What's new

Overseas Pakistanis will not vote in next elections!!

Practice is there, but you know more often than not, it pisses me off when some (and lets face it we know those types) become this snobby characters... You know jinko Organic Aaloo se kam hazam nahi hota and unko Pakistan aakay koora karkat and sab ganda ganda hi nazar aata hai.

These guys are not fundamentally bad or wrong in their criticism but they are ignoring the big picture and somehow laying fault on the locals too liberally.

Each side needs to understand the other.

People like me who didn't leave Pakistan but whose family were out since before my birth, can't say now if I would have left on my own or not. Maybe I wouldn't have been able to, maybe I wouldn't want to, maybe I would have. About coming back... Its not easy. Every person wants to move up in their career, koi politician ho toh woh chor chaar ke politics karne aa bhi sakta hai. For a regular guy like me, its hard, I sleep with AC on full and then some more and its on all the time I'm there. We are creatures of habit and ab woh aadat hi nahi hai.

But just because I like the AC, should I not be allowed to select who the leader of Pakistan would be? Maybe we have seen good governance out of Pakistan and hence can at least identify qualities of better leaders in Pak? I understand the logic that wahan ka banda hi wahan ke dukh dard ko samajta hai. But dukh dard ke illava bhi koi goverance hoti hai, we as overseas Pakistanis whenever we run our mouth about expert opinions about Pakistan we want to improve Pakistan on the macro level things.

Well lets see,how the resident 'custodians of Pakistan' behave in next elections.
I am not too hopeful,as they will again vote for same ols theive and then moan another 5 years about how loadshedding,inflation and outlandish food prices in an agricultural country is making their life hell.
Sometimes i laugh at all that.
True that resident Pakistanis are the ones who can change the fate of the country.
But do they even have the ability to do it?

Well lets see,how the resident 'custodians of Pakistan' behave in next elections.
I am not too hopeful,as they will again vote for same ols theive and then moan another 5 years about how loadshedding,inflation and outlandish food prices in an agricultural country is making their life hell.
Sometimes i laugh at all that.
True that resident Pakistanis are the ones who can change the fate of the country.
But do they even have the ability to do it?

Looking at the past record, apparently they do not. Sadly.

Most of the over-seas Pakistani are well-educated. And eventually most of the educated people of Pakistan are in favor of Imran Khan. This fact, that majority of the over-seas Pakistani are in favor of Imran Khan would result in loss to PPP hence they acted upon this. I disagree with the fact that over-sea Pakistani have no right to vote. Just the dual-nationals should not be eligible to cast their votes.

A couple of months ago the Election Commission said that the overseas would be eligible to vote this time and this was greatly welcomed and the success of PTI deemed stronger.

^^^ We will see how many youths actually get out of their beds on the day of election and go vote for PTI.
Youth are a major part of Pakistani population and a big vote bank for PTI.
Albeit too lazy to do anything.

Most of the over-seas Pakistani are well-educated. And eventually most of the educated people of Pakistan are in favor of Imran Khan. This fact, that majority of the over-seas Pakistani are in favor of Imran Khan would result in loss to PPP hence they acted upon this. I disagree with the fact that over-sea Pakistani have no right to vote. Just the dual-nationals should not be eligible to cast their votes.

A couple of months ago the Election Commission said that the overseas would be eligible to vote this time and this was greatly welcomed and the success of PTI deemed stronger.

It would be illegal to limit that right. A vote is right of a national.

Why not just end Dual nationalities? If you are ensuring someone's nationality remains intact, then you have to give them national rights.

Why not just end Dual nationalities? If you are ensuring someone's nationality remains intact, then you have to give them national rights.

Well, that goes against the many benefits that led to dual nationalities being permitted to begin with.

I am a dual passport holder...
And its way too easy for me to get rid of my green passport....specialy when my kids are born here,speak english in manchester accent.
If i am holding on to my green passport,while speaking urdu with my chidren,and teachinb them how to write urdu,telling them all about Pakistan,and making bi annual visits to Pakistan to familiarize them with Pakistan.
There must be something about me and Pakistan.
All this dual nationality farce is baseless.
Although i agree,that at sensitive top positions,such as legisletive assembly,only Pakistani passport holders should be allowed,and thats for security reasons.

Most Pakistanis abroad are very patriotic people and dont need a degree or certificate from those who are sitting in Pakistan and thinking that Pakistan is their right only. Its ours too!

When Pakistanis abroad 'preach' as you say, they do so from experience. It pains us to see Pakistan in such a pathetic state as it is right now. When we outside our country can excel and benefit from a good system, why cant we have that in Pakistan.

Every Pakistani wants to return to Pakistan. I haven't come across any who said it otherwise. Its because no matter how long we live here, Pakistan is home to us and want to see it build and prosper like the countries we chose to live.

Pakistan belong to every Pakistani and by the way, the remittances of $12 billion do help. We never ask anything in return like US would by offering us a few dollars or used weapons. We just ask we be treated as equals and have a say in the future of our motherland. Thats too big an ask considering the mindset of the contributors here and those sitting in corridors of real power.

I do agree that dual national Pakistanis should not be allowed in decision making positions. Pakistanis have only seen Moin Qureshi, Shaukat Aziz and Rehman Malik as dual nationals who 'served' their master rather than their country. There are 4 million of them and they pray and strive to work for their country - Pakistan.

Most Pakistanis abroad are very patriotic people and dont need a degree or certificate from those who are sitting in Pakistan and thinking that Pakistan is their right only. Its ours too!

When Pakistanis abroad 'preach' as you say, they do so from experience. It pains us to see Pakistan in such a pathetic state as it is right now. When we outside our country can excel and benefit from a good system, why cant we have that in Pakistan.

Every Pakistani wants to return to Pakistan. I haven't come across any who said it otherwise. Its because no matter how long we live here, Pakistan is home to us and want to see it build and prosper like the countries we chose to live.

Pakistan belong to every Pakistani and by the way, the remittances of $12 billion do help. We never ask anything in return like US would by offering us a few dollars or used weapons. We just ask we be treated as equals and have a say in the future of our motherland. Thats too big an ask considering the mindset of the contributors here and those sitting in corridors of real power.

No, just send the money and keep quiet. :D

Well, that goes against the many benefits that led to dual nationalities being permitted to begin with.

The only benefit I think people will have is that they don't need to spend the USD 400 fee to process for Pakistani visa - which I think was the primary driving force behind it all.

The benefit is plain n simple. Oblige the OP, since they are super cool, and to keep them happy enough to spend money in Pak.

Money I think is not a good enough a reason to offset the risks. A person should clearly belong to just one country.

I think at best, the option to come back to Pakistani mode should be left for them, but one nationality at a time only.

May I ask what do our fauj/ civil servants do to get such a huge budget and command such salaries and perks and privileges? What exactly are they doing for Pakistan that overseas Pakistanis are not doing? We dont want any position or any privilege. We happily give to our country without ever bothering to count and expect anything in return. But a small respect in return will do wonders. A small gesture thats missing here.

The only benefit I think people will have is that they don't need to spend the USD 400 fee to process for Pakistani visa - which I think was the primary driving force behind it all.

The benefit is plain n simple. Oblige the OP, since they are super cool, and to keep them happy enough to spend money in Pak.

Money I think is not a good enough a reason to offset the risks. A person should clearly belong to just one country.

I think at best, the option to come back to Pakistani mode should be left for them, but one nationality at a time only.

Although ...having one Pakistani nationality is no litmus test for loyalty..
Pakistani pasport holders who never been abroad have done more damage to the country than all of us expats combined..

May I ask what do our fauj/ civil servants do to get such a huge budget and command such salaries and perks and privileges? What exactly are they doing for Pakistan that overseas Pakistanis are not doing? We dont want any position or any privilege. We happily give to our country without ever bothering to count and expect anything in return. But a small respect in return will do wonders. A small gesture thats missing here.

exactly...
the same cheap talk i get when i go to my home town..
" o jee tusee tay England rainday hoo,tusaan kay pataa Pakistan wich guzara kinna owkha waiy "...as if i live on mars and dont have links in Pakistan and wasnt born there :cheesy:

exactly...
the same cheap talk i get when i go to my home town..
" o jee tusee tay England rainday hoo,tusaan kay pataa Pakistan wich guzara kinna owkha waiy "...as if i live on mars and dont have links in Pakistan and wasnt born there :cheesy:

I don't know who told you that and in what context, but me and Zakii were having a conversation about living expenses in the UK and Pakistan... and just comparing the numbers we realised just how bad the situation is for Pakistanis living here.

For instance, there are floods in the UK right now and there are floods here in Pakistan. But do you know the difference between the two...

Back
Top Bottom