What's new

Pakistan Army Information

Pakistan already has this kind of arrangement in place. Pakistani officers attend foreign military colleges and foreign military officers visit Pakistan. I lived in Quetta which has once such Institution called the Command and Staff College.

I had a feel this was the case but what in essence I am suggesting is it mast be bigger. I would also suggest places such as Australia need to increase their approaches in this type of arrangement.
The critical issue for both nations is the regional approach. We are all in a somewhat unstable region, just looking at places as Timor, Solomon Islands parts of the Philippines, PNG and Indonesian border, without even starting with Pakistan’s internal issues and border with Afghanistan. Things are bigger than one nation. The region is our home and it needs looking after.

I have to agree with you here. Our students are generally shy and suffer with severe kind of inferiority complex (not all though).
A lot of students local and international suffer this basic human problem. It is also hard as a lecture to deal with such students as they seldom don’t let on that they may be having problems. One has to read the behaviour to get to the root of some issues.

I don’t interfere in their way of life, they don’t interfere in my way of life. Unfortunately, this degree of tolerance is not found in the US foreign policy.

I respect your credentials. On a side: My Grand Dad did his graduation from Cambridge, UK in 1920s, my Dad did his post graduation from Australia, I did my PhD and Post-Doc from the US, yet, after three generation long interaction with the foreigners, we have still preserved our culture, religion and independent thought process.

There is nothing in what I suggest that you would have to change your culture religion and independent thought. It is a case of gaining information and understanding of the other person. Understanding their religion, culture and thought processes.
Both gain that way. It is pat of gaining experiences of life.

I went to China for work, but that did not mean I dropped all my culture beliefs for theirs. It meant I saw things there that helped me understand where they came from during discussions and cultural interactions.

My personal feeling is Pakistan should look seriously at regional interaction before moving out side the region. Regional interaction builds strong region ties and that is more important strategically.
Absolutely right, it sure do is better then sending off officers to other countries, but the kind of neighborhood we reside in don't offer much to this option!

Let's see what we have:

india- an archenemy

Afghan-They don't like us (when i say i can prove this)

Iran- they come to us as they consider us more capable!

All of the middle east- again they send Officers to our training institutions as due to our compulsions we have developed a quite a potent armed forces!

Cadets from Turkmenistan have been getting training in PMA.

Yes a little bit if regional cooperation is there as our officers do go on secondment to Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries, but these countries just send their officers in Pakistan for training and not for instructor ship!

Pakistan already has this kind of arrangement in place. Pakistani officers attend foreign military colleges and foreign military officers visit Pakistan. I lived in Quetta which has one such Institution called the Command and Staff College.

Not only this cooperation takes place in Command and Staff college but almost every training institution of the PA do have alot of foreign students coming to them round the year!

Absolutely right, it sure do is better then sending off officers to other countries, but the kind of neighborhood we reside in don't offer much to this option!

Let's see what we have:

india- an archenemy

Afghan-They don't like us (when i say i can prove this)

Iran- they come to us as they consider us more capable!

All of the middle east- again they send Officers to our training institutions as due to our compulsions we have developed a quite a potent armed forces!

Cadets from Turkmenistan have been getting training in PMA.

Yes a little bit if regional cooperation is there as our officers do go on secondment to Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries, but these countries just send their officers in Pakistan for training and not for instructor ship!

Look fine, but in reality sending officers off to the local neighbours as you describe is not where you need to go. All they are doing is fundamentally going next door to say hello.

Also this type of policy is narrow-minded with respect to the region.

This policy needs to expand greatly. Regionally I would see the following included:
Turkey
Australia
China, (a possible but I would have doubts)
Iran, (again doubtful)

Note I am picking nations/countries that are active. Notice I am definitely extending the narrow perspective of region.

Though China has big military machine I only see it being open to very limited training for outsiders.
Iran is dormant so to speak. Its last battles and test of operational strategy and tactics was in the 80’s so they don’t really have anything “recent” to deliver as training for other nations. No recent lessons learned. You can argue this for as long as one wants but they, their army, has not left their border for years.

Outside the region:
The first options are obvious:
UK
US
Canada
Then there are a few NATO countries with ‘recent’ experience and hence lessons learned.

So what I was actually suggesting is radical as it is pointed in these directions:
1. Expand the region. Next door neighbours are not going to be useful.
2. Look for nations with current lessons learned in warfare
3. Officers especially must go for training courses to these places and officers from there must come to Pakistan especially to teach.
4. There must be some level of secondment between these interaction nation. Officers go not just for courses but to take an active military role in active units. That is they hold a posting in that unit.

Ok language will be a barrier to some degree. I don’t ignore that but for every hurdle there is a way around it. It is not impossible it is just a matter of mentality to actually DO IT.

Not only this cooperation takes place in Command and Staff college but almost every training institution of the PA do have alot of foreign students coming to them round the year!

The most critical areas of this interaction is at officer level and starts at the base step, the Lieutenant.
Sending soldiers as a group; be it platoon, section etc, this is straight course training. Nothing wrong here but again, bigger region helps.

Look fine, but in reality sending officers off to the local neighbours as you describe is not where you need to go. All they are doing is fundamentally going next door to say hello.

Also this type of policy is narrow-minded with respect to the region.

This policy needs to expand greatly. Regionally I would see the following included:
Turkey
Australia
China, (a possible but I would have doubts)
Iran, (again doubtful)

Note I am picking nations/countries that are active. Notice I am definitely extending the narrow perspective of region.

Though China has big military machine I only see it being open to very limited training for outsiders.
Iran is dormant so to speak. Its last battles and test of operational strategy and tactics was in the 80’s so they don’t really have anything “recent” to deliver as training for other nations. No recent lessons learned. You can argue this for as long as one wants but they, their army, has not left their border for years.

Outside the region:
The first options are obvious:
UK
US
Canada
Then there are a few NATO countries with ‘recent’ experience and hence lessons learned.

So what I was actually suggesting is radical as it is pointed in these directions:
1. Expand the region. Next door neighbours are not going to be useful.
2. Look for nations with current lessons learned in warfare
3. Officers especially must go for training courses to these places and officers from there must come to Pakistan especially to teach.
4. There must be some level of secondment between these interaction nation. Officers go not just for courses but to take an active military role in active units. That is they hold a posting in that unit.

Ok language will be a barrier to some degree. I don’t ignore that but for every hurdle there is a way around it. It is not impossible it is just a matter of mentality to actually DO IT.

Well i will only add that Pak Army has been and is sending Officers to the following countries for training, secondment, cooperation etc etc:-
Turkey
Japan
China
Bangladesh
UK
USA
Germany (a very few)
France (quite a few)

The most critical areas of this interaction is at officer level and starts at the base step, the Lieutenant.
Sending soldiers as a group; be it platoon, section etc, this is straight course training. Nothing wrong here but again, bigger region helps.

The SSG and the Battalions going for UN Missions only take along the troops i.e. the NCO cadre. SSG also send soldiers for courses, but all the remaining Arms (infantry, artillery, armor, signals, engineers etc etc) only send Officers abroad for certain courses.

COAS awarded Legion of Merit

WASHINGTON: Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani – currently on a weeklong visit to t he US – has been awarded the Legion of Merit (degree of commander).

The COAS on Wednesday called on US Defence Secretary Robert Gates to discuss matters of mutual interest. According to ISPR, the COAS also called on US Defence Intelligence Agency Director Lt General Mapples, in addition to visiting the Pentagon – where he met US Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Chairman Admiral Michael Mullen. Official bilateral talks were also held between Kayani and US army chief General George Casey. app

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

SALAM
sub inspector in pakistan rangers is a ranked as Junior commission officer(jco) or officer

Honours and Awards

Military Awards
The military awards consist of Operational Awards, Non-Operational Awards, the Tamgha-i-Difa and the Imtiazi Sanad. In addition, campaign and commemorative medals for special occasions are instituted as and when necessary, Awards issued prior to 15 August 1947, will be governed by the rules applicable to them.

Operational Awards
These comprise:
Nishan-i-Haider.
Hilal-i-Jur’at.
Sitara-i-Jur’at.
Tamgha-i-Jur’at.

Conferment of Operation Awards
These awards are conferrable on living persons and also posthumously on those killed whilst performing gallant act or who die subsequent to performing such acts for which had they lived, they would have been eligible for the award. In such cases the awards are given to the recipient’s nearest relative.

The qualifications and conditions for each award are given in the subsequent rules.

Nishan-i-Haider
Eligibility
Only those members of the Armed Forces, the Frontier Corps and the Frontier Constabulary when serving under the Federal Government, who have performed acts of greatest heroism or of the most conspicuous courage in circumstances of extreme danger, and have shown bravery of the highest order, or devotion to the country in the presence of the enemy on land, at sea or in the air, shall be eligible for this award. This award is conferrable on all ranks.

Privileges
The recipient of this Award has the privilege of adding letters ‘NH’ after his name.

Hilal-i-Jur’at
Eligibility
This award is conferrable on officers only, for acts of valour, courage or devotion to duty, performed on land, at sea or in the air in the face of the enemy.

Privileges
The recipient has the privilege to add the letters “HJ” after his name.

Sitara-i-Jur’at
Eligibility
Officers, Junior Commissioned Officers of the Army, the Frontier Corps and the Frontier Constabulary when serving under the Federal Government, Chief Petty Officers of the Navy and Flight Sergeants of the Air Force are eligible for this award, for gallantry and distinguished services performed in combat.

Privileges
The recipient is entitled to add the letters ‘SJ’ after his name.

Tamgha-i-Jur’at
Eligibility
Only non-commissioned officers and other ranks of the three Services, the Frontier Corps, Frontier Constabulary and Pakistan Rangers when serving under the Federal Government, are eligible for this award, for gallantry and distinguished services performed in combat.

Privileges
The recipient has the privilege of adding the letters ‘TJ’ after his name.

Imtiazi Sanad
Conferment
All members of the Armed Forces and civil armed forces who are mentioned in the dispatches of the Chief of the Army Staff for gallantry not qualifying for a gallantry award, or for distinguished services, shall become eligible for ‘Imtiazi Sanad’.

Non-Operational Awards
These comprise:-
Sitara-i-Basalat.
Tamgha-i-Basalat.
Tamgha-i-Khidmat Class I.
Tamgha-i-Khidmat Class II
Tamgha-i-Khidmat Class III.

Conferment
All non-operational awards referred to in Rule 634, except Sitara-i-Basalat and Tamgha-i-Basalat, are not conferrable posthumously. The conditions for each award are given in the subsequent rules.

Bars
In case of non-operational awards a Bar is awardable only to “Sitara-i-Basalat and Tamgha-i-Basalat. Sitara-i-Basalat and Tamgha-i-Basalat are conferrable to members of the three Armed Services, the Frontier Corps, the Frontier Constabulary and the Pakistan Rangers when serving under the Federal government for acts of valour, courage and devotion to duty, though not on active operations against the enemy.

Privileges of Sitara-i-Basalat and Tamgha-i-Basalat
The recipient of Sitara-i-Basalat and Tamgha-i-Basalat has the privilege of adding the letters ‘S Bt’ “T Bt” as the case may be after his name.

Tamgha-i-Khidmat
It is awardable by Classes as given below, to Junior Commissioned Officers of the Army, the Frontier Corps and Frontier Constabulary when serving under the Federal Government, Chief Petty Officers of the Navy and the Flight Sergeants of the air Force as well as to Non-Commissioned Officers, Other Ranks and Non-Combatants (Enrolled) of the Army or equivalent ranks of the navy and Air Force and the Frontier Corps and the Frontier Constabulary, who have rendered long meritorious or distinguished service of a non-operational nature:

Class I
The aforementioned categories of personnel above, non commissioned rank, holders of the Class II of this Award or the OBI 2nd Class serving on the active list, who are recommended for promotion to Class I.

Class II
To the personnel mentioned in above, who are not already holders of OBI 2nd class.

Class III
To Non-Commissioned Officers, Other Ranks and Non-Combatants (Enrolled). Those Junior Commissioned Officers/Other Ranks, who qualify for any medal/decoration, while in service, but proceed on retirement before its actual institution and should have fallen within the selection zone for the grant of TK(Mil) if given the benefit of marks for such medal/ decoration, while in service, may be awarded TK (Mil) from the vacancies available on the notification date occurring immediately after the institution of such medal/ decoration.

http://www.pakistanarmy.gov.pk

Army starts war games at NDU

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Army started its latest round of war games at the National Defence University on Monday to improve the combat-readiness of the armed forces to effectively counter any internal or external challenges. Titled, ‘Azam-e-Nau’, the exercises would thoroughly analyse the threats faced by the nation and recommend an effective response strategy to counteract them. Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Chairman General Tariq Majid, Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar and Chief of Naval Staff Noman Bashir attended the opening ceremony of the exercises.

staff report

Military cooperation between Pakistan and China

Under severe economic recession and financial storm, Pakistan’s defence procurement budget might be further reduced and the plan of purchasing J10A and JF17 is falling short of necessary financing. At the same time, re-entering of quite a number of US equipments into Pakistan’s three services has had full impact on China’s position in Pakistan’s traditional arms market, and many projects that are under negotiations with China are now in staggering situation.

(For full story, please refer to April 2009 issue of Kanwa Asian Defence.)

:: ISPR :: Inter Services Public Relations - PAKISTAN

120th Corps Commanders Conference

120th Corps Commanders’ Conference was held at General Headquarters today. The Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani chaired the meeting. It was part of a regular monthly meeting. The participants were briefed on the external and internal security situation and measures to improve.

COAS in his opening remarks dilated upon various issues related to national security and current challenges. COAS expressed his satisfaction over the ongoing process of smooth, peaceful and safe return of Malakand IDPs. He appreciated the efforts of all those involved in resettlement of IDPs.

General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani paid rich tributes to the sacrifices of officers and men during the operation in Malakand and FATA. He also appreciated the high morale and dedication of the officers and men who are engaged in fighting the menace of terrorism and violent extremism in the country.

COAS also expressed satisfaction on the conduct of Army War Games, code named ‘Exercise AZAM-E-NAU’, being participated by senior officers of the Army and Air Force.

Back
Top Bottom