What's new

[Opinionated] The sole Indian Carrier sailed only two weeks in two years?

So after Tejas Spokesman's lie about the Malabar exercise in 2021, I did some more research.

The Vikramaditya had been stuck in Karwar for more than 12 straight months now. The Malabar exercises (Bay of Bengal) in November 2020 was the last time it sailed.

And before Malabar 2020, it was port bound after TROPEX 19 exercise in February 2019 (also there was general alert for Indian armed forces after 40 Indian security personnel were killed at Pulwana.)

So Vikramaditya had been stuck in port for 21 straight months between February 2019 and November 2020. And now since Malabar 2020 it had been stuck in port for a new streak of 13 straight months.

So in three calendar years 2019-2021, 34 months and counting, the Vikramaditya went to sea just twice and both times it was just off the coast of India.

I didn't have time to look before 2019. But I would bet it was just as bad then. There were refits in 2018 and 2016. The ship was only formally inducted in 2014!

Being a "harbor queen" is an understatement for this Indian carrier. I expect the same for their new Vikrant carrier which is already very late on delivery.

Indian carrier "experience" is purely dockside.

Last edited:
Indian military at its best. From taking credit from what rag tag gorilla group did to being corrupt. No force like the Indian force.

Indian bragging is hilarious.

Compared to the Vikramaditya being at sea for two weeks out of 34 months, the two Chinese carriers are constantly out at sea:

D321312C-4175-41F9-BB1D-B6F0A40E27A0.jpeg

4DE3747C-06A5-4E39-A370-C2E9E9B2329B.jpeg

B6CE63E6-C7A3-40D0-A509-286B724825E3.jpeg

AC4E0E24-216B-473F-BC27-9913C2EC4EFA.jpeg

93AEDABF-29AE-4FE1-9AF5-526B08C0FD5F.jpeg

Liaoning returned to its home port of Qingdao on Thursday after 20 days of training in the region. The carrier and five other warships carried out combat exercises in the Yellow and East China seas and the western Pacific Ocean.

There had been no equivalent training for Indian carrier arm since their sole "working" carrier had been stuck in port for over a year now.

Two Weeks in two years is still not bad by Indian standards, something is better then nothing.. :)

It is actually even worse than that. It went to sea just twice in the 36 months between 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Also, people are generous in rounding up up to a week each for the TROPEX 19 exercise in 2019 and the Malabar exercise in 2020. But the Malabar exercise, for example, only lasted three days in the Bay of Bengal.

So in all probability, the Vikramaditya only sailed about six or seven DAYS in three years from 2019 to 2021. And right now, the Indian carrier had been port bound for 13 straight months since Malabar 2020.

China meanwhile has such an active carrier fleet with two carriers sailing to the South China Sea or the Western Pacific that you can follow them through the satellite pictures on Twitter every month. lol

There is no doubt now that China has far more experience on launching and teapping aircraft on modern assisted recovery carriers than India. India's so-called "experience" prior to Vikramaditya was VTOL with the Harriers. So with Vikramaditya being a harbor queen for years on end, I don't see how Indians can gain any experience.

It is actually even worse than that. It went to sea just twice in the 36 months between 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Also, people are generous in rounding up up to a week each for the TROPEX 19 exercise in 2019 and the Malabar exercise in 2020. But the Malabar exercise, for example, only lasted three days in the Bay of Bengal.

So in all probability, the Vikramaditya only sailed about six or seven DAYS in three years from 2019 to 2021. And right now, the Indian carrier had been port bound for 13 straight months since Malabar 2020.

China meanwhile has such an active carrier fleet with two carriers sailing to the South China Sea or the Western Pacific that you can follow them through the satellite pictures on Twitter every month. lol

There is no doubt now that China has far more experience on launching and teapping aircraft on modern assisted recovery carriers than India. India's so-called "experience" prior to Vikramaditya was VTOL with the Harriers. So with Vikramaditya being a harbor queen for years on end, I don't see how Indians can gain any experience.

the indian response is they use simulators...

CV 16 just finished 20 days of exercises in the East China and Yellow Seas and Western Pacific before the New Year.
00966A25-C370-4CF2-ACBE-CCE2F7AFEB67.jpeg

Now CV 17 is going out again less than a week later.
4A1F6785-CB36-4C4F-AF1C-59CC22FCDF5F.jpeg

Meanwhile, the sole "operational" Indian carrier Vikramaditya is still stuck in port for the 13th straight month. It hadn't sailed at all in 2021. Let's see if it can get out of port in 2022.

So much carrier "experience" for the Indian Navy. LOL

CV-17 Shandong is patroling and training in the South China Sea right now.

99258FB5-73F0-4EAA-B016-65F60F9B16FB.jpeg

The "operational" Indian carrier, Vikramaditya, is still stuck in port for the 14th straight month.

There is little doubt now that the Chinese carrier arm is the most active and affective in Asia. Indian bragging about "experience" is hilarious when you are stuck in port.

CV-17 Shandong is patroling and training in the South China Sea right now.

View attachment 809806

The "operational" Indian carrier, Vikramaditya, is still stuck in port for the 14th straight month.

There is little doubt now that the Chinese carrier arm is the most active and affective in Asia. Indian bragging about "experience" is hilarious when you are stuck in port.
If Indian navy are killing themselves at the dry dock, I can't imagine what they do to themselves out in the ocean.

If Indian navy are killing themselves at the dry dock, I can't imagine what they do to themselves out in the ocean.

Hence, they have hired the Gurkas, Last Afgans etc. to do the fighting for them. The rest can be managed by their "social media" army. Cunning folks....

Lol. They've made a mess with the Vikramaditya with three accidents including two fires while harbor-queening at Karwar:

1) June 10, 2016 at Karwar, toxic leak killed 2 during refit (one of many already even though the ship was commissioned only in November, 2013!)

2) April 26, 2019 at Karwar, fire killed an IN Lieutenant

3) May 8, 2021 at Karwar, fire -- at least no one died

It also had a fire in its engine boilers in 2012 during trials.

This thing has only been with the Indian Navy for 8 years. Wait till it gets "older."

Back
Top Bottom