What's new

Pakistan Current Account Records a Huge Surplus of $424 million in July 2020

British media doesn't dare report or accuse MI6 etc ..

Yet in Pakistan if someone from intelligence has a quiet word to tone things down against them, it's a big issue.

I dare you to go on Twitter and start accusing MI6 etc of all sorts and then see what happens to you! I had plain dark blue uniform visitors once at my residence because I expressed certain views on 9/11 on a forum when the Islamaphobe propaganda was in early years.

I welcome you to speak against and falsely accuse British agencies (without proof as some Pak journalists) do ... When you've done, then come lecture on what happens in Pakistan!!

In the UK you will find your bank account frozen and odd bods doing surveillance near where you live.

@Pan-Islamic-Pakistan @Musings @PAKISTANFOREVER

Guys, your thoughts on the gag on social media and journalism in West against Western intelligence agencies?

There is one famous case of a Muslim charity named the Holy Land foundation which gave aid to Palestinians. Naturally to work in Gaza, they needed to have a relationship with Hamas. US used that in early 2000s to seize millions from them (that too after Eid ul Fitr) and engage in a manhunt for its leadership.

It was one instance of gross abuse which affected American Muslims deeply.

As far as Pakistanis, take a look at the ordeal which Ghulam Nabi Fai had to go through for simply advocating for Kashmiris in the US. He was even jailed for his patriotism to his cause.

There are many such examples. Certain subjects are taboo for certain groups of people. For Muslims, it is anything related to 2001 attacks and their aftermath, for Blacks it is Black panthers and Black nationalist organizations, for Hispanics it is groups which support independence of Spanish speaking areas from the US, esp on the border with Mexico.

@Pan-Islamic-Pakistan @Musings @PAKISTANFOREVER

Guys, your thoughts on the gag on social media and journalism in West against Western intelligence agencies?

I know of a journalist and prominent person in high order (in London) that has been scrutinized and "bullied" by institutions for speaking out against intelligence agencies. Its a very serious as even an insinuation can turn your life upside down.

Perhaps organic is not the right word, but I meant to find a word to describe the opposite of what we are seeing here. Allow me to elaborate/clarify, I agree with your assessment, and yes current account situation has improved in the last two years, exports and remittances have been up, while imports have both ‘organically’ and recently due to the other phenomena reduced quite a bit.

However, the resultant current account surplus is not due to underlying strength, it’s largely the result of some current account improvement momentum pre covid. And an economic shock resulting in weak demand and lower imports, as well as low crude prices. Meaning this surplus is not like a surplus we may have seen let’s say had we have worked on massively boosting exports over a period of five to ten years, that’s the dichotomy I was referring to; a real surplus vs one caused largely by a series of covid related shocks which are not positive entirely and have of their own, or result from, other negative consequences.

Also I think the jury’s still out on how much of an export recovery we’re seeing. We had a lengthy discussion with a very knowledgable member here who pointed out that basically Pakistan in recent years only achieved the low hanging fruit of export led recovery which is low value export such as agriculture, which most likely resulted from a weaker exchange rate, these goods are more competitive as a result. The hard work of establishing export industries is not there yet. So I am cautioning from over celebrating this stuff and reading too much optimistically even at this surplus, which I might add is being mirrored elsewhere and not just Pakistan, hence it’s a global phenomenon related to covid shocks, not underlying strength.

To summarize what you are saying is that Only reason our exports are going up is because of some natural phenomenon, Not because of current Government policies, Pti has destroyed the high tech export oriented industries established by previous governments or failed to bring in within high tech industries within two years of coming to power.

Back
Top Bottom