What's new

Pakistan Among Top Performers in Sanitation; India Near Bottom

Except for Sindh everywhere else has brilliant sanitation. My father told me about his visit to Peshawar in 90s and how he was surprised at it's cleanliness, compared to Karachi which is just a huge landfill site in the name of a city.
Hopefully return of LG in Karachi from Sept 20 will make it better.

Everyone I know who has either visited India or has friends visit India they all tell me how polluted and dirty the country is. Just walking around your clothes get dirty due to the dust and pollution in the air and ground level. India's rivers and lakes are some of the most polluted in the world and those with no access to clean water attract diseases. A lot of Indians don't know whats in their water...

It's no wonder a few years ago US diplomats expressed their displeasure about working in India.

Diplomat calls Indian ethnic group 'dark', 'dirty' - NY Daily News

She tells it how it is

he he he he welcome back riaz uncle ji how is you doing sirji lookas like you will never understand the true power of india and will never stop hating india

View attachment 219856
Or, you know, you could just refute him if he's wrong. Attacking someone for stating facts is pretty hateful as well.

Hygiene is a par of our culture and religion .. Unlike india (where using bathrooms is still taboo- according to reports) .. In Pakistan you will not find a house without a bathroom.. Public bathrooms yes (but thankfully we sanitational facilities at markets,petrol stations etc).

But alot more work needs to be done .. Specially to improve water availability/storage .. In cities like Karachi (it's strange for people from outside karachi) to find out about Water tanker Mafia in Karachi ..

Hygiene is a par of our culture and religion .. Unlike india (where using bathrooms is still taboo- according to reports) .. In Pakistan you will not find a house without a bathroom.. Public bathrooms yes (but thankfully we sanitational facilities at markets,petrol stations etc).

But alot more work needs to be done .. Specially to improve water availability/storage .. In cities like Karachi (it's strange for people from outside karachi) to find out about Water tanker Mafia in Karachi ..

This is what i thought

For muslims hygiene is part of our culture praying maintaining wuzu/wudu

Indians being mostly hindu dont have the same hygiene standards

So ganges river is so polluted now, that india was seeking intl help, loans to clean waters.

atleast i know germany had offered 3million euros of assistance to india.

but india is more busy in sponsoring terrorism in Pakistan and indians are busy in teasing Pakistan of aid, whence their own issues....are.......

#India: inherently unhygienic? #Indian writer touches third rail Indians: inherently unhygienic? Indian writer touches third rail via @Reuters

My Indian friends and I joke around a lot about me as the typical white American guy visiting India. Cows! Con men! Colors! Most people I’ve met in India have restricted their reactions to my westerner-in-the-east experiences to gentle teasing. When I stuck a picture of a man urinating in public on my Facebook page, calling it one more picture of what you see everywhere you go in India, people weren’t as patient. What was I doing? Insulting the nation? Focusing on the ugly because it’s what all the westerners do when they visit India? Why does India provoke such visceral reactions in visitors?

Public urination, public defecation, dirt, garbage, filth, the poor living on the street — talking about these things, even acknowledging that they’re in front of your face, risks making your hosts unhappy, and possibly angry. It’s the third rail of India, and the voltage can be lethal. That’s why I was surprised when B.S. Raghavan decided to touch it with all 10 fingers.

Raghavan’s column in The Hindu Business Line newspaper begins with this headline: Are Indians by nature unhygienic?

Consider these excerpts:

From time to time, in their unguarded moments, highly placed persons in advanced industrial countries have burst out against Indians for being filthy and dirty in their ways of life. A majority of visitors to India from those countries complain of “Delhi belly” within a few hours of arrival, and some fall seriously ill.

There is no point in getting infuriated or defensive about this. The general lack of cleanliness and hygiene hits the eye wherever one goes in India — hotels, hospitals, households, work places, railway trains, airplanes and, yes, temples. Indians think nothing of spitting whenever they like and wherever they choose, and living in surroundings which they themselves make unliveable by their dirty habits. …

Open defecation has become so rooted in India that even when toilet facilities are provided, the spaces round temple complexes, temple tanks, beaches, parks, pavements, and indeed, any open area are covered with faecal matter. …

Even as Indians, we are forced to recoil with horror at the infinite tolerance of fellow Indians to pile-ups of garbage, overflowing sewage, open drains and generally foul-smelling environs.

There’s plenty more that you can read in that story, but I’ll direct you to the article. I’ll also ask you some questions:

Some people say you shouldn’t point out these problems, and that every country has problems. Do you agree with this statement? Why?
Does anyone disagree with Raghavan’s descriptions of these sights and smells?
Is this even a problem? Or should people get used to it?
Should visitors, especially ones from countries where people are generally wealthier, say nothing, and pretend that they don’t see unpleasant things?
As for me, I can say this: I got used to it, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t notice it. Indians notice it too. Otherwise, people wouldn’t suggest public shaming campaigns against people urinating in public, they wouldn’t threaten fines for doing it, and they wouldn’t respond with relief to plans to finally make sure that toilets on India’s trains don’t open directly onto the tracks. Of course, these are people in India. It’s a family, taking care of business the family way.

As for me, the message usually seems to be: “If you don’t love it, leave it.” It would be nice if there were some other answer. Acknowledging problems, even ones that are almost impossible to solve, makes them easier to confront.

#India: inherently unhygienic? #Indian writer touches third rail Indians: inherently unhygienic? Indian writer touches third rail via @Reuters

My Indian friends and I joke around a lot about me as the typical white American guy visiting India. Cows! Con men! Colors! Most people I’ve met in India have restricted their reactions to my westerner-in-the-east experiences to gentle teasing. When I stuck a picture of a man urinating in public on my Facebook page, calling it one more picture of what you see everywhere you go in India, people weren’t as patient. What was I doing? Insulting the nation? Focusing on the ugly because it’s what all the westerners do when they visit India? Why does India provoke such visceral reactions in visitors?

Public urination, public defecation, dirt, garbage, filth, the poor living on the street — talking about these things, even acknowledging that they’re in front of your face, risks making your hosts unhappy, and possibly angry. It’s the third rail of India, and the voltage can be lethal. That’s why I was surprised when B.S. Raghavan decided to touch it with all 10 fingers.

Raghavan’s column in The Hindu Business Line newspaper begins with this headline: Are Indians by nature unhygienic?

Consider these excerpts:

From time to time, in their unguarded moments, highly placed persons in advanced industrial countries have burst out against Indians for being filthy and dirty in their ways of life. A majority of visitors to India from those countries complain of “Delhi belly” within a few hours of arrival, and some fall seriously ill.

There is no point in getting infuriated or defensive about this. The general lack of cleanliness and hygiene hits the eye wherever one goes in India — hotels, hospitals, households, work places, railway trains, airplanes and, yes, temples. Indians think nothing of spitting whenever they like and wherever they choose, and living in surroundings which they themselves make unliveable by their dirty habits. …

Open defecation has become so rooted in India that even when toilet facilities are provided, the spaces round temple complexes, temple tanks, beaches, parks, pavements, and indeed, any open area are covered with faecal matter. …

Even as Indians, we are forced to recoil with horror at the infinite tolerance of fellow Indians to pile-ups of garbage, overflowing sewage, open drains and generally foul-smelling environs.

There’s plenty more that you can read in that story, but I’ll direct you to the article. I’ll also ask you some questions:

Some people say you shouldn’t point out these problems, and that every country has problems. Do you agree with this statement? Why?
Does anyone disagree with Raghavan’s descriptions of these sights and smells?
Is this even a problem? Or should people get used to it?
Should visitors, especially ones from countries where people are generally wealthier, say nothing, and pretend that they don’t see unpleasant things?
As for me, I can say this: I got used to it, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t notice it. Indians notice it too. Otherwise, people wouldn’t suggest public shaming campaigns against people urinating in public, they wouldn’t threaten fines for doing it, and they wouldn’t respond with relief to plans to finally make sure that toilets on India’s trains don’t open directly onto the tracks. Of course, these are people in India. It’s a family, taking care of business the family way.

As for me, the message usually seems to be: “If you don’t love it, leave it.” It would be nice if there were some other answer. Acknowledging problems, even ones that are almost impossible to solve, makes them easier to confront.
Water equity kya hoti hai?

@Riaz haq what is water equity and sanitation equity. Anyone can explain.

Diplomat nay unhain aisi harkatain kartay dekha ho ga

Country rates of change (progression or regression, percent per year) in equity of access to water were compared to the performance frontier (best-in-class performance) to generate a country value for performance in improving water equity. For the 2015 Index we used the gap in rural and urban coverage as our indicator of equity. Values for country performance in improving water equity were calculated for 129 countries. Figure 7 summarizes the values by country.

Country rates of change (progression or regression, percent per year) in equity of access to sanitation were compared to the performance frontier (best-in-class performance) to generate a country value for performance in improving sanitation equity. For the 2015 Index we used the gap in rural and urban coverage as our indicator of equity. Values for sanitation equity performance were calculated for 126 countries. Figure 16 summarizes the values.

Figure 17 shows all the rates of change used in defining the performance frontier for sanitation equity which is also shown. Points defining the performance frontier were: Niger (2007), Malawi (2008), India (2000), Paraguay (1999), South Africa (2008), Mexico (2002), Bosnia and Herzegovina (2001), Egypt (2006), Estonia (2011), and Estonia (2009). Figure 18 only shows the latest rates of change from each country.

Figure 16. Sanitation equity performance: component values by country

Last edited:
I am not surprised here .Indians have no concept of a sanitation and sense of hygiene .Just stand on a wagah border and smell the other side .

A lot of the posts from indian members on this forum are nothing more than open defecation, thats the standard they aspire to. Supa powa india build some toilets.

Back
Top Bottom