What's new

Pakistan Debt to Rise to $74 billion by 2014

Our main focus right now should be reconstruction and rehabilitation of the displaced. They need to get back to their lives to lessen the financial burden in the coming years. If you leave them like you left the refugees from the afghan war things could get bad to worse.

ENFORCED tax collection rate of at least 20% would make a huge difference

too bad theres no financial accountability at all; this administration is beyond corrupt and is bankrupting a country that could easily be much more economically prosperous

I heard about the same Hillary Clinton mentioned this in one of her interviews. She said people in Pakistan do not pay taxes and excepts others to donate (something of that sorts).

Also could of articles and discussions I have read her indicates that people who are rich and powerful are not paying taxes as they should be. This was same in India as well but continuous efforts by FM's years after years made sure we started getting more taxes day by day. Now the situation is that people feel that there might soon be taxes on funerals as well.(kidding)

So it takes years to move in that direction and I feel Pakistan's economic problems can be greatly reduced if people pay taxes.

On this note may I ask you, do you plan to pay all your taxes or find ways to evade them. If the answer is no then why are we blaming just the elite? We are trying to the best of our ability to evade taxes and same elites are doing. My question is first be right then blame others.

I think in 2014 we'll have new government n fully functional Gawadar port which will link China and Central Asia and it will raise revenue of $5/6 billion annually.
:cheers:

well i have a plan...Pakistan should resume its trade with India and sign a FTA with us....we need Pakistan's exports like cotton.minerals and other stuff...that can surely heal some of the wound...Pakistan should ease on subsidies and increase tax...and ask for some aid from Middle East and US!

India’s external debt, as of March 2009, was US$229.9 billion (22.0 % of GDP).:hang2:
India's Debt Situation | Economy Watch

Are you as pathetic as you sound?why bring India into this.meanwhile your debt is 61% of your gdp

Pakistan's debt-to-GDP ratio crosses 61%
14:19, June 27, 2010

Pakistan's central bank said the country's total debt-to-GDP ratio has crossed 61 percent during the current fiscal year, breaching the 60 percent limit set under the Fiscal Responsibility and Debt Limitation Act, local media reported on Sunday.

According to the report of the State Bank of Pakistan on its official website, Pakistan's external debt-to-GDP ratio hit 30 percent while the domestic debt-to-GDP ratio mounted to an alarming level of 31 percent.

Despite better performance on the external front, domestic public debt remains on the rise, up by 20 percent during the 11 months of the current fiscal year, said the report.

Pakistan has been facing the burden of mounting debt pressure. The same stems from escalating fiscal deficit of the country as compared to the budgetary estimates.

During the current fiscal year of 2010 which closes at the end- June, the fiscal deficit rose to 5.2 percent of the GDP against the budgeted 4.7 percent. The domestic side remained a prominent source of financing fiscal deficit.

A differentiating factor came in the form of the International Monetary Fund's (IMF) budgetary support under its augmented funding plan for Pakistan.

The contribution of the IMF funding in the overall external financing of the country has risen. The IMF's total share in external debt has risen from 4 percent in the fiscal year of 2006 to 14 percent till the third quarter of the current fiscal year.

Contribution of public debt under total external debt dropped to 82 percent from 91 percent in fiscal year 2006.

The disbursements under the IMF program are expected to conclude in fiscal year 2011, but it remains to be seen whether the government will seek further budgetary support from the global donor during fiscal year 2011 in case additional inflows from sources such as the United States under the Kerry-Lugar and Tokyo pledges fail to materialize on time.

Even though the IMF program contributed towards bringing stability, favorable external factors also played a major role.

The country's current account deficit has shown substantial improvement as it dropped by 66 percent during the first 11 months of the current year. Credit should be given to better export performance, which registered a growth of three percent during the period.

However, the real savior was in fact the recessionary condition in the global markets, which kept commodity prices, especially oil under stress. The result is evident as imports registered a decline of 3.5 percent.

Another commendable aspect is record level of remittances, which is set to reach 8.8 billion U.S. dollars in the current fiscal year, thereby providing desirable support to the overall balance of payments in the absence of foreign direct investment.

Despite better performance on the external front, domestic public debt is still on the rise. Overall public debt, thereby, remains a strong source of vulnerability to the economy and mounting domestic debt is also strongly suggesting an interest rate rise in the offing.

bring in more stupid morons under the banner of democracy please..next time we are voting for gale ka gadha as president if he has roti, kapra or makan written all over it

A bit off topic but i was just wondering. We have 180 million people, say for example a human kidney was worth 1000$ US, if 180 million people donated 1 kidney for their country that would give us an astounding: $180,000,000,000.

Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country. :P

What a sick and vulgar "sense of humour"

It will all pass. Things are tight, but not all of it is due to mismanagement. There is a war going on which is costing Pakistan in terms of dried up FDI, then there has been the flood of the century. These things are not of the making of the current government nor due to its corruption. If the International community does not understand this, Pakistan does have the option of default. Argentina is living through it. If default mechanism is used properly, it can actually provide Pakistan just the room needed for diverting money into the public sector (education, health). Yes Pakistan will be hurting for future FDI and loans, but the defaulting can be considered after coming to understanding with various bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors.

If things become excessively hard fiscally, I feel default could be one of the options to explore if the donors are unwilling to back off.

This is very alarming situation. Not to forget, with more debts more conditions on people such as higher electricity rates etc. This is pretty bad news.

A bit off topic but i was just wondering. We have 180 million people, say for example a human kidney was worth 1000$ US, if 180 million people donated 1 kidney for their country that would give us an astounding: $180,000,000,000.

Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country. :P

And who on Earth would buy 180 million kidneys?

India’s external debt, as of March 2009, was US$229.9 billion (22.0 % of GDP).:hang2:
India's Debt Situation | Economy Watch

India also has approximately $300 Billion in Forex Reserves.

Having said that. External debt by itself means nothing, USA has around 95% external debt & Japan has around 180%, same is the case with many other developed countries. But these countries also have big and robust economies a luxury that Pakistan does not have. It is in this context that the situation takes a sinister form. Pakistan's economy is already is a very bad state, afloat only because of foreign aid. What happens when this aid dies down? The Americans cant perennially keep giving aid.

:rofl:

Have you read 'A modest proposal' by Jonathan Swift? It's a prose work (only 4-5 pages long and freely available)by Jonathan Swift, the master of satire. Do read it, your post reminded me of it.:tup:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom