What's new

Pakistan Current Account Records a Huge Surplus of $424 million in July 2020

we need to ban many imports useless imports slowly and then we can have forex reserves of 50bn with in 2-3 years . our current economic polices are scrap .
That's not the right thing to do. Imports bring local stuff quality up. There is proper competition, more competition is good for consumers. Our manufacturers just need to get their head out of their asses and work hard, people will buy our local stuff if its quality is good and its cheaper than the imported stuff.

Its a psychology issue. Any one with some money prefers foreign name brand products for many items that are produced locally. Its a status symbol.
No it is not a status symbol, stop talking shite. Tell me any Pakistani chocolate brand which is even close to Nutella? None. Any Ketchup brand as good as Heinz? None. Terrible taste.

I said that this was a good sign in another thread, but this is only true really if the news is taken at face value and only good because we had a current account led financial crisis recently. However this should also be taken as a possibly worrying sign:

Let's get the facts stated first, this current account surplus is not something that developed organically as a result of export growth, remittances and a better trade balance (although the latter has seen some improvement). It is instead the result of two major factors; weak demand and weak internal GDP growth, and low crude prices. In fact, plenty of countries, not just us are seeing improving current account balances lately, even India is recording a surplus.

Have you notice how quickly we have went from having a trade deficit to a massive swing and now a surplus? In economics, this sort of quick reaction is called a 'shock', it means that this is due to underlying factors of supply and demand rapidly changing. This surplus did not result from new industries and exports opening up between the start of the outbreak and now. It's the result of covid related weakness internally due to lower demand (including lower demand for imports), and lower prices of crude. This is bad for us. Weak growth or recession can often be much worse than any perceived benefits in current account balance improvement, especially since let's say in FY20 CA surplus is 0.3%, but if the underlying conditions that caused it also cause the position to deteriorate due to weak remittances in the future also cause a significant recession and long term down turn in growth. Then the net effect of this balance as a % of GDP could be worse.

Also, if you look at low crude prices, this will help us lower import prices today, but it most adversely affects countries like Saudi, UAE etc. These same countries provide us a large proportion of our remittances. So the same time that we are gaining due to low prices, we could lose due to worse remittances from these nations. The differences is, the cost has not been seen yet. The price of crude can change immediately, incomes of expats and their remittances might only react negatively over the course of a few months or years.

Pakistan with a weak export base, and no industries of any serious size CANNOT sustain current account surpluses in the long run. You need big shifts in order to get there. And a better current account position in turn affords better growth.

So it's like this... ...if a poor man tells you that he used to spend USD100 per month on his and his family's upkeep, and now he spends USD80 per month and he does not need another 20 or is no longer borrowing 20 from a lender, you might see this as good. But if as a result he is starving himself and his family in the short term, his health might take a hit a few months down the line landing him with a larger hospital bill, or he might not be able to buy the bus ticket to work for extra money that he used to get to work to earn more, because the bus has stopped. Then he will also be materially poorer at the end as well as worse off despite lower expenditure.

This is may be the case for Pakistan's current account turnaround. These are just my 2 cents based on minimal assessment of actual figures.

We are importing cotton because the the sugar mafia (mainly politicians) has been incentivising farmers to grow sugar cane instead of growing cotton. So we have a situation where we have lots of sugar which the mafia then hoards and profiteers from and we have not enough cotton so we have to spend precious dollars to import it from abroad.
This is how the economy has been distorted and manipulated for personal gain.
No we are loosing cotton production because of diseases and no govt has paid any heed to the matter! Farmers dont have any pesticide available in the market. 3,4 years the crop of cotton is failing every year why would anyone plant a failed crop??????

No it is not a status symbol, stop talking shite. Tell me any Pakistani chocolate brand which is even close to Nutella? None. Any Ketchup brand as good as Heinz? None. Terrible taste.
Commercial chocolates are nothing more milk and sugar with a little coco flavor. Burfee is similar but without the coco flavor.

The national interest is good to come ahead of your fancy taste buds. Put makkan on your bread and chutney with your burgers. :p:

We are importing cotton because the the sugar mafia (mainly politicians) has been incentivising farmers to grow sugar cane instead of growing cotton. So we have a situation where we have lots of sugar which the mafia then hoards and profiteers from and we have not enough cotton so we have to spend precious dollars to import it from abroad.
This is how the economy has been distorted and manipulated for personal gain.
This govt needs to strike back by heavily incentivizing cotton growers, cotton is something that can earn us billion in finished products.

80% of Pakistani's cannot afford to care about the taste of ketchup or choclate, as the quality of life improves and the purchasing power of the people increase we can give fair competition to international brands, as things stand now, these needless imports are bleeding this country dry, pushing the quality of life into a downwards spiral, import of anything that is not absolutely necessary should be banned indefinitely.

Pakistan with a weak export base, and no industries of any serious size CANNOT sustain current account surpluses in the long run. You need big shifts in order to get there. And a better current account position in turn affords better growth.

Again, Exports aren't something which can be turned "ON/OFF". We all know how PML-N destroyed the existing industry and export data from 2012 reflects that.

23523.jpg

Lets get our manufacturers back from Bangladesh, then we can talk about getting foreign companies to set up shop.

Again, Exports aren't something which can be turned "ON/OFF". We all know how PML-N destroyed the existing industry and export data from 2012 reflects that.

View attachment 663794

Lets get our manufacturers back from Bangladesh, then we can talk about getting foreign companies to set up shop.

What PML did was even worse than this, it was either a major miscalculation or I’m missing some logic or major benefit that did materialise.

The previous government used
our reserves to set an artificially low peg with the dollar, do you remember when inexplicably dollar went to PKR 105? Imran Khan took credit and said that his pressure led to this, everyone celebrated. Actually it was damaging, this made imports very cheap and our low value exports very uncompetitive. The government probably thought it would be good as it would boost consumption led growth and lower the burden of dollar external debt and help in debt servicing.

They were wrong, we basically burned through our reserves trying to keep PKR overvalued, this led a widening trade imbalance that then put pressure on those same reserves which we used to keep fighting the market. Eventually we ran out of cash to sustain this effort and PKR tanked, while we simultaneously ran into a current account crisis and no reserves left hence IMF intervention was needed.

Even on this forum, as early as 2016 I was talking about the dangers of the governments policy, then exactly as I expected a financial crisis unfolded. I even warned my friends and family who supported PTI, pre election that the crisis will mean that Khan won’t be able to deliver a single major thing he wants, it’ll be a tough few years.

What PML did was even worse than this, it was either a major miscalculation or I’m missing some logic or major benefit that did materialise.

The previous government uses our reserves to set an artificially low peg with the dollar, do you remember when inexplicably dollar went toPKR 105? Imran Khan took credit and said that his pressure led to this, everyone celebrated. Actually it was damaging, this made imports very cheap and our low value exports very uncompetitive. The government probably thought it would be good as it would boost consumption led growth and lower the burden of dollar external debt and help in debt servicing.

They were wrong, we basically burned through our reserves trying to keep PKR overvalued, this led a widening trade imbalance that then put pressure on those same reserves which we used to keep fighting the market. Eventually we ran out of cash to sustain this effort and PKR tanked, while we simultaneously ran into a current account crisis and no reserves left hence IMF intervention was needed.

Even on this forum, as early as 2016 I was talking about the dangers of the governments policy, then exactly as I expected a financial crisis unfolded. I even warned my friends and family who supported PTI that the crisis will mean that Khan won’t be able to deliver a single major thing he wants, it’ll be a tough few years.

In essence, PML-N purposely sabotaged the country so that IK wouldn't be able to fix stuff in his tenure. They're traitors and should be charged and hanged.

In essence, PML-N purposely sabotaged the country so that IK wouldn't be able to fix stuff in his tenure. They're traitors and should be charged and hanged.
I disagree, I think they made a bad calculation, in their view they wanted to achieve something. This is why I say when people talk about ridding us of corruption, incompetence will continue to rear its ugly head, and it’s just as bad if not worse at times.

Also as I said, IK supported this at face value at the time too, he basically took credit saying that the government was forced to strengthen pkr and make things cheaper because of our political pressure. So both IK and PMLN were almost in the same boat at the time, difference is that PML were directly responsible. Also I’m quite certain it wasn’t intentional sabotage, just incompetence.

We are not led by competent people, while it’s a travesty, incompetence and stupidity isn’t illegal, and calling it treason is perhaps too far imo.

There is no sugar mafia. People grow what they think is more profitable. They have 2 options grow sugarcane which is year long crop and and 1 bar kasht karkay multiple crops la sktay hain. And second option is grow wheat in winters or conola and rice or cotton in summers. Agar 40 kilograms wheat ki price 3000 hojaye to har koi wheat kasht karay ga. Kam price par bhi government subsidy da rhi ha to ziada price to unaffordable hogi.
Sugar mafia aren't farmers. Sugar mafia are comprised of mill owners who purchase from farmers and hoard and fix prices for processed sugar.

Back
Top Bottom