What's new

PAF F-16s as nuke delivery system.

The article has certain implications to raise eyebrows about the sale of the F-16s to Pakistan. Factually and technically, the report is a bit misleading.

Currently 3 Pakistani platforms are capable of tactical nuclear strike (and one strategic). These include the F-16, Mirage and the A-5s. The latter two (Mirage and A-5) can carry out toss bombing with a nuclear weapon however are limited by range. F-16 is a strategic asset as it affords longer range. Prior to the induction of the BMs, F-16 was considered a strategic asset by the PAF. Secondly the ECM suite on the F-16s is and will be more advanced than the ones on the Mirage and A-5 thus detecting it would be harder for any adversary..thus I think more attention is paid to the F-16s.

So the whole issue about the F-16s being used as a nuclear bomb truck are motivated somewhat as Pakistan has operated 40 of the same type with this capability for the last 23 years...so the way I read these reports when they started coming out was basically a lobbying effort to stop the sale of the F-16s to Pakistan.

I remember there was a similar argument during the sale of old Australian Mirages during the nineties for exactly the reason stated. (they were capable of delivering nuclear weapons) Since that sale went through (plus the availability of missiles) I would not be overly concerned regarding this.

Why is it never discussed how India or other nations do the same? Pakistan did it. It is simple and we do not care. Move on Indians...
If you look carefully, you'll notice the thread wasn't started by an Indian.

Back
Top Bottom