What's new

Pakistan: Cousin marriages create high risk of genetic disorders

I didn't tell him to get married tomorrow did I? I told him to get married young.

As a father myself, I am of the opinion that all the material success of the world pales in comparison with the joy of raising my children. Having got married young I was able to expend my sexual energy in a halal way.

Getting married in your mid 30s is unnatural. You either repress yourself or you engage in haram.

This is why as a society we need to curtail our expectations of young people and focus of developing them so that they are able to marry young.

A few examples;
- no expensive weddings. Stop breaking the backs of young men with this fazool cost

- there is no shame in renting an apartment. You don't need a villa to get married.

I don't want anyone to be married before they are ready, but in our society the obstacles to "ready" are ridiculous.
I remember a woman moaning how in her county a man doesn't marry until he owns his own house, unlike the husband she acyually married. In this part of the world, you are lucky if you own your own house at 60yrs.

I remember a woman moaning how in her county a man doesn't marry until he owns his own house, unlike the husband she acyually married. In this part of the world, you are lucky if you own your own house at 60yrs.
Circumstances and education and financial security needs to be taken into consideration before marriage.

Science. Observe what happens. Codify observations as data. Hypothesize cause and effect rules that explain the data. Observe again, confirm or discredit hypothesis. Cultures and religions which cannot accommodate the scientific approach to understanding the natural world are very, very much less successful in adapting to our natural world than cultures which embrace science. Pakistanis in the United States, as a group, are hugely more successful in their personal lives than are Pakistanis, as a group, in Pakistan. Why? The freedom to use the scientific method, i.e., rationality, to make their career and personal decisions. Cousin marriage is just one of dozens of negative consequences of a Pakistani culture, be it tribal or Islamic, that is, at its root, irrational in the face of physical, natural world reality. Science is the only reason the "West" (and China) is more prosperous than Pakistan.
Sir, you are a real life philosopher with wisdom! Pls continue sharing your knowledge.

Science. Observe what happens. Codify observations as data. Hypothesize cause and effect rules that explain the data. Observe again, confirm or discredit hypothesis. Cultures and religions which cannot accommodate the scientific approach to understanding the natural world are very, very much less successful in adapting to our natural world than cultures which embrace science. Pakistanis in the United States, as a group, are hugely more successful in their personal lives than are Pakistanis, as a group, in Pakistan. Why? The freedom to use the scientific method, i.e., rationality, to make their career and personal decisions. Cousin marriage is just one of dozens of negative consequences of a Pakistani culture, be it tribal or Islamic, that is, at its root, irrational in the face of physical, natural world reality. Science is the only reason the "West" (and China) is more prosperous than Pakistan.
I disagree with your post.

USA had more time to develop economically and in development as a 250 year old empire.

Pakistan only got independence 73 years ago.

Muslim nations in the past were the leaders in science and technology.

Take for example the Taj Mahal and the invention of Algebra.

Algebra itself is an Arabic word.

Just because Muslim nations today are behind, does not mean they were not the leaders in certain parts of human history.

I think environment and political factors play a role.

USA does not have a huge territorial dispute to fight either.

I disagree with your post.

USA had more time to develop economically and in development as a 250 year old empire.

Pakistan only got independence 73 years ago.

Muslim nations in the past were the leaders in science and technology.

Take for example the Taj Mahal and the invention of Algebra.

Algebra itself is an Arabic word.

Just because Muslim nations today are behind, does not mean they were not the leaders in certain parts of human history.

I think environment and political factors play a role.

USA does not have a huge territorial dispute to fight either.

Muslim World will keep going into decline.

Jews marry first cousins but no one accuses them for being retards. Einstein and Darwin married their first cousins.
Einstein and Darwin married their first cousins. ?
Abdul and Hassan both married their first cousins and they both work as Uber Drivers.
It's still not a a good idea.

Marrying first cousins is not a problem as long as it is not made a tradition. I know couples including my paternal grandfather and grandmother who are first cousins, no genetic problems.
Let's get real, it's a bad idea wether for Pakistanis, Jews, Hillbilly's or European royalty.

Abdul and Hassan both married their first cousins and they both work as Uber Drivers.

Let's get real, it's a bad idea wether for Pakistanis, Jews, Hillbilly's or European royalty.

As many as 59% of certain Orthodox Jewish groups in Israel marry their cousins:

However, he said the clerics he spoke with flatly refused, claiming that such marriages are in accordance with Islamic Sharia law and the traditions of the Prophet Mohammad.

Correct me if I am wrong but none of Prophet (PBUH) wives were cousins?..

so where does "traditions" come from?

our Mullah just seem to make up things.

My mother will arrange my marriage to a Pakistani Punjabi, Pathan, or Kashmiri woman.

good luck!

Here in UK, a Hospital in Bradford is a world leader in rare certain genetic defects caused by first cousin marriages,
Why? because a huge number of Pakistanis live in Bradford and they mainly come from areas in Pak that practice cousin marriages.
This gives the hospital far more experience with these genetic conditions than any other hospital in Europe.

The parents of kids with genetic issues, who are first cousin's, are left destroyed by this and wish they knew before,
The will never allow their kids to marry first cousins. We need to leave this habit in the past and move on.

my take...

unless your cousin is super hot... dont take the risk :-)

It could be a bad idea when it becomes a family tradition and you have to have genetic problems in the ancestry to begin with. So your assumption that genetic disorder occurs only among people who are closely related is not true. I inherited bad eye sight from my mother's side which is not closely related to my father's side.

Jews marry first cousins but no one accuses them for being retards. Einstein and Darwin married their first cousins. Marrying first cousins is not a problem as long as it is not made a tradition. I know couples including my paternal grandfather and grandmother who are first cousins, no genetic problems.

Its a problem because its tends to happen again and again
Genetic code is not issue if it happens once in a while but becomes a problem if your parents are cousins and then you marry your cousin ..

One cannot refute science - the evidence of congenital defect (consanguinity) is overwhelming and available for everyone to see.

I'd argue that part of the reason most Royal dynasties (especially Europe) have gone into decline including in various areas of the globe is marrying cousins and even sisters, the worst case starting with inbreeding during the time of Ptolemy in ancient Egypt.

Although inbreeding elicits a collective "EWWW !" nowadays (as it should) - it was perfectly acceptable back in ancient Egypt among Royals five thousand years ago.

Back
Top Bottom