What's new

PAF participates in "Red Flag" and "Green Flag"

The wingtip device with the antennas is an ACMI pod. It transmits positional and air-data real-time to a ground-based computer, as well as things like weapons-actuation and other data. During debrief, the information can be used to place the jet on a computer like a 3D video game, and everyone can see exactly what happened. They are used in all large-scale exercises and are incredibly valuable tools.

hes asking about the POD under intake Mate :agree:

its . . . .
Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night, or LANTIRN pod . . . . .

pic-product-lantirn.jpg

i think, i have explained a bit and also pakistan only have LANTIRN pod till now . . .

an other image
lgbfam1.gif

hare is link Laser Guided Bombs - Smart Weapons

Not for long.Sniper Pod would be coming soon.
http://www.f-16.net/news_article2333.html
May 14, 2007 (by Lieven Dewitte) - The U.S. government has awarded a contract to Lockheed Martin for 18 Sniper(R) Advanced Targeting Pods (ATP), a part of the new Advanced block 52 F-16 aircraft program for Pakistan.

PAF F-16s also have the ATLIS - LDP

any difference between a 'targeting' and a 'designator' pod?

Just for everyone's info, PAF has never had the LANTIRN in its inventory and thus has never operated it. The only LDPs in our current inventory are ATLIS IIs. They will be supplemented and eventually replaced by the SNIPER XR pods and that Chinese LDP.

interesting series

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for everyone's info, PAF has never had the LANTIRN in its inventory and thus has never operated it. The only LDPs in our current inventory are ATLIS IIs. They will be supplemented and eventually replaced by the SNIPER XR pods and that Chinese LDP.

pls supply evidence for your statement!

Look it up. Better yet ask someone either currently in service or recently retired from the Paf, as I never elaborate on my sources. Personal principle of mine. People who know me from the beginning of DT or the other Pakistani defence will also tell you that I've always been correct with my info.
Besides it is common logic. Lantirn became operational on Blk 40 Falcons and later on the Nato nations' MLU machines. Our Vipers are blk 15 OCUs, which did'nt have Lantirn integrated ever. Before the LANTIRN capable mlus, the only targeting pod integrated with Viper A/Bs was the day light ATLIS II on Paf F-16s. After that, the closest analogue Paf had to a tgp, was the flir on ROSE II/III Mirages.
P.s my post may sound rude, but it is not intended to be. I'm just pretty straightforward and blunt.

I forgot to mention, unlike ATLIS, DAMOCLESE or SNIPER XR, the LANTIRN is a two pod system.

this is a really good piece of kit this plane and it will be a good oppurtunity to test and train the pilots

Look it up. Better yet ask someone either currently in service or recently retired from the Paf, as I never elaborate on my sources. Personal principle of mine. People who know me from the beginning of DT or the other Pakistani defence will also tell you that I've always been correct with my info.
Besides it is common logic. Lantirn became operational on Blk 40 Falcons and later on the Nato nations' MLU machines. Our Vipers are blk 15 OCUs, which did'nt have Lantirn integrated ever. Before the LANTIRN capable mlus, the only targeting pod integrated with Viper A/Bs was the day light ATLIS II on Paf F-16s. After that, the closest analogue Paf had to a tgp, was the flir on ROSE II/III Mirages.
P.s my post may sound rude, but it is not intended to be. I'm just pretty straightforward and blunt.

Sep 2003
LMTAS successfully concludes flight testing of the Sniper XR Advanced Targeting Pod on F-16 block 30 and 50 aircraft

Sep 2003
LMTAS successfully concludes flight testing of the Sniper XR Advanced Targeting Pod on F-16 block 30 and 50 aircraft

" The first operational F-16s to be equipped with LANTIRN were Block 40/42 models, sometimes referred to as the "Night Falcon". Due to the USAF's concept of "misionized aircraft", which was extended to individual blocks, Block 40/42 F-16CG/DGs remained the only LANTIRN-capable F-16s in the USAF inventory for a long time (except for some F-16Bs which were used in LANTIRN-tests at Edwards). "

Check F-16 Installation: http://www.f-16.net/f-16_armament_article2.html

Check this, Block 30 first started to use LANTRIN in Nov, 1998, before that only Block 40 had this capability.

Laser-targeting pods permit precision strikes

So the LANTRIN working initially with Block 40s and above only is correct, while Sniper XR has come later on, by then it must have been made capable enough to work with Block 30s.

And here is about the Sniper XR, which was from the start programmed to be able to work with Block 30s.

http://www.f-16.net/news_article130.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/atp.htm

Hope it helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom