What's new

Pakistan Close to Discovering a Gas Reservoir as Large as Sui Field: Minister Petroleum

i k should take action against those ministers who always brag with out any knowledhe

Thing is even IK was making false claims about this "discovery".

There is no reserves found ... till you drill, log, and well test (flow and build up) and then drill more delineation wells after your wildcat.

Pakistan Close to Discovering a Gas Reservoir as Large as Sui Field: Minister Petroleum
Posted 5 days ago by Raza Rizvi
gasport.jpg

• Pakistan to Build Underground Gas Storage Reservoirs to Avoid Future Crisis: Report

“Right now, they are at a depth of 1900 feet. The well has a depth of 5500 feet, hence it’s ultra-deep exploration, which will give its first good news in March or April,” it read.

The new reservoir of gas is anticipated to yield 3 to 8 trillion cubic feet (TCF), which is as big as Sui gas reserves. This is estimated to be 25-40 percent of Pakistan’s total gas reserves.

This is a joint venture of ENI, Exxon Mobil, OGDCL, and PPL to spud Kekra-I well in Indus G Block and the project cost is estimated to be $75 million.

Currently, 225 people are working on the site, but after exploration, it may generate hundreds of thousands of jobs.

In case of a successful discovery, which seems very likely, Pakistan can use this gas for the next 25 to 30 years.

Exxon Mobil is expected to explore more wells after this in the Indus G Block. The minister has also asked the leading Gas and Oil Company for onshore exploration.

Via: Pakistan Observer
Started from oil and now we are at gas and soon it will be a fart.

Should avoid claiming something as we had 17 drills before and all were empty or dried wells.

Alright Peeps, lesson 101 in Exploration and Drilling: You do not know what is underneath 1000s of meters of sand until you drill and wait for the results of the several logs carried out. This 'ultra deep well' has only started been drilling and will be at least 2-3 months before we get an idea of what might there be. This is just a political stunt by the government, nothing else.

I know because I am field engineer with Weatherford, and I am sitting on rig side where the well has been 90% completed and yet there's no surety that we have tapped into the reservoir.

You are 100% right. There is no such thing as "Close to discovering".

You wouldn't know if there is oil/gas present until you have struck oil or gas ( as the case may be) and you would not know how much until a couple or more exploratory wells have been sunk to determine the size of the reservoir.

I would not say that 5,500 ft is 'Ultra deep' since most US Gulf off-shore fields are on the average 6,000 ft deep.

BTW Sui reservoir was 9 tcf when first discovered in 1952. To predict that the reservoir would be that big even before the discovery has been made is a bit presumptous.

Alright Peeps, lesson 101 in Exploration and Drilling: You do not know what is underneath 1000s of meters of sand until you drill and wait for the results of the several logs carried out. This 'ultra deep well' has only started been drilling and will be at least 2-3 months before we get an idea of what might there be. This is just a political stunt by the government, nothing else.

I know because I am field engineer with Weatherford, and I am sitting on rig side where the well has been 90% completed and yet there's no surety that we have tapped into the reservoir.

Totally agreed. I've had wells where we did 4 DST's in 4 separate zones, which were most expected to flow, but only water came out. But in the zone where nothing was expected, crude was flowing in the flare pit.

It's a tough business this...kaash hakoomat walon ko bhi samajh ajati. Can't blame them though.

Media hype more govt didnt create hype...
Our media is our bolywood and Hollywood its an entertainment industry..
Previously we had 17 dry wells ofshore..soeaks for itself

Nothing wrong in Pakistan saying we are hopeful and we want more investment

At least we should repeat a blunder of sating we found something at iran boarder as we said by caretaker minister

Totally agreed. I've had wells where we did 4 DST's in 4 separate zones, which were most expected to flow, but only water came out. But in the zone where nothing was expected, crude was flowing in the flare pit.

It's a tough business this...kaash hakoomat walon ko bhi samajh ajati. Can't blame them though.
What is more unfortunate is the tale behind this well. Rumour is, this is Eni's last ditch effort to save it's business in Pakistan. Should this well fail, Eni is going to sell it's business to the god forsaken chinese. and oh the chinese. the absolute disaster they are bringing into our oil and gas industry. I cringe at the thought of Pakistan's oil and gas control falling into the hands of the chinese. at the rate we are going, it's just a matter of time....

yeah reading same types of news from the last two weeks.sometimes they say they will find oil and now gas.this government should better focus on economy.all promises seems to be lies.

What is more unfortunate is the tale behind this well. Rumour is, this is Eni's last ditch effort to save it's business in Pakistan. Should this well fail, Eni is going to sell it's business to the god forsaken chinese. and oh the chinese. the absolute disaster they are bringing into our oil and gas industry. I cringe at the thought of Pakistan's oil and gas control falling into the hands of the chinese. at the rate we are going, it's just a matter of time....

UEP?

They've already bought off OMV, and rumors are that MOL is on it's last breaths as well. At the moment, UEP pays well, but once they have a monopoly in the private sector, they'll be leeching us all.

Hilong, CCDC, and the likes are already venturing into the services side...not to mention CNLC and the likes.

yeah reading same types of news from the last two weeks.sometimes they say they will find oil and now gas.this government should better focus on economy.all promises seems to be lies.
In oil wells there are gas also so thats why they are saying but govt should avoid making such claims but we have beem known for claiming just like from childhood we have beem hearing balochistan is malamaal with natur resources

UEP?

They've already bought off OMV, and rumors are that MOL is on it's last breaths as well. At the moment, UEP pays well, but once they have a monopoly in the private sector, they'll be leeching us all.

Hilong, CCDC, and the likes are already venturing into the services side...not to mention CNLC and the likes.
Yup.... that god damned UEP. They are getting rid of all the Pakistanis at the top positions and bringing in their Chinese. Recent news.

And you have no idea how poorly these chinese companies are paying. It's labor exploitation at the fullest. It's disgusting to say the least.....

Yup.... that god damned UEP. They are getting rid of all the Pakistanis at the top positions and bringing in their Chinese. Recent news.

And you have no idea how poorly these chinese companies are paying. It's labor exploitation at the fullest. It's disgusting to say the least.....

CNLC gives 12k to a fresh "engineer"!

There safety standards are the worst as well. I remember the news where Hilong (I think) was doing their first few cement jobs for conductor casing and the lo torc busted open, killing a guy on the floor.

I totally agree..
Its like money saving at its best.. They can not be called thrifty only... they are misers with no dignity or regard to human life.
Chinese across the field are like that.. Be it fertilizer plant, the coal plant, the gas fired plant .. They have been a tough vendor.. Hse rules are discarded like tissue paper.. Imagine the condition of hse colleagues when u see Chinese welding in water with wires broken or cracked at multiple ends or forcing a few usl or semi to work a few stories up without sling or harness ...
U need to keep them under a camera for them to work at speed that is unthinkable in pakistan

Any updates on the offshore drilling....???? the timeline given was end feb - early march

Back
Top Bottom