What's new

Pakistan doesn't reopen border despite US apology

I dont agree. Kayani will have a stroke if this happens. This is pretty much the only major threat Pakistan can hold over USA's head at this time.

Look at it from Kayani's perspective.

1. Minor border violations by USA attacking AT via choppers etc

vs

2. Enstranged US which may have implications wrt bigger role for India in Afghanistan

Every one knows what will be more acceptable to Kayani..

You probably dont know Kitany's mind neither US has been successful to find out. Neither you know about our location more than that other factors which are playing bigger role to maintain the important part.

NATO supplies are NOT at all the only card we have.

One week down the line, every thing will be back to normal.. Both in terms of Supply lines as well as cross border drone and occasional chopper attacks..

That is obvious that is NO something of rocket science or significant which was not predicted. The only significant part is that we have taken a good stand and made the invaders accept their crime.

Rest we both the countries have been having ups and downs in our relations NOT a new thing.

As far as role for India over Pakistan by US well if it was even remotedly helpful for US and the region then US would have done that during these 9 years. NO chance NOW

Maybe it would be good for Pakistan if NATO finds an alternative route:

Nato trucks damaging Indus Highway

ISLAMABAD – Pakistani authorities are simply helpless in checking truckloads of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) forces badly damaging the Indus Highway, the repair of which would cost billions of rupees to the national exchequer, TheNation has learnt reliably.

NATO trucks and trailers have not been claimed even for once for the repair and maintenance work, while the cracks are developed on Indus Highway after every three to four months due to overloading, informed well-placed sources. These truckloads with oil and other material pass the Indus Highway to enter Afghanistan. Normally, the criterion set for trucks or heavy vehicles is that those with extra load above the recommended standards are not allowed and violators are fined by the National Highway Authority (NHA) but in case of NATO these rules do not simply apply.

NHA has set its measuring standard 17.5 tons for 2Excel Bedford while 2Excel Single Hino can carry 17.5 tons. Overloading fines starts from Rs1,000 to Rs 5,000 in each case with one-month imprisonment.

It is pertinent to mention here that NATO trucks have been frequently using the Indus Highway mainly from Karachi to Peshawar for a long time.

These trucks pass through the roads of main cities of country Karachi, Haiderabad, Shikarpur, Kashmor, D.G Khan, D.I.Khan, Peshawar and then cross the border to reach Afghanistan.

Meanwhile, the sources said that most of the weighing stations on Indus Highway are not up to the mark. When contacted, Director Road and Transport Shoaib said that cracks are developed on the road due to overloading. “Due Overloading of trucks cracks are developed even after three to four months,” he said and admitted there was no proper mechanism for weighing station to check it.
When contacted, ISAF Joint Command Public Affairs Darin Russel said that they were only aware of contracted trucks not NATO-owned trucks. He also referred this scribe to contact trucking companies for information. After repeated tries the PRO of National Highway Authority (NHA) did not pick his cell phone as well as office number to give his comments.

Nato trucks damaging Indus Highway | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Those maps that show the "new path" are amusing, to say the least. The sheer logistics of transporting material across west Europe, East Europe, Central Asia - in other words, almost 1/4th of the world!

The Americans would be better off 'outsourcing' all their supply needs to Russia and Kazakhistan. Let the Russians and Kazakhs send material for a fixed fee. Anything which is sensitive, or which the Americans want specific American products, they can airlift into Afghanistan.

If US choses the Russian route, then US pays transit fees to Russia and to 3 countries between Russia and Afghanistan.

russia-map.jpg

Hope the NATO trucks dont get snowed in.

Last edited:
I dont think they are gonna come down from top of Russia

karan-1970-albums-t0-picture3732-route2.jpg
[/IMG]

If US choses the Russian route, then US pays transit fees to Russia and to 3 countries between Russia and Afghanistan.

russia-map.jpg

:) it clears many thing and some naive people think that US is insane to choose Pakistan over other routes

For example what everything else which could be linked to this thread ?

1. Use of Taliban
2. Attempt to use Afghanistan as strategic deapth
3. Tying in with USA in 1980's under Zia
4. Playing both sides (between USA and Taliban) against the middle.

I can go on, but these are the key ones.

Actually no.. They could just land the material in Turkey (med sea) and from their drive across Georgia(Russia), Russia(Russia), Kazakhastan(Russia), Turkmenistan(Russia) into Afghanistan.

Right, but there was one map in an earlier page which showed some route originating in West Europe! That route is totally impractical.

russia-map.jpg

True, but my idea was more on the lines of, let the Russians/Kazakhs supply non-sensitive material supplies, and collect a fee from the Americans for it. Sensitive material can be airlifted.

:) it clears many thing and some naive people think that US is insane to choose Pakistan over other routes

The point is, Pakistan is the easiest option in terms of logistics. No one is doubting that. Which is why, I feel, the US will not simply switch its route - we can speculate and analyze all we want. The US will issue apologies, pay off some people at the back end, indulge in PR, and armtwist the establishment to continue using Pakistan route. That is what will happen, most certainly.

1. Use of Taliban
2. Attempt to use Afghanistan as strategic deapth
3. Tying in with USA in 1980's under Zia
4. Playing both sides (between USA and Taliban) against the middle.

I can go on, but these are the key ones.

1. Taliban are not something fallen from sky. US was very well within the trio. Change the name from Mujahideen to Taliban Nothing is new..

BTW they are very much onboard and nothing has gone that much wrong viz a viz strategic depth.

2. There is NO question of attempt to use. Its a fact we already have this strategic depth and all corresponding factors despite the attempts by world power/s feeding its false propaganda through neo-liberals in our elites and media. But it falls flat ;)

3. Tying in with US in 80s and also now is NOT a bad thing in my view if we are talking about strategic issue. Because we are better off with US than siding with a stranger devil

4. Its not playing both sides. Its playing your cards at the right time. That is what US is also doing. Just go and read Pentagon has also confirmed that US is part of talks between Taliban and Karzai govt.

Despite difficult situation i believe this is beneficial to Pakistan in the long run in terms of learning fighting an Unconventional war , reforming the social issues, learning how to pacify public anger and so on

well I personally support pakistan this time .....
as I think most of the mess created in the world is due to US
US ko ache se sabak sikhana

Back
Top Bottom