What's new

Pak - Ind cricket rivalry of the 90's

those were the days, when a Indo-Pak match was literally war!

Actually in a way, we miss the agression of 1990's india-pak cricket matches... There would be dialogues, javed miandad funny gestures on indians, sachin's special especially for pakistan, once venkatesh prasad told a pak batsmen, u will get out next ball from me, and he was bowled,.. I forgot the name of batsman, i was small then...
In chennai wasim akram got a standing ovation from the crowds after pak won a thriller..

Actually in a way, we miss the agression of 1990's india-pak cricket matches... There would be dialogues, javed miandad funny gestures on indians, sachin's special especially for pakistan, once venkatesh prasad told a pak batsmen, u will get out next ball from me, and he was bowled,.. I forgot the name of batsman, i was small then...
In chennai wasim akram got a standing ovation from the crowds after pak won a thriller..

Amir Sohail.

As a kid I started watching India Pakistan Test cricket at a neighbor's house on their black and white TV. Whole day I would watch. Every ball. And come back home only in the evening after the last ball of the day had been bowled.

And today we have IPL ....

Salim Malik.

As a kid I started watching India Pakistan Test cricket at a neighbor's house on their black and white TV.

And today we have IPL ....

Sometimes IPL is ugly.. I didnt like Mumbai players at all... I duno what Munaf is thinking, always showing gestures and arguimg with everyone... Even Steyn(best fast bowler) doesnt too much scene... Then there was Ambati rayadu who wantedly provoked Harshal patel.. Kieren pollard, harbhajan singh and the list goes on...
They are doing for audience..

there are more commandos in our dressing rooms than the players!!:lol:

Sometimes IPL is ugly.. I didnt like Mumbai players at all... I duno what Munaf is thinking, always showing gestures and arguimg with everyone... Even Steyn(best fast bowler) doesnt too much scene... Then there was Ambati rayadu who wantedly provoked Harshal patel.. Kieren pollard, harbhajan singh and the list goes on...
They are doing for audience..

IPL is not ugly. That is being mean to ugly people.

IPL is a putrid abomination that has infected cricket.

I somehow never got the concept of team based leagues - in any sport. With the exception of wheeled sports (F1, Moto GP, WSBK, WRC, Dakar, and Tour de France)

I do not get turned on by big league football either. But come World Cup time, and I am a fanatic whose whole life and diurnal cycle changes around the match schedule.

What is IPL man? Disgusting!

Cricket back in the 1990s brings back fantastic memories for me. Great rivalry between the 2 nations.
India had some quality players in the 90s - Kapil Dev seeing the twilight of his career and then they had the likes of Shastri , Sachin, Azharhuddin and of course who can forget Anil Kumble creating cricket history in taking 10 wickets in an innings!!

My team undoubtedly underperformed and surely should have taken over the gauntlet from the West Indians as number one but could never be consistent enough. Imran and Javed helped earlier on in the 90s helped with Inzys big hitting won the WC in 1992.
With Waqar Wasim and Mushy they should have blown away teams as they had a fantastic attack....Great memories of the reverse swinging toe smacking yorkers!!

Too much of a casual attitude all around. Bottom slapping, hugging, laughing, hands around shoulders, etc. between rival nation teams on and off the field.

No one wants to see them coming to blows either, but there is a lot to be said about sporting aloofness that keps the needle alive on the field.

This is not paara cricket!

Who can forget the Venki Prasad - Aamir Sohail encounter in '96 quarterfinal ?

My team undoubtedly underperformed and surely should have taken over the gauntlet from the West Indians as number one but could never be consistent enough. Imran and Javed helped earlier on in the 90s helped with Inzys big hitting won the WC in 1992.
With Waqar Wasim and Mushy they should have blown away teams as they had a fantastic attack....Great memories of the reverse swinging toe smacking yorkers!!

Agreed, Pakistan had the talent to dominate the 90s like the Windies of the 70-80s or Aussies of 2000s. They definitely underperformed. Match fixing was one of the reasons I think. When a superstar like Wasim Akram was found guilty what do you expect from the lesser players.

Agreed, Pakistan had the talent to dominate the 90s like the Windies of the 70-80s or Aussies of 2000s. They definitely underperformed. Match fixing was one of the reasons I think. When a superstar like Wasim Akram was found guilty what do you expect from the lesser players.

Agree - that was one of the reasons. Along with personal aims being greater than the teams achievements. Shame really as Wasim will always have the shadow overhanging him. Although it was never proven i am sure others were involved too. You cant swing a ball like a boomerang one day and take 6 wickets one day and the next get smacked for 0 for 100.
Looking back one will always think "if only" and "who was on the fiddle".

Why come down so hard on the IPL? There is no point comparing the T20 format of cricket with ODI / test. You cannot expect the same emotions, same passion or the same hysteria from the ipl t20 version that international clashes in other formats can create.

Let's take it for what it is - entertainment loaded, glitzy, cricketing fiesta - and let’s enjoy it. Purists don't buy the IPL concept as a legitimate version of cricket. Well that's the funny thing - it was never sold as cricket - its cricketainment at its best!!

To put it in a different way - it’s like comparing wrought beer with red wine. You are no less a connoisseur if you enjoy the occasional beer with a few friends and vice a versa.

Back
Top Bottom