Over 43 million people in Pakistan defecate in the open

Status
Not open for further replies.

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The population of Pakistan is 179.2 Million, instead of bitching & making fun about about each other both nations should work together to promote hygienic bio degradable toilets. In India the DRDO , Gwalior has done yeoman work on this & their toilets are being used across including railway trains.

Over 43 million people in Pakistan defecate in the open - thenews.com.pk

Islamabad

Toilets are still out of reach for more than one-third of the global population. In Pakistan, more than 43 million people defecate in the open, with devastating consequences for the health and development of children, says the United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef) on World Toilet Day, which is being observed worldwide today (Tuesday).

Access to toilets remains the unmentionable, often shameful secret in Pakistan,” said Miriam de Figueroa, Unicef’s deputy representative in Pakistan. “But it’s invisibility doesn’t make it less harmless; in fact, it is quite the reverse especially as poor sanitation conditions contribute to malnutrition and the high level of stunting in Pakistan and provide a fertile ground for spreading the polio virus. Lack of access to safe sanitation is quite literally killing Pakistani children — day after day after day.” “Every action which spurs people to change their way of dealing with defecation brings us closer towards the goal of sanitation for all. It is not easy, but it is certainly doable, and moreover, it is absolutely indispensable,” Figueroa said. Every 24 hours, 320 children in Pakistan die from diarrhoea - the result of a deadly combination of unsafe water and poor sanitation conditions. Water and sanitation related diseases are responsible for some 60 per cent of the total number of deaths of children under five years of age.

Diarrhoea contributes to and aggravates malnutrition, which is an underlying cause of more than half of all the deaths of children under five. Poor sanitation also has a serious impact on children’s right to education when children miss school due to water and sanitation related diseases. In addition, girls tend to drop out of school and female teachers may not work where there are no gender-segregated toilets. Women, as the primary caregivers of sick children, have less time to care for other children and to do other work, when they have to care for the ill. Water, sanitation and hygiene related diseases cost Pakistan’s economy an estimated Rs112 billion each year. This economic loss is due to labour hours lost or reduced productivity, with household and public resources being diverted to curative services.

Although the world has met the global UN Millennium Development Goal (MDG) of halving the proportion of people without access to improved water sources, progress towards sanitation access remains the most off-track of all the sanitation related MDG targets in Pakistan. The MDG target is to reduce the proportion of the global population without access to improved sanitation, from 51 percent in 1990 to 25 per cent by 2015. Although since 1990 almost 1.9 billion people gained access to improved sanitation, in 2011 the total with access was still only 64 percent of the global population. The government of Pakistan is pushing to bridge the gap. The national, as well as the provincial sanitation policies envision the creation of an open defecation free environment with safe disposal of liquid and solid waste and the promotion of health and hygiene practices in the country. Further to this policy, a holistic vision of sanitation has been developed through an integrated total sanitation model resulting in the formulation of a Pakistan Approach to Total Sanitation (PATS) as a comprehensive strategy for promoting improved sanitation and hygiene outcomes in informal and rural areas that focuses social change. Since 2010, Unicef and the government of Pakistan with its implementing partners Plan International and Water Aid as well as several local NGOs initiated a rural sanitation programme reaching out to more than 7.4 million people by the end of 2012.

Programmes are being implemented to reach out an additional 1.3 million men, women and children in each province. More needs to be done by the government of Pakistan, communities and individuals to bring forth the taboo subject of toilets and open defecation for discussion and explore ways and means to tackle the problem.

The population of Pakistan is 179.2 Million, instead of bitching & making fun about about each other both nations should work together to promote hygienic bio degradable toilets. In India the DRDO , Gwalior has done yeoman work on this & their toilets are being used across including railway trains.

Over 43 million people in Pakistan defecate in the open - thenews.com.pk

Islamabad

Toilets are still out of reach for more than one-third of the global population. In Pakistan, more than 43 million people defecate in the open, with devastating consequences for the health and development of children, says the United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef) on World Toilet Day, which is being observed worldwide today (Tuesday).

Access to toilets remains the unmentionable, often shameful secret in Pakistan,” said Miriam de Figueroa, Unicef’s deputy representative in Pakistan. “But it’s invisibility doesn’t make it less harmless; in fact, it is quite the reverse especially as poor sanitation conditions contribute to malnutrition and the high level of stunting in Pakistan and provide a fertile ground for spreading the polio virus. Lack of access to safe sanitation is quite literally killing Pakistani children — day after day after day.” “Every action which spurs people to change their way of dealing with defecation brings us closer towards the goal of sanitation for all. It is not easy, but it is certainly doable, and moreover, it is absolutely indispensable,” Figueroa said. Every 24 hours, 320 children in Pakistan die from diarrhoea - the result of a deadly combination of unsafe water and poor sanitation conditions. Water and sanitation related diseases are responsible for some 60 per cent of the total number of deaths of children under five years of age.

Diarrhoea contributes to and aggravates malnutrition, which is an underlying cause of more than half of all the deaths of children under five. Poor sanitation also has a serious impact on children’s right to education when children miss school due to water and sanitation related diseases. In addition, girls tend to drop out of school and female teachers may not work where there are no gender-segregated toilets. Women, as the primary caregivers of sick children, have less time to care for other children and to do other work, when they have to care for the ill. Water, sanitation and hygiene related diseases cost Pakistan’s economy an estimated Rs112 billion each year. This economic loss is due to labour hours lost or reduced productivity, with household and public resources being diverted to curative services.

Although the world has met the global UN Millennium Development Goal (MDG) of halving the proportion of people without access to improved water sources, progress towards sanitation access remains the most off-track of all the sanitation related MDG targets in Pakistan. The MDG target is to reduce the proportion of the global population without access to improved sanitation, from 51 percent in 1990 to 25 per cent by 2015. Although since 1990 almost 1.9 billion people gained access to improved sanitation, in 2011 the total with access was still only 64 percent of the global population. The government of Pakistan is pushing to bridge the gap. The national, as well as the provincial sanitation policies envision the creation of an open defecation free environment with safe disposal of liquid and solid waste and the promotion of health and hygiene practices in the country. Further to this policy, a holistic vision of sanitation has been developed through an integrated total sanitation model resulting in the formulation of a Pakistan Approach to Total Sanitation (PATS) as a comprehensive strategy for promoting improved sanitation and hygiene outcomes in informal and rural areas that focuses social change. Since 2010, Unicef and the government of Pakistan with its implementing partners Plan International and Water Aid as well as several local NGOs initiated a rural sanitation programme reaching out to more than 7.4 million people by the end of 2012.

Programmes are being implemented to reach out an additional 1.3 million men, women and children in each province. More needs to be done by the government of Pakistan, communities and individuals to bring forth the taboo subject of toilets and open defecation for discussion and explore ways and means to tackle the problem.
GOOD WORK,it is funny that spring onion ignored this article.

GOOD WORK,it is funny that spring onion ignored this article.

dint ignore it but I don't read the News. .

anyway just compare the issue in both the country and you will find more interesting facts about affects of this open deification varying in both the countries.

for me that is more interesting part to focus on instead of comparing unlike Indians.

In our case its most affects are seen in spread of viral disease whereas in Indian case the report compared physical growth of Indian kids with those of African kids and find it far lesser.

Now for me the question is why this factor is missing in Pakistani case?

anyway just compare the issue in both the country and you will find more interesting facts about affects of this open deification varying in both the countries.

for me that is more interesting part to focus on instead of comparing unlike Indians.

In our case its most affects are seen in spread of viral disease whereas in Indian case the report compared physical growth of Indian kids with those of African kids and find it far lesser.

well jana ji please tell me what is the population of pakistan and what is the population of india and in trhat comparrison population density , litraecy and GDP alloted for health and education your a journalist arent you hope youl not dissapoint me

What are bases of 43 million figure? :undecided: AFAIK - even villager have toilets in their houses these days - and in cities in almost every 2nd street have mosque where toilet facility is available than why one will defecate in public place?

Spring Onion is a lady

dep_13709821-Cute-Female-Devil-Lady-Vector.jpg

How do they implement these surveys? :lol:

well jana ji please tell me what is the population of pakistan and what is the population of india and in trhat comparrison population density , litraecy and GDP alloted for health and education your a journalist arent you hope youl not dissapoint me

I don't want to compare the two but since you want
I can see where are you going. anyway you can find your answers in your question your education
health budget your GDP , your projects are bigger than ours so why dint you succeed in cutting down the figure of 53%?

in the other thread I said corruption seems to be bigger factor but you Indians are always on the run and start comparing finding solace

OH PLEASE,you read indian newspaper but didnt read pak newspaper,besides that you didnt care to mention pak figures,ON TOP OF THAT YOU DIDNT CARE TO MENTION THAT HOW OPEN DEFECATION IS AFFECTING PAKISTANI KIDS AND YOU ARE ASKING THAT WHY THE CASE IS DIFFERENT.

I don't want to compare the two but since you want
I can see where are you going. anyway you can find your answers in your question your education
health budget your GDP , your projects are bigger than ours so why dint you succeed in cutting down the figure of 53%?

in the other thread I said corruption seems to be bigger factor but you Indians are always on the run and start comparing finding solace
or is it you getting cold feet and dont want to do actual research work jana ji

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom