What's new

Pakistan Elections 2018: News and Discussions

More than 100 election candidates' particulars declared 'extremely dubious'
Fahad ChaudhryJune 12, 2018
Facebook Count3
Twitter Share

The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP), during its scrutiny of candidates for the 2018 general elections, has so far found that more than 100 candidates are bank defaulters, DawnNewsTV reported on Tuesday citing sources in the Election Commission of Pakistan.

The SBP has declared the particulars submitted by these candidates as "extremely dubious".

According to the SBP report, which has reportedly been sent to the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP), PPP's Hina Rabbani Khar and Mian Manzoor Ahmed Wattoo — a hopeful from NA-143, NA-144 and PP-186 — have their names on the list.

Ahmed Shah Khagga (PP-193), Ghulam Ahmed Shah (PP-193), Asim Irshad Khan (NA-124), Ameer Ahmed Siyal (NA-116), Khalid Masood (NA-30), Abdul Sattar Bachani and Zulfiqar Bachani (both from NA-224), Ameer Waliuddin Chishti (NA-256), Ayaz Khan (NA-257) and Changez Khan (NA-258) are also among the defaulters, as per DawnNewsTV's sources.

Azhar Khokhar (NA-52), Zainab Ahsan (PP-109), Umar Farooq (PP-113), Mushtaq Ahmed (PP-136), Ali Asim Shah (PP-185), Muhammad Ali Tarkai (PK-46) and Chaudhry Shakeel Gulzar (PP-66) are also among those who owe money to banks.

The scrutiny of nomination papers to exclude ineligible candidates from the election race started today, a day after returning officers (ROs) completed the process of receiving nomination papers from prospective candidates.

According to ECP spokesman Altaf Ahmad Khan, particulars of 12,000 candidates have so far been sent to the National Accountability Bureau, Federal Bureau of Revenue, SBP and other relevant institutions — out of which 7,500 had been verified with the help of an online system.

ECP orders to replace chief secretaries, police heads of all provinces

ISLAMABAD: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Tuesday directed federal authorities to replace the chief secretaries and police chiefs of all provinces.

The commission has issued directives to the Establishment Division to appoint new chief secretaries as well as Inspector Generals of Police (IGP) in the four provinces by tomorrow.

Following the appointment, they all are required to attend a meeting to be convened by the ECP on June 14.

Earlier, caretaker Prime Minister Justice (r) Nasirul Mulk said the interim government is firmly committed to provide all possible assistance to the electoral body for holding free, fair and peaceful elections as per schedule.

He was talking to the Chief Election Commissioner Sardar Muhammad Raza who called on him in Islamabad on Tuesday.

Matters pertaining to the forthcoming general elections came under discussion during the meeting.

Dffb7UkXkAAcejS.jpg

Zardari's sisters secure top slots on PPP priority list
By Hafeez Tunio
Published: June 12, 2018
22SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1733578-faryalazracollage-1528806533-232-640x480.jpg

Faryal Talpur and Azra Pechuho are standing for PS-10 (Larkana I) and PS-37 (Shaheed Benazirabad-I) respectively. PHOTO: FILES

KARACHI: The Pakistan Peoples Party’s (PPP) tilt towards dynastic politics shines through its priority list for women candidates on reserved seats with Faryal Talpur and Azra Pechuho securing the top slots.

Submitted to the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Tuesday, the list for reserved seats for women in the provincial assembly also includes former deputy speaker Sindh Assembly Syeda Shehla Raza, Nida Khuhro, Rehana Leghari, Kulsoom Chandio and Farhat Seemi Soomro.

Most of the PPP tickets for national and provincial assemblies in upcoming general election have been awarded to old faces and kith and kin.

Three PM aspirants contesting from Karachi

According to list the released by Bilawal House on Sunday, majority of candidates hail from old, feudal families who have been part of politics for decades – including the Zardari family.

PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari is contesting on two National Assembly seats, NA 246 (Lyari) and NA 200 (Larkana-I) while PPP co-chairman and Bilawal’s father, Asif Ali Zardari filed nomination from NA-213 (Shaheed Benazirabad-I).

Zardari’s sisters, Faryal and Azra are standing for PS-10 (Larkana I) and PS-37 (Shaheed Benazirabad-I) respectively.

PPP's Hina Rabbani Khar
Dear Lord! She too?

Zardari's sisters secure top slots on PPP priority list
By Hafeez Tunio
22SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1733578-faryalazracollage-1528806533-232-640x480.jpg

Faryal Talpur and Azra Pechuho are standing for PS-10 (Larkana I) and PS-37 (Shaheed Benazirabad-I) respectively. PHOTO: FILES

KARACHI: The Pakistan Peoples Party’s (PPP) tilt towards dynastic politics shines through its priority list for women candidates on reserved seats with Faryal Talpur and Azra Pechuho securing the top slots.

Most of the PPP tickets for national and provincial assemblies in upcoming general election have been awarded to old faces and kith and kin.

Three PM aspirants contesting from Karachi

According to list the released by Bilawal House on Sunday, majority of candidates hail from old, feudal families who have been part of politics for decades – including the Zardari family.

PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari is contesting on two National Assembly seats, NA 246 (Lyari) and NA 200 (Larkana-I) while PPP co-chairman and Bilawal’s father, Asif Ali Zardari filed nomination from NA-213 (Shaheed Benazirabad-I).

Zardari’s sisters, Faryal and Azra are standing for PS-10 (Larkana I) and PS-37 (Shaheed Benazirabad-I) respectively.
Here come the monarchs!

Nomination papers of ex-home ministers Sarfraz Bugti, Ghazain Marri rejected
By Mohammad Zafar
1SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1733775-sarfarazbugtighazainmarri-1528824368-283-640x480.jpg

Bugti filed papers for PB-10 Pishin while Marri applied for PB-10 Kohlu. FILE PHOTOS

QUETTA: The nomination papers of former Balochistan home minister Sarfraz Bugti filed for the Dera Bugti’s PB-10 seat were rejected by the Election Commission of Pakistan’s returning officer during scrutiny on Tuesday.

It is said that Bugti had not attached details of his assets with the nomination papers.

Over failure in declaring the assets, Returning Officer Asad Achakzai rejected Bugti’s nomination papers submitted to contest the general elections.

Balochistan home minister to request delay in holding elections

The last date for filing the nomination papers for the 2018 general elections scheduled to be held on July 25 was June 11, while the scrutiny process of the forms as announced by the ECP started on Tuesday (June 12).

Bugti expressed regret over the rejection of his nomination papers and announced he will challenge the returning officer’s decision in the Balochistan High Court.

Ghazain Marri

Meanwhile, the ECP’s returning officer also rejected nomination papers filed by former home minister Ghazain Marri for Kohlu’s PB-9 seat. According to the ECP, the proposer and the person authorised by the candidate were not present during the scrutiny process to verify the documents of Marri.

Right after arrival: Ghazain Marri arrested from Quetta airport

Ghazain, who is son of Marri tribe’s former chief Nawab Khair Bakhsh Marri and facing multiple cases, including one involving the murder of a high court judge, had returned to Pakistan from 17-year-long self-exile in September last year.

He is the younger brother of PML-N leader Nawab Jhangez Marri and elder brother of Hyarbyar Marri, the chief of the outlawed Balochistan Liberation Army, and Zamuran Marri, the chief of banned United Baloch Army.

Pti has done idotiic moves in KPK..it has given ticket to outsiders and have Ignored die hard winning old pti candidates....
So it will loose at least 4-5 Seats due to this

Pti has done idotiic moves in KPK..it has given ticket to outsiders and have Ignored die hard winning old pti candidates....
So it will loose at least 4-5 Seats due to this
Who? Are these same people who sold voting on Senate?

If I remember correctly, didn't Gen. Bajwa say he will ensure fair election this time around? If that is correct, does his words hold any weight?

Back
Top Bottom