What's new

PAF & Future Cyber Warfare

AOA & hello to all who are reading this thread

Today I am going to discuss about something Which is more dangerous than anything we know today in our weaponry .

Lets think that you can , Use any aggressors AWACS , satellite , Radars , UAV's Against them !! paralyse their Fighter Jets & do not bother about firing a missile to knock it out of the sky!
Their missiles would be like a sitting dud on the launchers , They would not be able to fly their Gunships and even Airlines , their banks would be like a cattle form they would'nt be able to make a fone call or use 3g service and go check out Facebook.

It sounds a bit Insane and crazy but belive it or not it is Possible !

And the most intresting part of it that we need two things in genral , A
computer and the right Brain to use it!

The topic is : Cyberspace Warfare ( the battle ground of the Future )

For those who are not familiar with cybersace warfare in shot i would say , its like sitting on a computer in an airconditioned room having a cup of hot coffee and doing a harm to your enemy what they would never have even though in their wildest dreams.

Its about control , and where we talk about control what is the best place to learn about it?
yeah United States Air force.
United States Air Force - AirForce.com Go and check the USAF website and see what they have got on the Homepage its , AIR , Space , Cyber space.
see the video on cyberspace and you will know what i mean.:smitten:
I am going to post what i have read about it and i hope you will too and contribute into this thread .

There is a little example:
September 23, 2009: When Britain's domestic intelligence agency decided to recruit from the hacker community, for Cyber War tasks, they duly found about fifty suitable candidates. The new employees had to pass the screening process (background investigation and lengthy interviews), and sign the documents obliging them to comply with the Official Secrets Act (under pain of severe penalties). The latter item means they cannot discuss their new job with anyone outside of MI5 (and many inside MI5 who do not have a "need to know.")

MI5, like many corporations and intel agencies, have found that the largely self-taught recreational (and occasionally criminal) hackers have lots of useful skills that cannot be found in university trained software engineers. The MI5 hackers have quickly proved their worth, playing key roles in several counter-terrorism cases. One interesting aspect of all this is that most of the fifty new hires (or their families) were from Asia (mainly India, Pakistan:pakistan: and China:china:).

Why PAF should work on it ?
1: They will have to in future
2: To stand as a lethal force
3: Its Cheap !!!:yahoo:
4: And i would say it is the most dangerous weapon one would ever know

How PAF would start it :
1: Few computers
2: Few Computer proffessionals from the streets :taz:
3: And make sure that all of the informtion is Used & saved
4: Knock on the very next door :china: if you know what i mean guys.

Each member specially Senior members are morethan welcome to share their expertise on this topic.
Regards::tup:

This thread is crazy !
I wish computer hacking was like sword fish, and i would get same under the table treatment ... unfortunately it is not.

What made u think that a commercial network would give u access to closed network.
How did u think you would jam or destroy the EWACS and the missiles ?
U think the enemy puts the firmware on the internet that you can fiddle around with and then upload again ?

Every equipment that we are buying from US/Europes comes with kill switches, unless u figure those out dont even dream of understanding some one else code and playing with it.

Get real !

I suggest think of a way to knock out the satellites, and the national grid in smart locations ;) Voila !

Or make a list of fat stupid officers on both sides of the border who are exposed on the internet directly or 2nd connection and profile.

You will learn a lot !

Thread closed.

This thread is crazy !
I wish computer hacking was like sword fish, and i would get same under the table treatment ... unfortunately it is not.

What made u think that a commercial network would give u access to closed network.
How did u think you would jam or destroy the EWACS and the missiles ?
U think the enemy puts the firmware on the internet that you can fiddle around with and then upload again ?

Every equipment that we are buying from US/Europes comes with kill switches, unless u figure those out dont even dream of understanding some one else code and playing with it.

Get real !

I suggest think of a way to knock out the satellites, and the national grid in smart locations ;) Voila !

Or make a list of fat stupid officers on both sides of the border who are exposed on the internet directly or 2nd connection and profile.

You will learn a lot !

Thread closed.

I dont know if you are computer literate or not. But, the things you say Impossible are very much possible (very difficult though).

Assuming and just assuming that this star trek venture is possible will the benefits of such a costly exercise be worth the costs? The chances of Pakistan and India or India and China ever going to full scale war is now reduced because of nuclear weapons. The real enemy to all established nations is no longer the huge armies on the other side of the borders. It is the militias operating within their borders. How will cyber weapons threaten them ? Type on your keyboard and some Taliban in Afghanistan or some pirate in Somalia or some Stormfront fighter in the USA will not stop causing havoc. Such technology may end up being a threat to the country developing it since if it does fall in the wrong hands , it may end up being used against the country's electronically controlled weapons to take control of that country by a few mad people :undecided:

Hello:

Guys the Indian efforts to creat panic and hatered among paksitanies is Comming to light.

Thousands of Indian users pretending as pakistanies in Chat rooms , Forums , blogs , youtube are working hard to creat that panic while deploying their old Shamefull ""Baniya"" mindset in a new way!

They talk to Pakistanies pretending to be one of them and raise issues which can cause common conflicts..

Smart choice!

Please watch this video and Lets stop it!

Regards:

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know if you are computer literate or not. But, the things you say Impossible are very much possible (very difficult though).

I would appreciate if you can substantiate your hypothesis with any scientific grounds ?

else please abstain from commenting without point.

I would appreciate if you can substantiate your hypothesis with any scientific grounds ?

else please abstain from commenting without point.

I have point in this saying.... If you don't know technology than I am sorry can't teach you that. Haven't you heard of Cyber attack, cyber crime.... these terms are so common these days.

There is a million dollar industry solely for computer and network security. Banks, Institutions, Multi Nationals, all use computers and spend millions to protect vital data. Imagine if you erase all the credit data of bank, the bank won't know who owes them and it will be gone.

Similarly, there is huge amount of data related to military hardware, war planes etc etc, that one got in "wrong hands" can substantially hurt.

In real time war scenarios: you should know that there is built in functionality in missiles that it wont hit friendly targets, as in case of American Stingers that were given to afghans. When Taliban tries to use them, they failed until they hacked it and used it.

Also, you can hack the communication system of enemy. That is not easy but possible. These days communication happens in digital form with highly encrypted data. Decrypting it and making most out of it is the key to success.

I hope this helps.

Btw, if by "scientific grounds" you meant how to do it, then I am not the guy to ask this.

I have point in this saying.... If you don't know technology than I am sorry can't teach you that. Haven't you heard of Cyber attack, cyber crime.... these terms are so common these days.

There is a million dollar industry solely for computer and network security. Banks, Institutions, Multi Nationals, all use computers and spend millions to protect vital data. Imagine if you erase all the credit data of bank, the bank won't know who owes them and it will be gone.

Similarly, there is huge amount of data related to military hardware, war planes etc etc, that one got in "wrong hands" can substantially hurt.

In real time war scenarios: you should know that there is built in functionality in missiles that it wont hit friendly targets, as in case of American Stingers that were given to afghans. When Taliban tries to use them, they failed until they hacked it and used it.

Also, you can hack the communication system of enemy. That is not easy but possible. These days communication happens in digital form with highly encrypted data. Decrypting it and making most out of it is the key to success.

I hope this helps.

Btw, if by "scientific grounds" you meant how to do it, then I am not the guy to ask this.

That is exactly my point.
Yours truly happens to have been associated with this field for the last 9 years, and ears a living implementing security for banks, oil companies, and even dear PAF.

so, im telling you that what u are suggesting is practically impossible,
please be rational.

But, if you really want this to happen, u need human intrusion into the enemies network ( which is almost always disconnected from commercial networks) and get access.

I will again say, it not impossible, but one needs to be practical.

What you are suggesting is fiction more than fact.

You need to open your eyes this is all i have to say..

Cyberspace is the battle ground of the future , and this thread is not about whether is it possible to do those things we have been talking about ..
Yes they are possible there is nothing impossible , Drones are the example and i suggest watch Eagle eye its fiction but carries alot of stuff to learn.

Regards:

@salman 108

May be this will help to understand that this thing is real, already there, developing with time and in future can be a potent weapon of war. this news is of 2005 but US military secrets has been hacked again (i guess) recently as well. may be someone has the info and can post it here.

By Tom Espiner
Posted on ZDNet News: Nov 23, 2005 7:48:00 PM

Security experts have revealed details about a group of Chinese hackers who are suspected of launching intelligence-gathering attacks against the U.S. government.
The hackers, believed to be based in the Chinese province of Guangdong, are thought to have stolen U.S. military secrets, including aviation specifications and flight-planning software.

The U.S. government has coined the term "Titan Rain" to describe the hackers.

"From the Redstone Arsenal, home to the Army Aviation and Missile Command, the attackers grabbed specs for the aviation mission-planning system for Army helicopters, as well as Falconview 3.2, the flight-planning software used by the Army and Air Force," Alan Paller, the director of the SANS Institute, said on Tuesday.

The team is thought to consist of 20 hackers. Paller said that the Chinese government is the most likely recipient of the information they intercepted.

"Of course, it's the government. Governments will pay anything for control of other governments' computers. All governments will pay anything. It's so much better than tapping a phone," Paller said at an event at the British Department of Trade and Industry.

Titan Rain first came to public attention this summer, when the Washington Post reported that Web sites in China were being used to target computer networks in the Defense Department and other U.S. agencies.

Time magazine later reported that Titan Rain had been counter-hacked by a U.S. security expert called Shawn Carpenter.

The ongoing attacks were particularly effective on the night of Nov. 1, 2004, said Paller, who outlined his version of how the hackers first scanned, then broke into, U.S. government computers:

• At 10:23 p.m. PST, the Titan Rain hackers exploited vulnerabilities at the U.S. Army Information Systems Engineering Command at Fort Huachuca, Ariz.

• At 1:19 a.m., they exploited the same hole in computers at the Defense Information Systems Agency in Arlington, Va.

• At 3:25 a.m., they hit the Naval Ocean Systems Center, a Defense Department installation in San Diego, Calif.

• At 4:46 a.m., they struck the U.S. Army Space and Strategic Defense installation in Huntsville, Ala.

The United Kingdom is also under intelligence-gathering cyberattack from the Far East, according to National Infrastructure Security Co-ordination Centre. The government body cannot name the countries concerned as this may "ruin diplomatic efforts to halt the attacks," NISCC director Roger Cummings said Tuesday.

Tom Espiner of ZDNet UK reported from London.

Total gridlock - Cyber threat to critical infrastructure
By Levi Gundert

13 October 2009

US President Barack Obama has set up a new cyber security strategy, and warned that the cyber threat is one of the most serious challenges facing the US. (PA)Article ToolsFull Article for Subscribers

Industry LinksImprove border security without disrupting passenger processing. Get the know-how you need from SITA.

Jane's is not responsible for the content within or linking from Industry Links pages.
Cyber security is becoming an increasingly important issue, as governments and companies evaluate the potential risks that cyber attacks could pose. In May, United States President Barack Obama announced a new cyber security strategy to co-ordinate national cyber security initiatives, warning that the cyber threat is one of the most serious economic and national security challenges facing the United States.

In a sign of the administration's commitment to countering cyber threats, Obama created a new cyber security office in the White House, stating that the country's digital infrastructure would now be treated as a strategic national asset. A month later, the military created a four-star cyber command to focus on efforts to protect networks from potential cyber attacks.

Such concerns about cyber security gained media attention in April, when the Wall Street Journal reported that the US power grid had been infiltrated by foreign spies. Such an infiltration could be used to shut down or disrupt the power grid, perhaps in a time of war, posing a major threat to national security. Although such an infiltration was not confirmed, the report highlighted the vulnerabilities of the control systems that manage critical infrastructure, such as the electricity grid.
:cheesy:

Thanks for editing Tiami bhai , we would be posting some great stuff now! here...

Here you go guys, its a very interesting article:

We all are aware of the wars India and Pakistan have fought and the resulted destruction especially precious human lives. In the current information age, some battles are not only fought with guns and tanks but also through media, internet and pen. Since the advent of Information Technology among the masses of South Asia in mid 1990s, the pace of cyber wars between Pakistan and India have also been increased.

Cyberwars between the two countries started in May 1998, when India conducted its nuclear tests. Soon after India officially announced the test, a group of Pakistan-based hackers called milw0rm broke into the Bhabha Atomic Research Center web site and posted anti-India and anti-nuclear messages. The cyberwars usually have been limited to defacements of each others' sites. Defacement is a low level damage, in which only the home page of a site is replaced with hacker's own page, usually with some message for the victim. Such defacements started in May 1998 and continued during Kargil War in 1999 and then during that era when the tension between India and Pakistan was at its peak from Dec 2001 to 2002. Therefore, the period between 1999 to 2002 was very crucial, when the troops were busy across the LOC exchanging gunshots and the hackers busy in defacing sites of each others.

According to attrition.org, a web site that tracks computer security related developments on the Internet, show that attacks on Indian websites increased from 4 in 1999 to 72 in 2000 where as the Pakistani websites were hacked 7 times in 1999 and 18 times in 2000. During the first half of 2001, 150 Indian websites were defaced.

During Kargil war, the first Indian site reported to be hacked was Armyinkashmir.com - army in kashmir Resources and Information.This website is for sale!, established by the Indian government to provide factual information about daily events in the Kashmir Valley. The hackers posted photographs showing Indian military forces allegedly killing Kashmiri militants. The pictures sported captions like 'Massacre,' Torture,' 'Extrajudicial execution' and 'The agony of crackdown' and blamed the Indian government for its alleged atrocities in Kashmir. That was followed by defacement of numerous Indian governmental sites and reciprocal attacks on Pakistani sites.

Two prominent Pakistani hacker groups are PHC (Pakistan Hackers Club) and G-Force. The founder of PHC is Dr. Nuker. The US Department of Justice has identified "Doctor Nuker" as Misbah Khan of Karachi. Misbah Khan was involved in defacement of the official site of AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee). Doctor Nuker struck back with an interview to a magazine Newsbytes where he claimed that the 'federal grand jury made a mistake in indicting Misbah Khan of Karachi' and that 'he merely uses insecure servers in Pakistan to get online anonymously'. Doctor Nuker has been featured in international publications including Time and Newsweek.

G-Force is based in Lahore and it consists of eight members. Both Pakistan Hackers Club and G-Force are professional hackers with a specific aim: to work for the cause of Kashmir and Palestine. It is still to be seen how their hackings are helping the cause of Palestine or Kashmir! Pakistan Hackers Club has been around since quite long and apart from Indian site, they have defaced many USA and Israeli sites including US Department of Energy's site. G-Force was founded in May 1999 after the nuclear tests and their initial target was Indian sites but after 9/11, their concentration has been shifted to US-based sites. According to zone-h.org, G-Force has successfully defaced 212 sites. G-Force's "achievements" includes National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency and three military sites associated with the US Defence Test and Evaluation Professional Institute.

During this cyberwar, in December 2000, a wired.com news story created waves that claimed that an Indian hacker's group "Patriotic Indians" has defaced the official site of Pakistani government pakgov.org. Later, it was revealed that the actual site of Pakistani government is pak.gov.pk, not pakgov.org and pakgov.org was in fact registered by the alleged hacker himself with fake information.

On the Indian side, there are various hackers groups that have defaced Pakistani sites. Among them, the most famous one is H2O or the Hindustan Hackers Organization. However, the independent as well as Indian analysts admit that at this cyber-front, Pakistan has always been winning this war. There are two main reasons for this. Firstly, Pakistani hackers are organized in groups where as most of the Indian hackers are working as solo. Secondly and the most important reason is the religious motivation of the hackers based in Pakistan, to do something for the cause of Muslim brothers & sisters in Palestine and Kashmir.

At the government level, both the countries are doing their best to curb hacktivism. NIC (National Informatics Centre) of India and Cybercrime division of FIA (Federal Investigation Authority) in Pakistan are taking necessary steps to eliminate all forms of cybercrime, including hacking.

A few of the Indian sites defaced by Pakistani hackers are:

1. Indian Science Congress

2. National Informatics Centre

3. Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited (State-run international voice carrier)

4. External Affairs Mnistry

5. UP government site

6. Ministry of Information Technology

7. Mahindra & Mahindra

8. Rediff Chat

9. Asian Age newspaper

10. Aptech India

11. University of Mumbai

12. Official site of Gujarat Government

13. GlaxoWellcome India

14. The Parliament home page

15. SetIndia.com

16. Department of Electronics

17. Engineering Export Promotion Council, Ministry of Commerce

18. Center for Advanced Technology

A few of the Pakistani sites defaced by Indian hackers are:

1. The Nation (newspaper)

2. Pakistan Television

3. Pakistan Tourism Development Corporation

4. Official site of Punjab Government

5. Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology

6. Prime bank

7. Hamdard University

If fighting with our neighbours is in our genes, we can fight through the internet, media, newspapers and books but let us not fight with guns and missiles. There may be humiliation if a website is defaced but at least no human life is lost.

Cyber Wars Between Pakistan and India

:bunny:

Pakistani hackers attack U.S. government site

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) — The U.S. government is investigating an attack on one of its Web sites in which a well-known Pakistani hacker group posted a message threatening to turn sensitive information over to the Al Qaeda organization unless the United States agreed to meet its terms. A Web server for the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) was disabled for a few hours on Oct. 17 and has since been taken down, Greg Hernandez, online editor and Web master for the NOAA Web site, said Thursday.

"The Internet security team is still doing forensics to see exactly where this attack originated," Hernandez said. "They found a (digital) back door key and got in there and did this, but it did not affect the operational side" of the site.

The message from the hacker group said: "Though GForce Pakistan condemns the attacks on US, We also stand by Al-Qaeda," the renegade organization run by Osama bin Laden that is believed to be responsible for the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

"We have some very high confidential US data that will be given to the right authorities of Al-Qaeda, remember if you give us peace you will get peace," the message said, according to a Web site that has mirrored the defaced site.

The hackers also demanded that the U.S. remove troops from Saudi Arabia, stop bombing Afghanistan and stop supporting Israel.

The group threatened to hack undisclosed major Web sites, but added that they "won't hurt any data, as it's unethical. All we want is our message conveyed."

The defaced Web site was the "back-up to a back-up" to weather forecasting data NOAA provides to the Federal Aviation Administration, Hernandez said.

The U.S. National Infrastructure Protection Center, which is run by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, issued an advisory last week warning that there may be more "cyber protests" in light of the military conflicts.

While Web site defacements are the cyber equivalent of graffiti and more annoying than damaging, the advisory warns that more harmful activities could follow.

"While the cyber damage thus far has been minimal, the infrastructure will certainly be a target of cyber protesters and hactivists in the future, with the potential goal being intentional destruction rather than public embarrassment or purely political statements," the advisory said.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2001/10/26/hack-attack.htm

Back
Top Bottom