What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

The SHOW STOPPERS of today's Airshow in #Islamabad.
Wing Commander Yasir Mudassar (JF-17)
Captain Erhan Günar (F-16, @soloturk) https://t.co/wZpUBQDWe0
View attachment 418466

I had the opportunity to meet the soloturk Pilots, when they noticed that I am Pakistani, they brought me next day an F-16 Solo Turk Patch, I did bring on the third day a Picture of a Jf-17 to him, I wanted to know, what he thinks of this jet, he just said it looks like a capable fighter jet ^^

Last edited:
@Windjammer , I wonder what that gentleman is doing now? Lost touch with him a long time back.
@Oscar , got the info on THE gent....man he is surely climbing the ladder.
He's ACAS Ops now... been told that it's a Highly sensitive and prized seat. Only the best 1 Star gets it. Did you know that previous to this he was Base Commander Minhas.....and you wouldn't believe who is now running the show at Shahbaz.....

@Oscar , got the info on THE gent....man he is surely climbing the ladder.
He's ACAS Ops now... been told that it's a Highly sensitive and prized seat. Only the best 1 Star gets it. Did you know that previous to this he was Base Commander Minhas.....and you wouldn't believe who is now running the show at Shahbaz.....
He has been climbing, that initial T&E job was the impetus

APP23-15Islamabad.jpeg

Air Vice Marshal Hamid Rashid Randhawa was commissioned in GD (P) Branch of Pakistan Air Force in June, 1988. He is a qualified flying instructor. During his illustrious career, he has commanded a Flying Squadron, a Flying Wing and an Operational Air Base.

In his staff appointments he has served as assistant chief of the air
staff (Safety) and personal staff officer to chief of the air staff at the Air Headquarters.

He is a graduate of Combat Commanders’ School and National Defence University. He holds Master’s degree in War Studies.

He is recipient of Sitara-i-Imtiaz (Military) and Tamgha-i-Imtiaz
(Military).

Air Vice Marshal Nasser ul Haq Wyne was commissioned in GD (P) Branch
of Pakistan Air Force in June, 1988.
He is a qualified flying instructor. During his illustrious career, he has commanded Flying Instructors’ School, a Flying Squadron, a Flying Wing and an Operational Air Base.

In his staff appointments he has served as secretary to chief of the air
staff at Air Headquarters.
He has also served as air Attache to China. He is a graduate of Combat
Commanders’ School, Air War College and National Defence University. He holds Master’s degrees in Strategic Studies and War Studies and Defence Management.

(Military).

These are not weaknesses rather features of a light weight fighter.
The second point is funny as though engine failure is not fatal in heavy aircraft?

Sir light weight design has following weakness ..

Short range
Engine failure could be fatal
Less no of weapon stations and less weight carrying capability
Less number of internal subsystems can be incorporated within airframe in comparison to medium and heavy weight ...

So sir keight weight has its advantages as well as disadvantages ..

These are not weaknesses rather features of a light weight fighter.
The second point is funny as though engine failure is not fatal in heavy aircraft?
Well let me re-word weakness with limitations ...

Regarding second point ,,, engine problems do occur in twin engine as well but in a lot of cases if there is one engine failure then second engine can help aircraft to land ... for example few days back there was a critical engine failure in hornet flown from US aircraft carrier but aircraft somehow managed to land at Oman air port with the help of single engine ... Such type of failures are fatal in single engine .. just like unfortunate incident in which we lost one of our thunder in the arabian sea

View attachment 418696
Air Vice Marshal Hamid Rashid Randhawa was commissioned in GD (P) Branch of Pakistan Air Force in June, 1988. He is a qualified flying instructor. During his illustrious career, he has commanded a Flying Squadron, a Flying Wing and an Operational Air Base.

In his staff appointments he has served as assistant chief of the air
staff (Safety) and personal staff officer to chief of the air staff at the Air Headquarters.

He is a graduate of Combat Commanders’ School and National Defence University. He holds Master’s degree in War Studies.

(Military).

Air Vice Marshal Nasser ul Haq Wyne was commissioned in GD (P) Branch
of Pakistan Air Force in June, 1988.
He is a qualified flying instructor. During his illustrious career, he has commanded Flying Instructors’ School, a Flying Squadron, a Flying Wing and an Operational Air Base.

In his staff appointments he has served as secretary to chief of the air
staff at Air Headquarters.
He has also served as air Attache to China. He is a graduate of Combat
Commanders’ School, Air War College and National Defence University. He holds Master’s degrees in Strategic Studies and War Studies and Defence Management.

(Military).

Allen last book shows one of them leading /Oc no 25 sqn back in 2004-5

Last edited:
@khanasifm @Hodor A selam Brothers,

Is it possible to arm the F-7PG Fleet with a Chinese BVR Missile? And would it bring any tactical advantages?

I had the discussion with a German Eurofighter Pilots and asked him, about dog fights and BVR combat he short replied: " If a Pilot is in the range of dogfight, or his aircraft is not capable of BVR, then something must have been gone wrong in the past"!

I understood as: In this times a modern aircraft must be BVR capable- Dogfight is the second stage in the air to air combat, first, the enemy must/should be shot down through a BVR kill!

So our Mirage fleet and neither the F-7PG are BVR capable!

The fighter Pilots were participating in the ILA 2016 in Berlin! If everything will go fine I will meet this Pilots every year, because they stay in my Hotel :-) Next time I will show them also a picture of the Jf-17 Thunder and analyze their reactions!

Last edited:

Is it possible to arm the F-7PG Fleet with a Chinese BVR Missile? And would it bring any tactical advantages?

I had the discussion with a German Eurofighter Pilots and asked him, about dog fights and BVR combat he short replied: " If a Pilot is in the range of dogfight, or his aircraft is not capable of BVR, then something must have been gone wrong in the past"!

I understood as: In this times a modern aircraft must be BVR capable- Dogfight is the second stage in the air to air combat, first, the enemy must/should be shot down through a BVR kill!

The fighter Pilots were participating in the ILA 2016 in Berlin! If everything will go fine I will meet this Pilots every year, because they stay in my Hotel :-) Next time I will show them also a picture of the Jf-17 Thunder and analyze their reactions!

Too late both a/c need replacement not upgrades especially f7s p and pg with 24-2800 hours total life paf flying them w/o Oem support, to extend life beyond the speculated life per paf history book PAC used experienced gained on ft-5 life extension and came up with package for f7 and last of a5s, mirage is different story as Oem still supporting And PAC has lots of experience but spares is a problem or will be some time in future I guess retired ac will be used as spares once it happens

Best thing is to get fast jf production but I think it's financial not just technical issue, 16 per year ie one sqn per year for now so 3 pg plus 6 mirages sqn ( not counting 2017), guess what's the time is needed, till then paf keep flying them

I think paf will be happy to get another blk 52 sqn and /or used batch to convert another older sqn totalling 5/6 f16 sqn

Lastly I think mix of bvr capability (f16 jf) and non bvr (mirage, pg) will go hand in hand to respond to say incursion , violation etc if you check bvr followed by merge will happen unless you take shots and are 100% lucky and get all at bvr, based on historical data 50/50 or less chances but data from early 2000 and technology has improved so who knows

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

W SALAM,I can share a lot of information on this topic but its classified so all i can say is:
F7s fight with Vipers and try to force them to come into WVR and thus learn how to handle the situation...hope u got my point.
Strategy is all that matters..

W SALAM,I can share a lot of information on this topic but its classified so all i can say is:
F7s fight with Vipers and try to force them to come into WVR and thus learn how to handle the situation...hope u got my point.

Not everything about it is classified beyond specific roles and tactics used.
The idea of fighting with BVR fighters and forcing WVR is as old as ACEVAL and AIMVAL, techniques include using Ambush CAP setups, hiding in ground clutter etc

A common practice is to keep changing parameters for BVR missiles; BVR systems depends on target aspect, speed and height which makes the "range" of a BVr system a pretty fluid number- a target coming head on(and mainting its aspect) may be engaged at 50km while one running away will barely make 10km.

So a well trained pilot can confound a BVR shot by constantly changing aspect, speed and height via intelligent energy management and can close to WVR range- that is what our pilots trained to do for almost twenty years prior to BVR coming to PAF(in proper numbers anyway)

Sir can i ask what special f7 can do when it carries only two wvr missiles and have drop tanks ? I mean against heavy fighters how much this machine can survive bcz although its true that its not the single fighter jet which took part in interception but still at the end of the day u can only use only use those weapons which u have in yur own bucket ?

Air Platforms

Chinese SEAD-equipped J-10B emerges at Aviadarts contest
1709021_-_main.jpeg

Richard D Fisher Jr - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly

16 August 2017

A SEAD-mission-equipped J-10B fighter emerged for the first time at a display concluding the 2017 Aviadarts international aerial competition at Changchun Airbase in Jilin province. Source: Via Dingsheng web page

China has used the recent ‘Aviadarts’ international aerial competition to reveal for the first time that its Chengdu Aircraft Corporation (CAC) J-10B can be equipped to perform suppression of enemy air defences (SEAD) missions, adding to the number of People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) combat aircraft able to perform this mission.

Images of the SEAD-equipped J-10B first appeared on Chinese web pages on 10 August as part of a ground display at Changchun Airbase in Jilin Province, occurring at the end of the Aviadarts competition, part of the larger 2017 International Army Games held from 29 July to 12 August.

For the SEAD mission the J-10B was revealed to carry two Hongdu Aviation Industries YJ-91 anti-radiation missiles (ARMs). The YJ-91 was developed from the Russian Tactical Missile CorporationKh-31 family of ramjet-powered ARM and anti-ship missiles that were first seen in China in the early 2000s. The YJ-91 reportedly requires a separate guidance system pod, which was seen mounted on a fuselage pylon of the J-10B.

As early as 2009 indications emerged that the YJ-91 also could equip the earlier J-10A. However, this version has not been seen with the Southwest Institute of Electronics Equipment (SWIEE) K/RKL007A electronic support measures/electronic countermeasures (ESM/ECM) pod seen under the J-10B. This pod possibly enables or enhances the J-10B’s ability to autonomously attack electronic targets.

Back
Top Bottom