What's new

Pakistan Army APC Inventory

^^ PA does have some ATVs as shown in early IDEAS exhibition

@Ulla

Mobility issues in mountains LOC, ATV type vehicles, wheel or tracked? In absence of transport helis.

probably speed and acceleration are the key for going uphill (engine with more hp), no armor as that will reduce speed. 2-4 troop transport for rapid movement along mountains. Cargo like RR, SPG-9, bazooka, mortars and their rounds. Med-evac issues. Low operational costs. Losses to ATV are bearable. M-cycles can also be used.

Engine noise, usage of headlights etc can compromise surprise when near enemy. Less armor means troops susceptible to enemy fire.

View attachment 381362 View attachment 381363 View attachment 381364 View attachment 381365 View attachment 381366 View attachment 381367

Yes, why not, I see more the medical and logistical use for this vehicles, most LOC troops are already permanently stationed near the future battlefield , and reinforcement Home-Bases is also not far from the Border. Mull-horses are also favored by the Pakistani mountain Divisions.

Last edited:
Any further chances of selection of NORA?
Being evaluated, chances are bright for NORA B52 when we decide to BUY these wheeled SPH. All procurement are a bit slow these days, may be operation Ra'ad-ul-Fassad is a reason, may be it is the new chief!

LOC is the battlefield. You don't need reinforcement in case of war. All the OP, LP are supplemented by rear HQ/bases which are hardly a few kms away. Mules are used as the cheapest available transport but they too are weather restricted. The reality of our battlefield is very different than most people perceive. Except for the glacial areas, most of the posts in Kashmir are supplied via ground access routes even during winters. Major supplies are transported by vehicles and mules in summers. Emergency supplies can be sling dropped. MedEvac is also performed by helicopters. Riding an ATV in Pakistan's north and north-east is no less than riding a tank. It requires special training unlike in the plains. Mules and Men on the other hand are trained and have instincts of survival. IMO, ATV will risk more lives than it can save. We do operate some articulated ATVs in some areas of Kashmir.
Motorcycles were utilized for Reiki during Zarb-e-Azb. Again, mules are used for supplying posts in the FATA region. We have a good road network in FATA region so helicopters are used only for troops movement and MedEvac. The job done by mules is efficient and cheap. One should note that for an ATV to climb a mountain, it requires a path that can accommodate its wheels given most posts are accessed by very thin zigzag paths. Again, after Operation Rah-e-Nijat, efforts were made to bring most posts under the umbrella of artillery and mortar units.
On the Eastern Border, ATVs can be mainly utilized for anti tank role. But considering the fact Pakistan doesn't operate any light anti tank weapon except for some Chinese 120mm, in low numbers, it'd not be able to play the role even if employed. IMO a light anti tank weapon should be deployed which can employ the ATV as a platform for the aforementioned role.
"PS this is my personal opinion"
I'm attaching some of the photos which will help you assess the terrain, the harsh weather conditions and the possible access routes.
5efhnNh.jpg
rXnq8yf.jpg
kezBIKv.jpg
P4zjsuk.jpg
TyfVsr4.jpg

@HRK

IMG_0061.JPG

Given the large number of M113A2 APCs in Pakistani service I'm hoping a future Turkish a Pakistani project can be to bring these up to this M113A4 standard. The laminate appliqué armour alone would be worth it. Seen too many pictures of Pakistani APCs using hillbilly additional armour i.e. Sandbags packed in cages.

https://www.fnss.com.tr/en/product/m113-modernization

IMG_0062.JPG

For those that don't understand the term "hill billy armour" this is what I mean.

View attachment 395106

Given the large number of M113A2 APCs in Pakistani service I'm hoping a future Turkish a Pakistani project can be to bring these up to this M113A4 standard. The laminate appliqué armour alone would be worth it. Seen too many pictures of Pakistani APCs using hillbilly additional armour i.e. Sandbags packed in cages.

https://www.fnss.com.tr/en/product/m113-modernization

View attachment 395108

For those that don't understand the term "hill billy armour" this is what I mean.

I'm not sure what year that is from but the ones I've seen recently usually have a cage.
IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

In my opinion PA should start converting some of these to MRLS and start obtaining Stryker like or BMP type APCs. The blitzkrieg APC is a start, hopefully they can improve in it.

Back
Top Bottom