What's new

Pakistan Army's VT-4 Main Battle Tank | Updates & Discussions

You are right at your own point. But my point is that we can still maintain a decent fleet of tanks. Instead of keeping the numbers to 3000+ Tank fleet, PA can and it might be doing it and we don't know i.e: 1500 Strong Fleet of modern Tanks.
No. Because numbers are more important for PA and it will remain as such due to our enemy, geography, doctrine and funding.

You are right at your own point. But my point is that we can still maintain a decent fleet of tanks. Instead of keeping the numbers to 3000+ Tank fleet, PA can and it might be doing it and we don't know i.e: 1500 Strong Fleet of modern Tanks.
When it comes to Tanks numbers still matter. At best if you have to replace 3000 Tanks you can have 2500 modern Tanks not fully 3000 but not less then that.

These figure of tanks would amount only to form four mechanised divs. Thus all the operations,both offensive and defensive, will fall on these formations. They will have to conduct these operations simultaneously. And if even one of these suffers attrition than our position would be nothing less of precarious. For this reason numerous indp armd bdes have been raised plus inf divs also have them so they can operate on the defensive without weakening our offensive capability. Given our border length and terrain superior quality ( in mech warfare) will have hard time competing with decent quality but more numerous forces. Thus as long as IA maintains a sizeable fleet of tanks so will PA and vice versa.
Another thing as that even at the present number of tanks we a re qualitatively superior.

These figure of tanks would amount only to form four mechanised divs. Thus all the operations,both offensive and defensive, will fall on these formations. They will have to conduct these operations simultaneously. And if even one of these suffers attrition than our position would be nothing less of precarious. For this reason numerous indp armd bdes have been raised plus inf divs also have them so they can operate on the defensive without weakening our offensive capability. Given our border length and terrain superior quality ( in mech warfare) will have hard time competing with decent quality but more numerous forces. Thus as long as IA maintains a sizeable fleet of tanks so will PA and vice versa.
Another thing as that even at the present number of tanks we a re qualitatively superior.
In fact the technological and quality gap between Pakistani tanks and Indian tanks is so massive that it’s honestly funny when people just assume that Indian armored forces must be better because they’re “bigger and better funded”…the devil is in the details for them. The best of what they have is barely comparable to our UDs, let alone AK, AK-1 and VT-4.

In fact the technological and quality gap between Pakistani tanks and Indian tanks is so massive that it’s honestly funny when people just assume that Indian armored forces must be better because they’re “bigger and better funded”…the devil is in the details for them. The best of what they have is barely comparable to our UDs, let alone AK, AK-1 and VT-4.
Exactly,we have both quality and quantity. And inspite of all the criticism its credit must be given to the upper echelons.
I suppose the historic difference that the invading forces from the west were usually light( overall) yet faster and better equipped than the more bulky and slow moving defenders of Ganges continues

Last edited:
There is another aspect of Tank Warfare that PA has been quietly working on. Lets see who can identify it.

These maybe 😬😬

images (3).jpeg
images (4).jpeg
images (6).jpeg
images (7).jpeg

Are you referring to test which was conducted during Kiyani time. Where some sort of laser was used to create a malfunction in a Tank.
That sort of APS is used in Chinese Type 99A, though it’s ability to damage any tank optics or systems is questionable, it maybe be able to damage weapons such as ATGMs.

Experts are raising doubts about feasibility of expensive tanks after tanks poor performance in Syria Lebanon nikora karbagh etc

Perhaps army aviation and artillery be strengthened instead especially with drones

Read UK isn't interested in replacing challenger

That sort of APS is used in Chinese Type 99A, though it’s ability to damage any tank optics or systems is questionable, it maybe be able to damage weapons such as ATGMs.

It could physically burn through a plywood board at 1KM. It is very capable of damaging tank optics.

It could physically burn through a plywood board at 1KM. It is very capable of damaging tank optics.

I doubt because of the amount of energy that would be needed to pull this off, I don’t doubt it’s possible, but unless it’s somehow drawing power literally from the tanks engine (unlikely) or has a massive capacitor somewhere in the tank, It just doesn’t seem realistic. A normal APU could not provide enough power for this, nor could a normal battery or capacitor (as the power would be required very rapidly and for a prolonged period).
I found the system very interesting so I tried to figure out the science behind it and it doesnt make sense scientifically, granted I’m no expert and there’s literally no information about it, but that would have to be an extremely efficient laser with a very powerful and compact source, so cutting edge tech, how this was available years back on the Type 99…thats also something I can’t answer.

The APS in the original type 99 had grenades along with the laser system to protect itself, 99A only has the laser, so I assume there was some improvement. Obviously if it’s in mass use it must work in some way, it’s just hard to figure out how it can burn tank optics at range.

A Plywood board is much different than reinforced glass and tank optics, much more flammable, thinner, larger, not moving, not firing back at you, one can aim the laser at it for as long as needed.

Experts are raising doubts about feasibility of expensive tanks after tanks poor performance in Syria Lebanon nikora karbagh etc

Perhaps army aviation and artillery be strengthened instead especially with drones

Read UK isn't interested in replacing challenger
Have answered this before, drones aren’t relevant in a balanced conventional war and tanks are as relevant as they will ever be…

Refer to Post #2791

Tanks have performed poorly in areas where one side has complete air superiority (Azerbaijan and Turkey in Syria using drones) or where the tactics being used are piss poor (Lebanon and Iraq). That is not indicative of a proper balanced conventional war.
PS: UK literally just unveiled the Challenger 3 to upgrade its older challengers 2…

Last edited:
Pakistan army basically wasted money for nothing. Who needs tanks in 2021?
Yes, they wasted it all, the worlds best armies like Nepali and Indian armies have moved past tanks and switched to next generation warfare which includes sitting in their homes and complaining about Pakistani army acquisitions on a defense forum, so far it has worked wonders, the poor Pakistani army has retreated and surrendered to the might of the combined Nepali and Indian defense forces with their next-generation warfare doctrine.

Back
Top Bottom