What's new

Pakistan Army Aviation Corps - Updated

Now this is a topic of interest.

How should a gunship attack a position or moving vehicles or any kind of target. Fire on the move or hovering fire.

What %age of TOWs were fired by AH-1s in COIN ops when compared with chin mounted cannon and rockets ?
Mi-35 is to be deployed for COIN Ops. So how important is it to carry ATGM ?

Another thing, how much of fuel and ammo carrying capacity should be compromised by AH-1 and Mi-35 to reach higher altitudes ? Full compliment of weapons Vs Fuel.
TOWs were used far more extensively at that time than they would be now even if the capability was there because the terrorists don’t really have bunkers, strongholds, dug in positions, technicals etc as they did back in those years. So yes an Mi-35 realistically does not need to carry any ATGMs for COIN ops in Pakistan, especially not for the CAS roles it’s undertaking. However if it were to ever be used in a strike role against terrorists or for any conventional roles, then the lacking capability would be a question.

But obviously with the tiny number and the Z-10ME, this is not a concern, I was just trying to clarify that PA likely does not have any ATGMs for its Mi35Ms, but yes, it doesn’t need them.

Last edited:
Mechanics isnt my domain.

With the engines that PA Mi-35's have, can the larger wing be used to carry weapons ? or will it change aerodynamics completely?
Neither it is mine sir, but i doubt that Pakistani Mi35M can carry larger stub wings.

Cobra has a triple barelled 20mm gatling gun. Cobras are built with on the move attack philosophy in mind, imo our situation mostly dictates we use them like that too. As mi35 is larger with better avionics it can fill a role similar to the Apache (if we have ATGMs).
For firing an ATGM, AH-1 has to remain static till the TOW missile impacts on the target, that's my understanding.

TOWs were used far more extensively at that time than they would be now even if the capability was there because the terrorists don’t really have bunkers, strongholds, dug in positions, technicals etc as they did back in those years. So yes an Mi-35 realistically does not need to carry any ATGMs for COIN ops in Pakistan, especially not for the CAS roles it’s undertaking. However if it were to ever be used in a strike role against terrorists or for any conventional roles, then the lacking capability would be a question.

But obviously with the tiny number and the Z-10ME, this is not a concern, I was just trying to clarify that PA likely does not have any ATGMs for its Mi35Ms, but yes, it doesn’t need them.
Another advent is ATGMs on UCAVS supporting Gunships.

For firing an ATGM, AH-1 has to remain static till the TOW missile impacts on the target, that's my understanding.

Another advent is ATGMs on UCAVS supporting Gunships.
Yes AH-1F has to stay still for wire guidance of TOWs. Not all bad though, wire guided missiles dont ping LWRs and can work through smoke. Albeit yes it can be a big disadvantage

Yes AH-1F has to stay still for wire guidance of TOWs. Not all bad though, wire guided missiles dont ping LWRs and can work through smoke. Albeit yes it can be a big disadvantage
AH1s are barely flying anymore. Won’t be a problem for long.

Precision munitions are not really needed in Balochistan.
Eh, still a basic necessity for modern helis, gives the ability to destroy buildings and vehicles without alerting the enemy till the missile hits and saves heli from damage

Yeah but as far as i know theres barely like 5. And i havent seen any precision munitions on them yet.
There’s 4 of them. No precision munitions were purchased with them AFAIK.

Yeah, pretty unfortunate. Such pretty birds.
Hope a replacement is coming, idk what the hell is going on with mi35s
Stop Gap for COIN ops and CAS until a cobra replacement was found. Z-10ME will be here eventually.

Hinds were a bad purchase anyway you see it. Limited quantity and no followup orders means under par performance at best or corruption in the deal at worst. They were also acquired at the tail end of ops against TTP and of insignificance in the larger scheme of the things. I mean which country operates just 4 helicopters of a kind that's anywhere the size of PA? Speaks volumes imo.

Hinds were a bad purchase anyway you see it. Limited quantity and no followup orders means under par performance at best or corruption in the deal at worst. They were also acquired at the tail end of ops against TTP and of insignificance in the larger scheme of the things. I mean which country operates just 4 helicopters of a kind that's anywhere the size of PA? Speaks volumes imo.
Wasnt there some news of expanding fleet to 20 ?

Yeah, pretty unfortunate. Such pretty birds.
Hope a replacement is coming, idk what the hell is going on with mi35s
Maybe PAA thinks that Jordanian upgrade with hellfire and RWR/CMs for older AH-1s isnt worth it.

Precision munitions are not really needed in Balochistan.
Any kind of bombing by Government inside Baluchistan is detrimental. Intel is doing their job on the ground and thats how IBOs are conducted. Drones or Mi-35s or F-16s dropping missiles/bombs in Baluchistan is not a good idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom