What's new

Pakistan And India-Water Disputes-News And Updates

Why are we so sensitive when it comes to Pakistan's water, an adversary, but not as sensitive when it comes to Bangladesh a friendly country?

Why has Pakistan done to deserve this special treatment?

Because you know you can screw Banglas to no end and they can't fight back. ;)

The indus treaty has not yet been violated , one of the few things we still have working with Pak , i do not think we should screw with it.

That's NOT saying much at all!

IWT has not been violated and still working because the onus of adhering to it lay entirely with India despite gravest of provocations by Pakistan, even after getting more than 3/4 of the waters!

Had Pakistan also had a few rivers that were coming India's way as part of the treaty, we would have known how well the treaty would have withstood the wars and state-sponsored terror attacks!

Interesting! May i ask what makes you such a supporter of this treaty from an Indian perspective when everybody else seems to in the mood of teaching us a lesson?

It is probably less to do with the treaty in particular (I don't speak for him, just my opinion) but with a general Indian unwillingness to do something that might target ordinary people primarily, water being the most potent, a sense of squeamishness exists to go down that route(odd, when you think that a lot of people wish for far worse to the other).

A second point is that India likes to be seen as following the law and additionally remains concerned about what signals that may send & what precedents that might be set. China is an important factor & though China recognises almost no rights of lower riparian states, no one wants to be accused of doing the same (though China still continues to build on the Brahmaputra but that is offset by the majority volume of water being generated within Indian territory).

A third point is to actually misconstrue what is meant by abrogating/withdrawing from the treaty. Quite a few assume that it automatically translates to not giving any water to Pakistan (thereby using water as weapon) which is far from the case & would certainly run counter to international rules. The IWT treaty is extremely generous to Pakistan and is pretty extraordinary in how it favours the lower riparian state. Any following of current international water sharing practices would leave Pakistan with a lot less but still, with a substantial portion of the waters.

In any case, I don't see anyone take this route of abrogating the treaty yet.

Indus water treaty is Pakistans life line - you disrupt that we fook you hard -

It is not Pakistanis we need credit from. It's the international community that needs to look at India as a moral upstanding country that does not renege on its treaties.

Countries withdraw from treaties all the time, granted there will be international concern but that alone cannot be the reason to not call for a new treaty.. As I said earlier, regardless of whether there is ever going to be any serious move towards that ( I don't think there will be), no harm in letting the cat among the pigeons, so to speak...

Or say, five days no water and on sixth day all the water.........to Pakistan??

You can't do anything. But the thing is even India won't do such cowardly act.
Why we will not do anything? - You think there is any alternative? - We cant let Pakistan become a desert -

dude, we need to maintain stable water relations for the next 100 years. Trying to put that on the block is just stupidity. Hit them in other ways.

And why is that? We gave them the treaty in 1960, during which time Pakistanis were happy not to poke nose in any Indian affair. After the deal was signed, see their response. With water safe in its kitty it proceeded to give war and proxy war upon India.
Ok. What do we get in return if we maintain stable water relations? Will they stop training Jihadis on their side of borders? Will they stop pushing in terrorists like in Pathankot? If its about Diplomacy, no country will do anything more than few negative words on Pakistan. Reason is, if its sanctioned, then its a even big problem to maintain.
Not but not the least. We have more water problems from Godaveri. Atleast we should divert all 3 rivers at our disposal.

Or say, five days no water and on sixth day all the water.........to Pakistan??

:lol: That actually is one thing India can do with the present capacity available. Release all the water & then start refilling them again. Since Pakistan has very little storage facilities available, they will lose most of the water released to the sea & then will face a squeeze while the water is being filled up.

Why are we so sensitive when it comes to Pakistan's water, an adversary, but not as sensitive when it comes to Bangladesh a friendly country?

Why has Pakistan done to deserve this special treatment?

My views on water to BD or Pakistan remain the same my friend...

I believe water should remain a non issue in politics. Of course Im not saying that we should provide water at the cost of our own population and nation, but water should be a universal resource.

Why we will not do anything? - You think there is any alternative? - We cant let Pakistan become a desert -
You can sit on your computer and bang head. But the truth is your country or India can't afford to go to war.
But even India will face lot of heat for such Act. From within and outside. somebody is watching.

Back
Top Bottom