telling me that they had to run errands for their relatives, but I dismissed them as cheap excuses myself. We're a very family-centric society so we cannot escape this.
  4. Security issues - if I don't feel like working from home, most often, I don't have a choice. It's unsafe to go around with a laptop in a place like Karachi.
Most IT freelancers cannot afford to fix the first two issues nor escape the next two. So they're bound to be found unreliable.

A few months ago, I decided to start up a small outsourcing company. I had a steady stream of work coming in and even had to reject plenty because I didn't have the time. I started by looking for the talent first. The way I'm used to finding talent is by posting on online classifieds - I tried plenty of them, even the paid ones - but there were amazing few responses. And the people who did respond had nothing to do with my requirements. They were simply throwing their resumes left and right. I am not sure why I didn't get enough responses - is it because people are resigned to finding jobs by 'sifarish' alone? Post a job in a classifieds in the UAE or anywhere in the West, you'll be handling resumes with spades.

I realized that even if I had started a company, it would've been impossible to manage in a place like Karachi. There's a strike every other day, the IT sector is useless without electricity and a reasonable internet infrastructure, and the security issues simply compound all of this.

Sorry for the wall of text. Please note that whether you're Indian or Pakistani, my intention was not to insult you. I merely stated the facts as I found them from my personal experience as a means to explain some of the issues we face as freelancers / wanabe entrepreneurs.

You know we in Pakistan are still using internet over decades old PTCL copper wires, they offer 1/10 of original bandwidth, which means if you buy a 1mb connection, you will only get 100 kbps at max..

I've got PTCL fiber in my area in Karachi. The speed is as expected but it goes down often.

Also, I hope you realize the difference between MBps and Mbps (the small 'b'). 1 Mbps is 1 megabit per second and 1 MBps is 1 megabyte per second. They advertise it as such to mislead people, but they do it all over the world - not just in Pakistan.

So that's why with a 1Mbps connection, you only get 100 KBps downloads. Because 1Mbps is approximately equal to 100 KBps.
:)

Because IT sector is still not fully matured in Pakistan. IT houses have been around for a while, yet we haven't seen anything notable from Pakistani IT industry. Most of the projects are more concerned with making short money than running their houses like commercial enterprises.

Key is in removing government. If you do that you will find exports going up.

I've got PTCL fiber in my area in Karachi. The speed is as expected but it goes down often.

Also, I hope you realize the difference between MBps and Mbps (the small 'b'). 1 Mbps is 1 megabit per second and 1 MBps is 1 megabyte per second. They advertise it as such to mislead people, but they do it all over the world - not just in Pakistan. :)

Yar whatever, but the most frustrating thing is, not much sufficient steps have been taken by govt towards fixing these issues. Only a few private sector companies are doing things, nothing much from PTCL. PTCL sucks in most part of major cities, let alone the small towns and villages..

Because IT sector is still not fully matured in Pakistan. IT houses have been around for a while, yet we haven't seen anything notable from Pakistani IT industry. Most of the projects are more concerned with making short money than running their houses like commercial enterprises.

Then you have absolutely no idea what is going on in Pakistan's IT houses. Yes, they are not as big as India but they surely are doing lots of business. IT Houses like C-Docs, I2C and NetSol are big fishes from Pakistan, google them.

Yar whatever, but the most frustrating thing is, not much sufficient steps have been taken by govt towards fixing these issues. Only a few private sector companies are doing things, nothing much from PTCL. PTCL sucks in most part of major cities, let alone the small towns and villages..

Well, PTCL is a private company. Its primary interests are to earn profits for its shareholders. An internet infrastructure requires a lot of investment. Why would a for-profit company invest in small towns and villages when people over there are more interested in meeting their basic living needs than browsing the internet. So it's not so much PTCL's fault. They're doing what they do to keep their business profitable. It's the government's job to provide basic living needs for people so they can provide some value to the economy, which would incentivize private corporations to invest more.

Back
Top Bottom