What's new

PAF JF-17 in Farnborough Air Show 2010

:rofl: Why would PAF need STOL capability?

In case part of the runway is unusable or you have a short lenth of straight road.

In Congo, our air force used an airport where the enemy had already taken and closed half the runway. They still managed to take-off and land their FGA/CAS aircraft using the half we controlled to drop bombs and straff the rebels on the other half!

Nabil can you confirm STOL Capability of JFT ?
The current Block of JF-17s has neither TVC engines nor an incredibly high TWR, hence I doubt there will be any STOL without external assistance. As far as I know, the PAF doesn't use JATO and doesn't plan to either.

If, however, the WS-13 to be incorporated into JF-17s has TVC, maybe things will change in the later blocks.

The current Block of JF-17s has neither TVC engines nor an incredibly high TWR, hence I doubt there will be any STOL without external assistance. As far as I know, the PAF doesn't use JATO and doesn't plan to either.

If, however, the WS-13 to be incorporated into JF-17s has TVC, maybe things will change in the later blocks.

now thats something new for me.....

In terms of pure STOL capability i don't think JFT has it but it has a much shorter take off and landing run than any PAF fighter fleet as of now so theoretically it has a STOL for PAF.

Nabil can you confirm STOL Capability of JFT ?

It would be important first to understand what STOL means or agree on some defining characteristics:

From here: STOL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The ability of an aircraft to clear a 50-foot (15 meters) obstacle within 1,500 feet (450 meters) of commencing takeoff or in landing, to stop within 1,500 feet (450 meters) after passing over a 50-foot (15 meters) obstacle. Also called STOL.

by the above definition, the JF-17 is not STOL!

In terms of pure STOL capability i don't think JFT has it but it has a much shorter take off and landing run than any PAF fighter fleet as of now so theoretically it has a STOL for PAF.

Read First Article's Last line - this is what i am talking about.

14b3wq1.jpg

Good news guys, as per my info Azerbaijan has placed an order of 24 JFTs. Zimbabwe have already placed order in 2005 and they are just waiting for delivery. Egypt is most likely next customer as they like the aircraft and final negotiations on license setup are going on.

If this does pan out, it will indeed be a huge boost to JF-17's export potential.

Good news guys, as per my info Azerbaijan has placed an order of 24 JFTs. Zimbabwe have already placed order in 2005 and they are just waiting for delivery. Egypt is most likely next customer as they like the aircraft and final negotiations on license setup are going on.

Hello Nabil,

How many are asked by Zimbabwe? Will both these countries wait for Chinese WS-13 before getting their delivery?

Second, What if JFTs are there outside China and Pakistan, in some third country where its those features that we are most probably trying to keep safe like RCS and self-protection systems, would be exposed. How is that going to affect PAF?

Hello Nabil,

How many are asked by Zimbabwe? Will both these countries wait for Chinese WS-13 before getting their delivery?

Second, What if JFTs are there outside China and Pakistan, in some third country where its those features that we are most probably trying to keep safe like RCS and self-protection systems, would be exposed. How is that going to affect PAF?

Well the Zimbabwe had ordered but it seem due to their worse economic situation their program seems to have either halted or canceled for now.

The export model would most probably be different compared to what PAF would be getting.

PAF may get the KLJ-10 radars or a western option or even AESA ones in future, while the export orders for African countries may have the same KLJ-7 radar. Plus the communication equipment would be all Chinese which in PAF case is not, jammers / defensive suite may differ, etc etc.

As for RCS, well PAF one RCS would definitely be less compared to what wil be offered for export, how well that is an interesting part for now :)

China / Pakistan will never hopefully export the best of the things which they use, it would be somewhat different / less efficient variant.

Contrary to common perception JFT will be sold to all customers with their respective demands and what they deem necessary to accumulate in their package. This is another advantage that China and Pakistan want to provide to their customers. for e.g, if Egypt wants a full JFT with western avionics, ew, radar, weapons, it will get it and so will other customers. This will develop a lot of confidence for buyers in this fighter as no one in the 21st century wants to pay 15-20 mil $ and still get a monkey version. As for PAF version, we have developed complete in-house technology development hub for this very purpose because whatever we need from now on, we are making it ourselves such as ew, avionics, weapons, datalink etc.. except for engine. The point is that sensitive technology export will not be an issue as the "PLUG AND PLAY" factor will play its role here. Our variant will still be PAF specific.

On it's way to FIA, JFT was inspected by Turks and Saudis and Saudis were damn impressed ! Saudi base commander sat in the cockpit and appreciated its man-machine interface. :)

Back
Top Bottom