What's new

Pakistan doesn't reopen border despite US apology

In my personal opinion, this closure of the border was a big blunder by Pakistan. A threat has a value only till the time it remains a threat. Once you go ahead and act on it, you have already punished the other guy. By next time, he will have a contingency in place and the bargaining power of Pakistan will be that much lower.

and what about nato crossin borders and entering pakistan. wasnt this meant to be a threat as well? against pakistan not attacking US selected targets.
so US materialized one of its threat and so did pakistan as a counter measure. next time they ll probably have some new threat and hopefully we will also come up with some new counter measure.
the game is still on.

as of pakistan not opening the borders, well it will be opened very soon. may be pakistan also want to make sure that nato realizes its second mistake of crossing the border and not just of killing our troops.

To put it more bluntly, you are willing to do to millions of Afghans what you would not do to yourself, just so that you feel less insecure ?

2) How can a macro agency constitute of micro agents heading in opposing directions ?
I said before in the forums, the Taliban are Pashtun, majority of the population is Pashtun. You can't rule the majority with the NA minority government. The people will not have much of a problem governed by Taliban if the Taliban is monitored and made to accept certain conditions before returning to power in the fields of human rights and Alqaeda. To do this Arab countries like Saudi Arabia have leverage to convince the Taliban before the re-integration.
Also the way Pakistan sees it, it is a matter of national security and national interests. Take America, if a govenment is not pro-U.S, they are replaced either by force or sanctioned like Iraq, Cuba and now Iran. What do you suppose India has got to do in Afghanistan? Frankly, I have failed to see it's purpose there. Often I have wondered if India stayed clear of this mess, Pakistan might have been more willing to co-operate.

I said before in the forums, the Taliban are Pashtun, majority of the population is Pashtun. You can't rule the majority with the NA minority government. The people will not have much of a problem governed by Taliban if the Taliban is monitored and made to accept certain conditions before returning to power in the fields of human rights and Alqaeda. To do this Arab countries like Saudi Arabia have leverage to convince the Taliban before the re-integration.

The problem is Taliban has demonstrated their support for AlQueda/fundamentalism islam and they are barbaric in how they treat their women. No western civilization will accept Taliban and their current ideologies. Does not matter if they are Pashtun

and what about nato crossin borders and entering pakistan. wasnt this meant to be a threat as well? against pakistan not attacking US selected targets.
so US materialized one of its threat and so did pakistan as a counter measure.

It is a hard fact to digest. We cross borders because of terrorists hiding inside. Come clean and get rid of the cancer yourself so that we don't have to cross the border. Pakistan is our friend and we want to help. But if you are unwilling to do, we have to do what friends do - that is getting rid of your disease.

border is open, only one route is blocked.

Nato itself has said, its supply has not stopped at all.

The problem is Taliban has demonstrated their support for AlQueda/fundamentalism islam and they are barbaric in how they treat their women. No western civilization will accept Taliban and their current ideologies. Does not matter if they are Pashtun

My point exactly. If Muslim countries come forward, including especially the Saudi king, showing them that the version of Islam the Taliban practice is contrary to the true religion, I suppose convincing them might be possible. However, currently the conflict is more political than religious. They are very possessive of their country. And right now they see NATO as occupiers. The current U.S. strategy is to deal a harsh blow to the Taliban before negotiating with them. And according to the Taliban code they would rather die than surrender. So, it's a lose-lose situation for both. Somene has to make a compramise for peace.

Also the way Pakistan sees it, it is a matter of national security and national interests. Take America, if a govenment is not pro-U.S, they are replaced either by force or sanctioned like Iraq, Cuba and now Iran. What do you suppose India has got to do in Afghanistan? Frankly, I have failed to see it's purpose there. Often I have wondered if India stayed clear of this mess, Pakistan might have been more willing to co-operate.

Who is Pakistan to deny Indian help to Afghanistan ? India is there purely on humanitarian mission and has developed infrastructure worth billions of dollars. I am sure you're aware of Indian doctors contributions in Afghanistan. Even the Taliban has admitted they are willing to have diplomatic relationships with India.

Sure, India has it's share of poor & homeless people too. That does not mean we turn blind eyes to what's happening in the world.

These supplies are for NATO armed forces in that region
please read before posting

NATO is fighting Taliban which is responsible for making Afghanistan a hellhole for Afghans. NATO can simply leave if they want to. This route is for the betterment of Afghanistan, not the betterment of NATO. American soldiers are more than willing to return home and play call of duty instead of fighting a war nobody appreciates.

Who is Pakistan to deny Indian help to Afghanistan ? India is there purely on humanitarian mission and has developed infrastructure worth billions of dollars. I am sure you're aware of Indian doctors contributions in Afghanistan. Even the Taliban has admitted they are willing to have diplomatic relationships with India.

Sure, India has it's share of poor & homeless people too. That does not mean we turn blind eyes to what's happening in the world.

There are so many more places where India can contribute in humanitarian assistance, why here? Why now?
And I doubt your statement when you say that the Taliban will have anything to do with India.-->'Taliban to back Pak army in case of war with India' - Express India

Why should entire Afghanistan suffer for of an accident involving 3 Pakistani soldiers ? The USA has apologized, isn't that what Pakistan was asking for ?

for years now they have violated our airspace killing terrorists as well as civilian and soldiers. The apology ship has sailed

Time for them to realize that they need to stop doing this. :dirol:

The U.S. is not investing billions in Pakistan so it can abandon it all at some time and date. You can bet that any past cross border raids conducted were becuase the U.S. felt it had no choice. And If it does pull out from its relationship it will be because it was given no choice. I have no doubts that some in the ISI and Pakistan military still support the Haqqani Taliban. Just as I know some here would like to see the U.S. fail in Afghanistan and the so called good Taliban reinstalled as the Governing body. If your not willing to let the Taliban govern in Pakistan then why would you wish it on the Afghan people? do you consider thier lives to have less value then a Pakistani?

I know most here do not support the Taliban in any way, shape, or form. But can you seriously say that Pakistan is going after all Taliban operating from Pakistan territory including the Afghan Taliban?

rewind back to June when even the pro U.S. establishment in Kabul held talks with one Siraj ud-Din Haqqani

if news reports are to be believed, even the Americans themselves are engaged in back-channel talks (with some factions/members of the Taleban). What to say of that?

What to make of the arrest of Mr. Bahadur, which interestingly enough, annoyed the Americans?

and i agree, i don't think the average Pakistani wants a taleban-like arrangement in Pakistan. But Pakistan and Afghanistan are different countries; it is in our national interests to see a sustainable ''cure'' --not a ''band aid'' solution to the problems.

There are so many more places where India can contribute in humanitarian assistance, why here? Why now?
And I doubt your statement when you say that the Taliban will have anything to do with India.-->'Taliban to back Pak army in case of war with India' - Express India

That article is from 2008 right after the attack on Mumbai.

Taliban talked about diplomatic ties after Indian doctors left Afghanistan when the Indian embassy was attacked.

If you cannot provide assistance, then dont stop others who can. India is also providing assistance to several other countries, but nobody has suffered as much as Afghanistan.

If you cannot provide assistance, then dont stop others who can.

as fashionable as it may be in your country to dogmatically villify Pakistan Nation, you should perhaps visit the scores of threads discussing Pakistan's humanitarian role in Afghanistan. One of my own cousins is a volunteer medic in Kandahar. What's in it for her? Absolutely nil, other than self-satisfaction. I won't even delve into the other projects and initiatives being undertaken by Pakistan Nation in Afghanistan because I (we) are at peace with ourselves regarding our role there. (and in Pakistan as well, considering there are over 4+ million Afghan refugees residing in our country)

India is also providing assistance to several other countries, but nobody has suffered as much as Afghanistan.

great!

as long as Afghanistan (tha land, its people) are not 'used' or 'abused' for nefarious or crooked purposes, I believe there are no major issues or cause for concern

U.S. has to do more to protect Pakistan's interest in the region.

U.S. needs to respect Pakistan's interests and work for mutual benefit with Pakistan.

U.S. needs to respect the lives of Pakistani troops and Pakistani civilians.

U.S. needs to cooperate more with Pakistan in this war.

U.S. needs Pakistan more than any other country on earth for winning the war in Afghanistan.

Indians stay out of this, your country shares no border with Afghanistan. The only way you can have access to Afghanistan is through Pakistan (and Pakistan will never grant india that access) so you are useless for the U.S. in this war.

Back
Top Bottom