What's new

PAK-FA Pictures and Videos

03a3020d4d4df77c5f59f503f5b47bf7.jpg

But from his point of view the blades of turbo fan is totally unseen from front view,see the red angles he draws in this picture..

That looks like fan art, imo the pak-fa still has a long ways to go in terms of design.

That looks like fan art, imo the pak-fa still has a long ways to go in terms of design.

You are absolutely right :tup:...All these fan boy stuffs remembering me my lower primary class mate who used to tell us wonderful stories of new released movies after watching few of it's posters :rofl:

:eek: Man, if these pics are real and it seems like that, it makes Pak Fa far less than a 5. gen fighter, because this direct view to the engine makes if far more detectable and not stealthy at all! Even 4.5 fighters like EF and Rafale has ducted air intakes and this hardly makes Pak Fa comparable to F15 SE, 4.75 gen if you want. Means internal weapon bays, some stealthy re-designs, but it can't be counted as a real stealth fighter!

intakes0.jpg

But from his point of view the blades of turbo fan is totally unseen from front view,see the red angles he drawn in this picture..
I just noticed that the position of the folded landing gear in this graphic is wrong! They are nearly horizontal, but in reality they are vertical besides the air intake if folded:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/656017-post23.html

:eek: Man, if these pics are real and it seems like that, it makes Pak Fa far less than a 5. gen fighter, because this direct view to the engine makes if far more detectable and not stealthy at all! Even 4.5 fighters like EF and Rafale has ducted air intakes and this hardly makes Pak Fa comparable to F15 SE, 4.75 gen if you want. Means internal weapon bays, some stealthy re-designs, but it can't be counted as a real stealth fighter!

The pak-fa has far more stealth charicteristics than any of the aircraft you mentioned and the next pak-fa prototype will have a different intake set up according to Sukhoi insiders on a Russian forum, those same insiders have been dead on the money in the past, everything from the concept pictures, to the slidding canopy was correct.

Last edited:
Those are not Engine Compressor Blades or Air intake Blades whatever they are termed.

Reason being
1- Fan blades aren't welded to the insides of the intake walls.
2- The engine is located partially above the line of view of the inlets, so how can these blades be located towards the lower part of the inlet and be fully visible.
If engine as such are S-shaped its a different matter.
3- I believe engine is not directly aligned to the inlet so these blades can not be directly aligned

People in BR forum are contemplating it as RADAR BLOCKER
Same like F18E approach

26500333_nRjJ6-M.jpg

Others are saying it as-Inlet Guide Vane (IGV)
IGV are used to straighten out the swirling airflow to feed the subsequent stage. There are pivot points for each vane at the point where it meets the casing.
Even the Kaveri uses fixed and variable IGVs.

1c3aad2f32f628a9aa940d474947618a.jpg

The pak-fa has far more stealth charicteristics than any of the aircraft you mentioned and the next pak-fa prototype will have a different intake set up according to Sukhoi insiders on a Russian forum, those same insiders have been dead on the money in the past, everything from the concept pictures, to the slidding canopy was correct.
I really hope that there will be some difference, but without a ducted air intake, there is no point in calling it a stealth fighter, just compare the Rafale air intake for example:

daa565812f93872822415d5f82648f2d.gif

People in BR forum are contemplating it as RADAR BLOCKER
Same like F18E approach

52498e957121ed244f2def93c3ff61c0.jpg

What you see there is the GE 414 engine fan of the F18SH, the air intakes was re-designed, because the new engine needed bigger once. They sloped the outside of the air intake and used radar blocker materials in the inside to reduce RCS, or reflection, but it's just a re-design with that aim, not a new design with low RCS as an aim from the beginning.

Check this diagram:

GE - Aviation: F414

Even the Kaveri uses fixed and variable IGVs.

1c3aad2f32f628a9aa940d474947618a.jpg
But Kaveri engine was aimed for LCA, which has a y-duct to hide the engine if I'm not wrong, so it doesn't matter to much.
The point here is, that there seems to be no duct at all, which makes the engine blades, or any other part of the fan detactable and that increases the RCS.

Attachments

• 52498e957121ed244f2def93c3ff61c0.jpg
    52498e957121ed244f2def93c3ff61c0.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 9
I really hope that there will be some difference, but without a ducted air intake, there is no point in calling it a stealth fighter, just compare the Rafale air intake for example:

Someone on another forum pulled this picture up:

http://img441.imageshack.us/i/radarblocker.jpg/

What you see is the intakes of the stealth X-32, note that those are not compressor blades but radar blockers. Those rdar blockers are angled in a way that the radar waves don't send a return. In any case the intakes on the pak-fa are to be redesign, according to reliable sources.

Now take another look at the X-32, remember this was an American stealth aircraft.

http://img30.imageshack.us/i/x32174.jpg/

Comment by expert

The new front pic is controversial as it shows what appears to me to be a radar blocker much like Super-Hornet or F-32 design (loser in JSF contest). Some people think it's actually the fan blades, which it may be, but they look in the wrong place to me. I guess some people want it to be a radar blocker, and some want it to be a naked compressor face (ie poorer stealth). People rarely change their mind on these things, sadly.

Someone on another forum pulled this picture up:

What you see is the intakes of the stealth X-32, note that those are not compressor blades but radar blockers. Those rdar blockers are angled in a way that the radar waves don't send a return. In any case the intakes on the pak-fa are to be redesign, according to reliable sources.

Now take another look at the X-32, remember this was an American stealth aircraft.

I searched the net yesterday too and saw these pics, but as you know it lost against the X 32, which has y-duct.
Boeing seems to prefer this radar blocker way, just as the F15 SE should have it too, but do you think it would reduce the RCS as effective as a ducted intake? I have some doubts about it. :confused:

Russian's have always done things which are Affordable/Economical/Robust/Different rather than being extremely sophisticated and stealthy

May be they are trying this as -
mixture of RADAR BLOCKER+ONLY SLIGHTLY ANGLED/CURVED DUCTS
may be ONLY RADAR BLOCKER+RAM COATINGS
may be S-shaped ducts+Radar blocker

only time will Tell .

Leaders not impressed by new Russian fighter - Air Force News, news from Iraq - Air Force Times

Leaders not impressed by new Russian fighter

By Bruce Rolfsen - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Mar 22, 2010 19:53:27 EDT

The flying debut of Russia’s answer to the F-22 Raptor isn’t wowing Air Force leaders.

Dubbed the T-50 or PAK-FA, the fifth-generation stealth fighter jet made its maiden flight Jan. 29 — 47 minutes over eastern Russia — and has flown at least twice since then. The twin-engine jet will replace the MiG-29 Fulcrum and Su-27 Flanker, both fourth-generation front-line fighters.

The first operational T-50s should be delivered in 2015, the same year the Air Force expects its first F-35 Lightning II. Also a fifth-generation fighter, the F-35 has a single supersonic engine and stealth capabilities.

“I didn’t see anything … that would cause me to rethink plans for the F-22 or F-35,” Air Force Secretary Michael Donley told reporters Feb. 18 at the Air Force Association’s winter conference, held in Orlando, Fla.

“Russia has a robust [aircraft industry],” Donley added. “This is not a surprise in that context.”

The PAK-FA resembles the F-22 — distinctive tilted rear tail fins and all — and has many of the same high-tech features, including digital avionics, a phased-array radar and communications equipment to link the fighter to command and control centers, according to the Russian news agency Tass.

The Air Force ordered the last of its 187 F-22s in 2009. Russia has not had a new fighter in nearly 20 years; the Indian air force is also sponsoring development of a version of the T-50.

“It looks like a plane we’ve seen before,” Gen. Roger Brady, the air boss for NATO and commander of U.S. Air Forces in Europe, said at the conference.

Gen. Gary North, commander of Pacific Air Forces, made clear his impression of the fighter: “I guess the greatest flattery is how much they copy you.”

Still, the four-stars wonder whether the T-50 will live up to its fifth-generation billing.

“I don’t know if it’s really a fifth-generation aircraft,” Brady said. “What I do know is that it’s very clear that they’re working on a fifth-generation technology.”

For Brady, Russia’s push on the development front signals that the U.S. cannot settle for the status quo.

“The key is, we must continue to do fifth-generation and sixth-generation research and put money against it because other people clearly are,” Brady said.

North added that the Pentagon must ensure fourth-generation jets such as the F-15, F-16 and F/A-18 are continually upgraded.

“If we’re not going to buy more, what we’ve got to have is the very best that our sons and daughters go out to fight with,” he said.

In tandem with the T-50 project, Russia is developing a long-range bomber.

“We won’t limit ourselves to just one new model,” Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said March 1. “We must start work on a prospective long-range aircraft, our new strategic bomber.”

Everyone needs to calm down now. Russian engineers working on this are the best in whole of asia and europe. They know all about ducted intakes and s curve and stealth. They certainly know more than us so if they chose this model, then there has to be something unique about it.

As it is this is not the last prototype. And the engines are definitely not the final ones. So we will only be able to tell once the final engines are fit.

This aircraft is gonna be stealth no matter what we feel. So lets wait and enjoy the pics.

Back
Top Bottom