What's new

Pakistan Air Force Transport

Yesterday, saw a Il-78, Eeriye and C130 in formation over Faisal Masjid, Islamabad.
Man, the Il-78 is a beast. From where I was seeing, it could pack two Eeriyes inside.
But it was leaving smoke trails and first I thought that it is refuelling the C130 behind it.

We'll have to wait and see.

Lockheed Martin has a saying, "only a Herc can replace a Herc." There are quality, durability and reliability aspects of the C-130 that have kept it as the industry standard to this day. Even poor users (which would be tilted to Chinese platforms on cost) seek used C-130s.

Lockheed recently began rolling out LM-100J freighters, basically no-frills Super Hercules for the civilian and cost-sensitive market. I think LM is aiming to pick up legacy C-130B/E users such as Pakistan, South Africa, Czech Republic, Poland etc, with the LM-100J.

And if not the LM-100J, then Embraer has a pretty good case with the KC-390. It's powered by the same engines as the Airbus A320, and Embraer claimed that the KC-390 will have among the lowest lifecycle costs on the market. It can also double as an in-flight refueling tanker.
PAF planners will never spend their sparse budget on new transports. This is a 2nd hand market for PAF if they choose western.

PAF planners will never spend their sparse budget on new transports. This is a 2nd hand market for PAF if they choose western.
What about CN 235, they were brought brand new. Also PAF is getting some new transports soon but I don't know which one. I would not be surprised if they were Y 20s

Last edited:
What about CN 235, they were brought brand new. Also PAF is getting some new transports soon but I don't know which one. I would not be surprised if they were Y 20s

Pakistan Air Force already operates four CN235-220 aircraft.
To Replace C-130 Pakistan would surely go for Y-20 so you may get surprise or not.

STEPH14.JPG

Pakistan Air Force already operates four CN235-220 aircraft.
To Replace C-130 Pakistan would surely go for Y-20 so you may get surprise or not.
i can put my bet on Y-9 after all thats somewhat a better replacement for hercules

i can put my bet on Y-9 after all thats somewhat a better replacement for hercules

Lolx you're considering Y-9 better than Y-20?

it's like comparing F-7 with FA-18 Hornet. Y-9 is having Turboprop Engine with Max-take off capacity of 77,000kg whereas Y-20 is equipped Turbofan by having Thrust of 12 to 14k of Thrust. & can take 220,000 kg as Max,Take off weight.

So Y-20 Matches for future requirements of Pakistan. but Pakistan like Turboprop engine for savin money so who knows.

CN235 not in C130 class of transports

Y 20 is best why we always talk about cheap option and compromise on performace.

We need heavy lift helicopters for heavy machinery deployment, ammo, tropps in high mountains.

I believe by the time PAF will look to replace Hercules, there will be quite a few options. The around 20 tonnes payload category is getting saturated.
C-130 20-22 tons
Y-9 25 tons
KC- 390 19-23 tons
An-178 18 tons would have been a good option too but I frankly don't know what's the status after Crimean war. However, Turkey-Ukraine had some collaboration to work on a medium lifter based on the An-178. If it is still there than we will have another option from Turkey.
However, the Saudi-Ukrainian An-132 (around 9 tons load capacity) which is in the same category as CASA-295. Can form a good basis for AWACS and already has the EW version being worked out. We can get those from Saudis on deferred payment or installments. Plus platform commonality should drive down associated costs also.
NOTE: All non Chinese and non Russian planes do have the issues of American components though.

Last edited:
Paid OTE="Zohaib Advocate, post: 9307713, member: 183298"]I believe by the time PAF will look to replace Hercules, there will be quite a few options. The around 20 tonnes payload category is getting saturated.
C-130 20-22 tons
Y-9 25 tons
KC- 390 19-23 tons
An-178 18 tons would have been a good option too but I frankly don't know what's the status after Crimean war. However, Turkey-Ukraine had some collaboration to work on a medium lifter based on the An-178. If it is still there than we will have another option from Turkey.
However, the Saudi-Ukrainian An-132 (around 9 tons load capacity) which is in the same category as CASA-295. Can form a good basis for AWACS and already has the EW version being worked out. We can get those from Saudis on deferred payment or installments. Plus platform commonality should drive down associated costs also.
NOTE: All non Chinese and non Russian planes do have the issues of American components though.[/QUOTE]

Paf has too much investment in c130, t56 Engine, crew training, and now structural rebuild being a third world country air force it cannot afforded 120 million c130j s most probably will pick up additional used c130 s and rebuild to squeeze additional life

Paid OTE="Zohaib Advocate, post: 9307713, member: 183298"]I believe by the time PAF will look to replace Hercules, there will be quite a few options. The around 20 tonnes payload category is getting saturated.
C-130 20-22 tons
Y-9 25 tons
KC- 390 19-23 tons
NOTE: All non Chinese and non Russian planes do have the issues of American components though.

Paf has too much investment in c130, t56 Engine, crew training, and now structural rebuild being a third world country air force it cannot afforded 120 million c130j s most probably will pick up additional used c130 s and rebuild to squeeze additional life[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with you. This will infact be the primary option. All others will be secondary.
My point revolves around the hypothesis, "if we do see a revolution in PAF" but since we are not a revolutionary nation. Our institutions are also not revolutionary. So no other way but to bank on evolution.

Last edited:
Lolx you're considering Y-9 better than Y-20?

it's like comparing F-7 with FA-18 Hornet. Y-9 is having Turboprop Engine with Max-take off capacity of 77,000kg whereas Y-20 is equipped Turbofan by having Thrust of 12 to 14k of Thrust. & can take 220,000 kg as Max,Take off weight.

So Y-20 Matches for future requirements of Pakistan. but Pakistan like Turboprop engine for savin money so who knows.
answer my question . What are the exact requirements of PAF in terms of transport platform ?

Back
Top Bottom