What's new

PAF Saab 2000 Erieye AEW&C damaged during attack at Minhas repairable : MOD

@Jango J019 is still being used as a transport aircraft which means they repaired the nosecone and additional damages of that Saab itself

@Jango J019 is still being used as a transport aircraft which means they repaired the nosecone and additional damages of that Saab itself

Yeah, I checked about that today.

So this means that the one which was destroyed was indeed repaired fully.

Ummmm.....aaaannnnddd???

I personally didn't think PAF would disclose what they were doing to the damaged ERIYE, it was common knowledge in informed circles that the airframe was going to be repaired and/or radar fitted to J019....but PAF has no come out with it in a NA defence committee....so, kudos to all involved.

UMMM AND.....you were denying it the whole time, including three posts up. And this wasn't common knowledge, this was done in ultimate secrecy as there were serious fears that if Swedes find out that the PAF is rebuilding their tech, they might trigger GPS based instructions to deactivate other critical components. There were a total of 14 people on it and this work was done is a very "hidden" location in KPK. I can go on and on but not worth it. So yea, it was not public information. The only public information people had was when they said they were negotiating with Swedes in finding out options.

I don't know what is being done today. But I know about 3 months ago, there was an idea presented that instead of putting it back on Saab, put it on a CN or Shanxi platform as there is more room in those. So again, don't take my word for it as I am not up to date on this specific thing as of today, but they might be trying a bigger platform. At the end of the day, this thing was built from scratch, and the housing and all would be done to the plane anyway, including installing servers, data links, satellite communication and all on the test plane. So if you are doing everything from scratch, it makes sense to do it on a bigger platform with more endurance and room!

Actually, there is news. Today, the PAF engineers are retrofitting the damaged (NOW FIXED) Radar onto a Saab platform. The Radar was salvaged and the PAF engineers, with remote technical limited support (documents, diagrams, parts ordered, etc), were able to restore the Radar. It took them many months, but the beauty is, now these guys know how this radar was designed and its complexities all the way, including the basic transistors, frequencies and motherboards, etc. Now they can probably get all the parts from the international market, or China and build a Saab like Radar internally :tup:

From what I know, they've tested it for a week or so on the ground, and are now mounting it onto a plane for flight testing to begin. Obviously, I don't know and can't say if it works the way it was supposed to. But it makes no sense to restore such an expensive piece of equipment if it doesn't work. It's cost a good $ 10 million to do so even with the local labor. It was supposed to cost around $ 40-50 million. Good work PAF :tup: :enjoy: :cheers:

@Horus @MastanKhan @Oscar @Windjammer : can you guys see if you can get some pictures from your sources? It would be great to see those...

Don't you think that the Radar might contain proprietary Electronics?
If it has a single microcontroller with protected memory, it will be MUCH, MUCH difficult.
If it contains any ASICs , you cannot buy them on the open market.
Some parts might be obsolete and impossible to buy.

Not neccessarily an easy task...

UMMM AND.....you were denying it the whole time, including three posts up. And this wasn't common knowledge, this was done in ultimate secrecy as there were serious fears that if Swedes find out that the PAF is rebuilding their tech, they might trigger GPS based instructions to deactivate other critical components. There were a total of 14 people on it and this work was done is a very "hidden" location in KPK. I can go on and on but not worth it. So yea, it was not public information. The only public information people had was when they said they were negotiating with Swedes in finding out options.

I don't know what is being done today. But I know about 3 months ago, there was an idea presented that instead of putting it back on Saab, put it on a CN or Shanxi platform as there is more room in those. So again, don't take my word for it as I am not up to date on this specific thing as of today, but they might be trying a bigger platform. At the end of the day, this thing was built from scratch, and the housing and all would be done to the plane anyway, including installing servers, data links, satellite communication and all on the test plane. So if you are doing everything from scratch, it makes sense to do it on a bigger platform with more endurance and room!

Yeah, and PAF was making a James Bond movie out of it with all the bells and whistles!

And no, I haven't denied anything.

I still stick to what I said on the day of this event, one destroyed, one damaged.

Yeah, and PAF was making a James Bond movie out of it with all the bells and whistles!
And no, I haven't denied anything.
I still stick to what I said on the day of this event, one destroyed, one damaged.

I agree with the bold part. One destroyed and the other damaged one was probably rebuilt. But some say the squadron is at "full strength" which wasn't my understanding either, as I knew one was totally gone. We'll see what comes out of this, I am sure at some point people will see these flying and match the serials.

And on the James Bond thing, this is how this stuff works in every government. There is confidential to top secret clearance. In Pakistan, its no different, you get your basic security clearance and all the way up.

Just like the remainder of the world, there are projects that are hidden and take places in very hidden places. Both Russia and the US have caves where super confidential work happens. You should read about these by doing some research. Pakistan does the same. The Chinese are building an underground massive complex of buildings and underground tunnels so all these James Bond projects stay out of the Satellite's imagery.

yes PAF did it in 15 mil instead of 30 MIL
congrats you saved a lot of money

If it has a single microcontroller with protected memory, it will be MUCH, MUCH difficult.

Could be a mutually co-op effort where Saab agreed to offer information for the work to be done by Pakistani engineers..

In terms of what? Repairing it or Building it? You need to be more clear. Pakistan has a legal contract with Saab, but no warranty. Meaning they won't repair the plane due to un-natural events. But they still manufactured and sold the Radar to Pakistan so whatever parts Pakistan needs, they are obligated to sell those to Pakistan.

Its obviously a yes that Saab has proprietary electronics in their systems, otherwise, why would 4 systems cost over a billion? Pakistan paid for these planes and acquired them legally.....so what difference does it make from a proprietary electronics' standpoint as Pakistan is a paid users of these proprietary systems?

Are you referring to Pakistan building these?

In terms of what? Repairing it or Building it? You need to be more clear. Pakistan has a legal contract with Saab, but no warranty. Meaning they won't repair the plane due to un-natural events. But they still manufactured and sold the Radar to Pakistan so whatever parts Pakistan needs, they are obligated to sell those to Pakistan.

Its obviously a yes that Saab has proprietary electronics in their systems, otherwise, why would 4 systems cost over a billion? Pakistan paid for these planes and acquired them legally.....so what difference does it make from a proprietary electronics' standpoint as Pakistan is a paid users of these proprietary systems?

Are you referring to Pakistan building these?

"It took them many months, but the beauty is, now these guys know how this radar was designed and its complexities all the way, including the basic transistors, frequencies and motherboards, etc. Now they can probably get all the parts from the international market, or China and build a Saab like Radar internally "

Yes, repairing existing units, assuming the critical parts were not damaged, is possible,
but building additional units would be difficult.

Last edited:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom