What's new

Pakistan Army's T-129 ATAK Helicopter Deal | Updates & Discussions.

Diverse platforms ? AH-Z1 comes with 1000 hell fire missiles which we do need , plus AH-z1 is slightly superior in performance compared to T-129 and T-129-2 we don't know how far it from been operational . for Zulu's we might have setup for maintenance and over haul cause of Old Cobra .

Correct number is 12 units , 3 to be delivered by end of 2017, and remaining 9 will be delivered in 2018 .
As stated by @GriffinsRule, there's no commonality between the AH-1F/S and the AH-1Z. They're from different families, with the AH-1Z being a major upgrade of the twin-engine Super Cobra platform. In conventional war, Pakistan's domestic supply channel of locally sourced spare parts, maintenance and repair services will be critical to keeping the attack helicopters active. The Army is investing to build all that for the T129, so it makes sense (and is likelier) to add more T129s ahead of any other platform, especially the AH-1Z.

The only scenario where I would consider adding maybe another handful of AH-1Z (i.e. 3-8) would be for SOF missions.

Basically, raise a Joint SOF Command and hand over the AH-1Z to it along with up to 20 UH-1Y (which has 85% commonality with the AH-1Z). This could be a common asset pool for the SSG, SSG-N and SSW should any of them need air assault inputs for an operation. Throw in some C295 fixed-wing transports with secondary ISR and gunship capabilities and MALE UAVs like CH-5s too.

Last edited:
As stated by @GriffinsRule, there's no commonality between the AH-1F/S and the AH-1Z. They're from different families, with the AH-1Z being a major upgrade of the twin-engine Super Cobra platform. In conventional war, Pakistan's domestic supply channel of locally sourced spare parts, maintenance and repair services will be critical to keeping the attack helicopters active. The Army is investing to build all that for the T129, so it makes sense (and is likelier) to add more T129s ahead of any other platform, especially the AH-1Z.

The only scenario where I would consider adding maybe another handful of AH-1Z (i.e. 3-8) would be for SOF missions.

Basically, raise a Joint SOF Command and hand over the AH-1Z to it along with up to 20 UH-1Y (which has 85% commonality with the AH-1Z). This could be a common asset pool for the SSG, SSG-N and SSW should any of them need air assault inputs for an operation. Throw in some C295 fixed-wing transports with secondary ISR and gunship capabilities and MALE UAVs like CH-5s too.

If we are looking to make major spare parts for T-129's than i doubt they are just looking for 30 Units ? we have around 50-55 Cobras to be replaced so these 30 along with 12 AH-Z1's will make around 40-45 Attack helicopters . Quick question , is there any other ATGM we are looking to mount on these T-129's ? we have Hell fire 2 and Burq missiles but i wonder if Burq can be mounted on Turkish copter ?

If we are looking to make major spare parts for T-129's than i doubt they are just looking for 30 Units ? we have around 50-55 Cobras to be replaced so these 30 along with 12 AH-Z1's will make around 40-45 Attack helicopters . Quick question , is there any other ATGM we are looking to mount on these T-129's ? we have Hell fire 2 and Burq missiles but i wonder if Burq can be mounted on Turkish copter ?
We would go for UMTAS with Turkish Attack Helicopters

Exactly. The final assembly and parts manufacturing line at PAC means that more than 30 T129s are intended.

After the initial order, the PA can look at adding more T129s on an incremental basis, e.g. 3 a year. Over a period of 10 years, that would amount to another 30 helicopters.

As for ATGM, Turkey is offering the T129 with the Roketsan UMTAS, but I don't think it'd be a problem to integrate the Burq.

Concentrating all your aerial manufacturing facilities in one area, would prove to be a big blunder if a war ever breaks out.

Exactly. The final assembly and parts manufacturing line at PAC means that more than 30 T129s are intended.

After the initial order, the PA can look at adding more T129s on an incremental basis, e.g. 3 a year. Over a period of 10 years, that would amount to another 30 helicopters.

As for ATGM, Turkey is offering the T129 with the Roketsan UMTAS, but I don't think it'd be a problem to integrate the Burq.

Concentrating all your aerial manufacturing facilities in one area, would prove to be a big blunder if a war ever breaks out.
I agree. It's also unwise from an economic point of view, there should be high-value industry entities all over the country, especially interior Sindh, Baluchistan and KP. By inserting an aviation plant of some kind in interior Sindh, you can help enrich surrounding towns and areas in many ways, thus reducing migration to Karachi.

Nazi Germans lost industries as war progressed and they had their industries situated in different locations not circling around one place. its worrying in case of war if the enemy planes have to destroy our production facilities they could do in one go.

True, not just aerial manufacturing (PAC). Even HIT, POF, KSEW etc. I have long dreamt about another PAC at Turbat and a shipyard at Gawadar, a port at Pasni.
An HIT at Jacobabad/ Ziarat while another POF at DI Khan would be a welcome addition if we had the money. It seriously is time to look west of Indus for security. With such installations in these areas, security will also improve in these areas.
Don't bash me guys for all this. I am a simple man who likes dreaming alot.

Is it true that they're going to use a part of the loan to establish industrial production capacities for T129 in Pakistan?

Back
Top Bottom