What's new

Pakistan Army's T-129 ATAK Helicopter Deal | Updates & Discussions.

It's an innovative idea and seems plausible. But I guess PAF will not let it happen. After all, fixed wing airborne killing stuff is PAF department and PAF will tend to keep UCAV squadrons within its ranks instead of letting army to raise its own.
Army doesn't fly any UAVs of its own? Navy uses its own drone, so Navy has moved out of PAF's sphere in one aspect. For recon and surveillance, PAA uses its own aerial assets- helicopters. Shift to UAV is possible for same purpose.

AH-64E is poised to control UAV/UCAVs in future. The modern gunships that PAA may acquire could be upgraded with same feature, later if not sooner. Unlike India, Pakistani gunships are part of Army not Air Force.

Army doesn't fly any UAVs of its own? Navy uses its own drone, so Navy has moved out of PAF's sphere in one aspect. For recon and surveillance, PAA uses its own aerial assets- helicopters. Shift to UAV is possible for same purpose.

AH-64E is poised to control UAV/UCAVs in future. The modern gunships that PAA may acquire could be upgraded with same feature, later if not sooner. Unlike India, Pakistani gunships are part of Army not Air Force.
Army does fly UAVs of its own. But my point was specifically for MALE & HALE UCAVs which will be equipped with heavy ATGM payload for Anti armor missions.
I don't think PAF will let army have such asset in its disposal. Instead PAF will attempt to raise its dedicated air support drone squadrons which will be providing ground support to army units.

Rest, light UAVs meant for recon purposes can be operated within army, even at section level, to increase its combat capacity.

83944453_865821160506266_2789930190485061632_o.jpg

Insha'Allah the Turkish engineers, along with some "friends", working day and night on the Turbo-shaft engines won't disappoint us....

According to the defense analyst Mete Yarar, the closest to the Establishment as far as I have seen, the Turkish indigenous chopper engine is almost there...

hqdefault.jpg
How is test/procurement of safran arrano 1a going or other COTS option? An off the shelf mature turboshaft is required rather than one which is being developed.
TEI will succeed and I believe GE is partner with them, but maturing takes time.

Some good news....
Latest, Thanks to Janes
@TOPGUN @Hakikat ve Hikmet @Windjammer @MastanKhan @Tipu7 @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @LKJ86 @khanasifm @Beast @Bratva

https://www.janes.com/article/94224...rospace-looks-to-secure-t129-export-approvals

Singapore Airshow 2020: Turkish Aerospace looks to secure T129 export approvals
Jon Grevatt, Singapore - Jane's Defence Weekly
11 February 2020

p1728091_main.jpg

TAI is aiming to secure US approval to export its T129 ATAK multirole combat helicopter (pictured) to Pakistan. Source: TAI
Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) is confident that it will soon acquire the necessary approvals from the United States to support the sale of the company's T129 ATAK multirole combat helicopter to Pakistan.

A company spokesperson told Jane's at the Singapore Airshow on 11 February that the required permits could be approved within the next two months given what he said was "increasingly good communication" between the Turkish and US governments.

In July 2018 Turkey confirmed that it had signed an agreement with the government of Pakistan to supply 30 T129 helicopters, which are powered by US-made LHTEC CTS800-4A turboshaft engines, for the Pakistan Army's aviation corps.

The deal, believed to be worth about USD1.5 billion, was touted by the Presidency of the Republic of Turkey Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (SSB) as "the largest single export in the history of the Turkish defence industry".

However, after the contract was signed diplomatic relations between the US and Turkey deteriorated following Ankara's decision to procure the S-400 Triumf air-defence system from Russia. The TAI spokesperson said that diplomatic relations between the US and Turkey are now improving and that the delay in supplying the T129 platforms will soon be resolved.

In addition to Pakistan, the TAI spokesperson said that the company is bidding for a requirement for attack helicopters in the Philippines. In 2017 the Philippine Department of National Defense (DND) said it would procure up to 24 attack helicopters for the Philippine Air Force (PAF) before the end of 2022. The procurement is likely to require loans from suppliers.

In November 2018 the DND confirmed to Jane's that a procurement team set up by the PAF had identified the T129 platform to fulfill its attack helicopter capability demands.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to Jane's unrivalled data and insight, learn more about our subscription options at janes.com/products

Last edited:
In November 2018 the DND confirmed to Jane's that a procurement team set up by the PAF had identified the T129 platform to fulfill its attack helicopter capability demands.
PAF (Philippines Air Force) wants 24 T129.

PA (Pakistan Army) wants 30 helis.

I hope the Engine part (US approval in few months) is true but you can never Trust Uncle Sam especially under the Administration of Uncle Trump :rolleyes1:

PAA does use UAVs. Even arty observation is done through UAVs like Luna etc.

What I would love to see is DJI drones for the Army. Cheap, effective and excellent value for money. There really is no competition when it comes to DJI, they own 80% of the global civil drone market. Check out their low to high end products. I used to be a middle man in the sales of such things but PA should go directly to the manufacturer and make a grand deal.

Back
Top Bottom