What's new

PAF Took 6 minutes to respond to IAF airspace violation last year

Hi,

India don't have kill switches---the aircraft has supposedly embeded in it.

No India won't have it in any case but US will. The best bet would be if US share some sort of information in case of Indo-Pak crisis.

I don't believe they would install any kill switches to prevent them from being used against India - no point selling weapon systems that can't be used in war at all. But against the US itself...

Kill switch is for the machine and US will be having its command. They might share some information with India in the event of Indo-Pak crisis if they think it is in their benefit.

No India won't have it in any case but US will. The best bet would be if US share some sort of information in case of Indo-Pak crisis.

France did something like that to Argentina during the falkland war, essentially making their exocet missiles not work against British ships. But I doubt if India is as important to the US as Britain is to France. I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed about such a possibility.

What is a startup code, and why is it generated by US mil attache?

As for kill switches, isn't it possible that they have some mechanism to prevent the aircrafts they sell from firing on aircrafts they own and operate? As in, in a hypothetical shooting war between PAF and USAF or USN, the missiles or radars won't lock on?

I don't believe they would install any kill switches to prevent them from being used against India - no point selling weapon systems that can't be used in war at all. But against the US itself...

We bought F-16s or programmable smartphones :o:

F-16s have lots of programmable elements in them too. Much more so than smartphones.;)
Yeah but I don't think so if there is any Kill Switch it would be that much flexible. Probably it will have something to do with opponents jet carrying some device to get it free pass. :undecided:

France did something like that to Argentina during the falkland war, essentially making their exocet missiles not work against British ships. But I doubt if India is as important to the US as Britain is to France. I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed about such a possibility.

Yes, thats why I said that if they think its in their benefit then they might share it with the India or any other concerned country.

What is a startup code, and why is it generated by US mil attache?

As for kill switches, isn't it possible that they have some mechanism to prevent the aircrafts they sell from firing on aircrafts they own and operate? As in, in a hypothetical shooting war between PAF and USAF or USN, the missiles or radars won't lock on?

Its basically a code for the Data entry cartridge that brings with it the Mission profile. They usually include the day's radio hop seq and freq..and may or may not include IFF data, and so on.

The only possible place where the US can embed a code to prevent lock on is via IFF. IFF can be locked into on mode and the electronics on the F-16s will not lock onto friendly fighters so long range radar shots are out of the question. However, Plain visual IR engagements will still be possible.

And no, there is no chance of the "Kill switch" ending up with India as the F-16s are part of the US policy to prevent a walkover for the IAF and ensure that the Pakistani establishment is not tempted to deploy tac nukes before the US intervenes.

Sir,

It would be really really stupid of anyone from the other side not to believe in it---first of all----.

Secondly---the reaction times are not the same every time---depending on the threat level---sometimes there is leeway given to the enemy---some times not----ie---sometimes it is quicker---sometimes it is slower.

It is done to keep the enemy guessing as to what the actual will be.

In a mad scenario---lahore is possible---but not karachi.

Actually it is not a matter of escaping---what they do is shepherd it out of their air space---tell them---go home.

Remember the rumour about the kill switches on the F16 blk 52's. Yeah all of the Blk52's have flown across and come back just to check there were no kill switches.

I havent seen any long incursion news of PAF into Indian space, so pardon me if I am stupid enough to not assume anything out of thin air.

Six minutes is a long while for a fighter jet.

kill switches get activated based on geography?? and all F16's have flown in Indian airspace? lol, sir - kuch zyaada hi bol bachan ho gaya.

I havent seen any long incursion news of PAF into Indian space, so pardon me if I am stupid enough to not assume anything out of thin air.

Six minutes is a long while for a fighter jet.

Hi,

You will never hear that news in india because it will not be released first of all. It will be censored.

The comment about the Blk52's and kill switches was sarcastic---directed towards pakistanis who have theories running a muck about those little gizmos.

For a soft touch down back to mother earth, do take a look at number of air violations by each air force and then use the use the gutsy word for the deserving.

Gutsy Indians flying into airspace of Pakistan they are testing you people all the time.

All part of training and assessing how to strike and where to strike if the need arises in the future. The news suggests Indian ar force where in pak airspace for several minuteswhich should be a concern.

I am not completely aware of the protocols involved but common sense dictates that response should not be triggered after the violation has taken place. The response should be triggered such a way that violations do not occur. In simple words, if Pakistan knew it would take 2 mins for them to prepare for take-off they should trigger this event 2 min (plus time from air base to border) before IAF (or other intruder) reaches pak border so that they can welcome intruder at the border, not inside their territory. Downside is PAF is going to have lot more false positives and there needs to be good RADAR coverage will beyond their own border

I am not completely aware of the protocols involved but common sense dictates that response should not be triggered after the violation has taken place. The response should be triggered such a way that violations do not occur. In simple words, if Pakistan knew it would take 2 mins for them to prepare for take-off they should trigger this event 2 min (plus time from air base to border) before IAF (or other intruder) reaches pak border so that they can welcome intruder at the border, not inside their territory. Downside is PAF is going to have lot more false positives and there needs to be good RADAR coverage will beyond their own border
6 minutes is normal time for QRA.ADA is not what it was. In peace time every air force maintains QRA Flights round the clock, number of flights and jets depending on threats you may encounter, area etc. For example French maintain a pair of 2000s, a pair of Rafales and even a chipper for slow flying small planes. QRA jets are fueled armed ready to go. When threat is detected and interception is imminent, with the sounding of the alarm, pilot has to get ready checking his life support and communication systems before rushing toward the aircraft and then plane is started and all flight surfaces and systems are checked as procedures dictate, then you take it to the runway and take off.
Sure it's for peace time when you may not be expecting something.Being already on alert is another story.

if it were war-time, the indian planes would not have left in one piece, the pilots would either be killed or be returned as former POWs..

everyone knows that the pilots were painted and that the PAF was ready to shoot them down, but pilots ordered to let them leave - as they were pretty much about to re-enter into their own air space

Back
Top Bottom