Pakistan
Pak-WI game washed out; WI through to semis
By Web Desk
Published: April 1, 2014

Share this article
Print this page
Email

689938-rainpakistan-1396347261-747-640x480.jpg

Torrential rain washed out the match between Pakistan and West Indies. PHOTO: AFP

MIRPUR: A torrential downpour has lashed Mirpur on Tuesday, all but washing out the
semi-final decider between the West Indies and Pakistan that was scheduled for today evening. A higher net run rate means that West Indies will go through to the semi-finals.

The two teams finished equal on points in the group dubbed the “group of death” but West Indies came into the encounter with a net run rate of +1.223, while Pakistan were close behind at +0.893.

The West Indies will now move on to face Sri Lanka in the first semi-final scheduled to be held on the 4th. However, there has been some controversy following the match. Organisers have made arrangement for a roof for that match – which has immediately raised eyebrows.

“Something isn’t right,” a dejected Pakistan skipper Muhammad Hafeez said as he spoke to reporters.

Pakistani supporters expressed disappointment. “We flew across India to see the Pakistan team,” said a visibly aggrieved Seema Butt.

The Pakistani team were also upset, but seemed to take the outcome in stride. “Marlon Samuels is the best spinner in the world, and perhaps they deserved to go through,” said Pakistani off-spinner Saeed Ajmal.

Fast bowler Umar Gul added, “I wasn’t looking forward to the prospect of bowling to Dinesh Ramdin. He can hit it a mile.”

The West Indies cricket team expressed similar relief. “We all love Shahid Afridi,” skipper Darren Sammy said. “We would have been very sad if he had to play against him. Still, I’m glad we’re going through.”

A contingent of Pakistani supporters decided to stage a candle vigil during the match time instead. However, because of the unceasing rain, it will be held indoors. In contrast, Indian supporters were dancing in the inundated streets.

“The last time Pakistan was affected by rain in a world cup match (1992), Imran Khan was captain, and it actually helped us go through. The government should have requested a venue change. I fail to understand why that didn’t happen,” said a senior member of the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf.

Pak-WI game washed out; WI through to semis – The Express Tribune

i liked this response in comments
What utter non-sense. Just to increase hits on your website. You call this journalism. Shame on u. PATHETIC

before opening this page..i knew it is April Fool..:partay::partay::lol::lol:

Not this much, my brothers and there friends are watching match live at the stadium; that too in Heavy Rain! :D

Oh yes, I just switched on my TV set & got drenched in the rain :woot: :lol:...

Back
Top Bottom