What's new

Pakistan Army's VT-4 Main Battle Tank | Updates & Discussions

A few months ago, I posted about the indigenous manufacturing of VT4 but one of the so called informed and well connected experts on the forum was quick to contradict me. I don’t even remember who it was.

In house manufacturing of VT-4 is appreciated. It is good machine and meets PA requirements.

To be more specific, I remember an officer had once come up with a report in the PA regarding initiative given to NCOs and younger officers and noticed a downward trend in how many individual tasks and initiatives were being given to this part of the forces and how this was effecting their decision making prowess. It has led to a trend in recent times where even senior NCOs, JCOs and younger officers are having to consult more senior officers over the most minor of things.

I’ve also heard this same thing from friends and classmates who ended up enlisting as officers, that they are responsible for tasks that ideally an NCO or JCO should be accomplishing on their own power of decision. This was apparently much less of an issue 15-20 years ago than it has become now.

The most dangerous downsides to it are the fact that these same NCOs, JCOs and YOs are then less willing to take important decisions during actual combat or combat exercises, leading to a need for an officer to be present where he ideally shouldn’t be.
so the PA is turning into the soviet army?

A few months ago, I posted about the indigenous manufacturing of VT4 but one of the so called informed and well connected experts on the forum was quick to contradict me. I don’t even remember who it was.
Becareful, they are many slayer here, flying the Pakistan flag but actually living overseas who will not stop at smearing any progress of Pakistan military especially with Chinese. And you know who is the biggest enemy of China? Not India.

In house manufacturing of VT-4 is appreciated. It is good machine and meets PA requirements.
I think now it justify PA purchasing up to 400 VT-4 from Norinco. With Norinco TOT assembly line to Pakistan. But I believe engine and certain sensitive components are still non transferable and need to be imported from China for assembly.

How can we tell that these are VT-4? Couldn't these be Alkhalid-1? Wasn't HIT still to complete the last order of those? Can someone point out how to identify if it's a VT-4 hull or not?
Very easy to tell AK1 and VT-4 Hulls apart, notice how much taller the side profile is in the photo. The Hull that reads 120 is the last AK-1 hull. The original order of 220 was reduced to 120 to start Haider production instead, right now the last few AK-1s and VT4s are being worked on in tandem at the assembly line.

This news was already posted on this thread and several others over a month ago.

Very easy to tell AK1 and VT-4 Hulls apart, notice how much taller the side profile is in the photo. The Hull that reads 120 is the last AK-1 hull. The original order of 220 was reduced to 120 to start Haider production instead, right now the last few AK-1s and VT4s are being worked on in tandem at the assembly line.

This news was already posted on this thread and several others over a month ago.
Thanks for your reply. So I was right that not all those pictures show VT-4 and the last of the Alkhalid-1 are still being produced. The posts before implied that the picture (including the hull with no. 120) were all VT-4 whereas you have clarified that that is actually an Alkhalid-1. Though the 'easy to tell' part may be for experts like you only. :P

Where does this batch of 120 tanks once completed take the total number of Ak/Ak1?

Thanks for your reply. So I was right that not all those pictures show VT-4 and the last of the Alkhalid-1 are still being produced. The posts before implied that the picture (including the hull with no. 120) were all VT-4 whereas you have clarified that that is actually an Alkhalid-1. Though the 'easy to tell' part may be for experts like you only. :P

Where does this batch of 120 tanks once completed take the total number of Ak/Ak1?
441 total produced at HIT. (excluding prototypes and other variants made in China). Around 433-435 should still be in service (that’s including the currently 30 or so at HIT waiting delivery) given the two display models at HIT and the training vehicles with the EME corp, unless any AKs have been put out of service over the years (might be the case with some of the very first ones if they got involved in any accidents etc, but I doubt it, 20 years is not a lot of time for a tank).

Last edited:
Where is that number of 679 put up few months ago of total Haider tanks to be produced in Pakistan, has that number changed

Data shared earlier was
1 - 175 initial order made in China
2 - 284 to be produced from kits
3 - 110 first order fully build AT HIT
4 - 110 2nd order fully build at HIT

does fully build also include some level of engine and transmission manufacturing or assembly?

Last edited:
441 total produced at HIT. (excluding prototypes and other variants made in China). Around 433-435 should still be in service (that’s including the currently 30 or so at HIT waiting delivery) given the two display models at HIT and the training vehicles with the EME corp, unless any AKs have been put out of service over the years (might be the case with some of the very first ones if they got involved in any accidents etc, but I doubt it, 20 years is not a lot of time for a tank).
Those are roughly 9 to 10 regiments. An armored/Mech Division plus accompanying IABG.

Fly0XrbagAAeauS

Do I understand correctly that the mass production of VT4 has already begun? Or is it just the preparation phase? Are there any required dates for the delivery of all tanks (and, as far as I understand, they are ordered, far from one hundred pieces)?

Do I understand correctly that the mass production of VT4 has already begun? Or is it just the preparation phase? Are there any required dates for the delivery of all tanks (and, as far as I understand, they are ordered, far from one hundred pieces)?
It has begun by the looks of it....

Mass production where? In Pakistan? Has started but not at full capacity yet, many more parts will be localized slowly. Currently there are more VT4s being assembled in CKD form at HIT.

required dates exist, but they are flexible, depends on economic situation. If the money keeps coming, HIT can make VT4s at 50+ tanks per year, hence completing all current orders before 2030 (as nearly half the tanks are/were Direct imports or CKDs).

Exact numbers for both already ordered and future plans were posted here before.

Back
Top Bottom