What's new

Opinionated - China Chipping Away to Semiconductor Dominance

2019 vs 2020 of local market share for production of flashdrive , semi con production and ram has huge different. Take those report using 2019 data about China digital industries with a pinch of salt. They do not really reflect the current Chinese digital revolution going thru. I know 2020 SK semi con export to China suffer a mega drop. But they are very keen to retain the China market and are very sincere to collaborate and share tech on semi con.

I also do not wish to see China becoming an export only country. China need to import certain percentage of products to maintain global influence.

2019 vs 2020 of local market share for production of flashdrive , semi con production and ram has huge different. Take those report using 2019 data about China digital industries with a pinch of salt. They do not really reflect the current Chinese digital revolution going thru. I know 2020 SK semi con export to China suffer a mega drop. But they are very keen to retain the China market and are very sincere to collaborate and share tech on semi con.

I also do not wish to see China becoming an export only country. China need to import certain percentage of products to maintain global influence.

I hope China makes everything for China for starters. Then China can trade, import iPhones competing with Huawei. And buying up foreign electric cars, in exchange for trade and commerce. China has to negotiate from a position of strength and then make concessions in trade to be part of the global economy.

SK has access to China's market, if China has access to SK market. That is a much bigger win for SK. And Chinese are keen to buy the best quality product, forcing manufacturers worldwide to make the highest quality to compete. This is a win for consumers across the globe.

China can't be bullied economically if she makes everything for herself. Then if China is punished with a 1.4 billion Chinese consumer economy, China can continue to grow from that to GDP of 40 or 60 trillion USD.

Last edited:
Unisoc unveils 5G RF solution to bring more design space to thin phones
2020-11-09 22:00:48 GMT+8 | cnTechPost

1604974620140.jpeg

Unisoc, a Chinese fabless semiconductor company, today introduced its 5G RF front-end solution, a modular design that reduces channel loss by 15% over the industry average and reduces the size by 20%, enabling more design space for thin and slim smartphones.

Compared to most solutions, the Unisoc 5G RF front-end solution is a complete solution, offering a full range of active chips and devices for the entire RF front-end.

Unisoc said the overall lead time from customer reference design through device selection, matching and debugging, and volume production tracking is 20% shorter than the industry average, significantly reducing product development time and simplifying development for OEMs.

b690f11a5d72339483d67336b308a518.jpeg

Unisoc 5G RF shortens the response time from 5us in 4G to 1us, so that the terminal signal remains stable even on a speeding high-speed train, according to the company.

At the same power, Unisoc power amplifiers consume 4 percent less power than competing products - far more than the industry average. They operate 10 minutes longer at maximum power transmission and 20 minutes longer at normal power transmission.

Unisoc 5G RF front-end solutions support the world's leading 5G frequency bands, including N77, N78, N79, N41, N28, and N1, meeting the diverse needs of the global market for 5G high, mid and low bands.

Last edited:
Chinese chip maker Unisoc says phones with its 6nm 5G chip will be mass-produced next year
2020-11-11 21:29:18 GMT+8 | cnTechPost

1f6ea23002c374ac481ca17125ae7aeb.jpg

Mobile phones with Unisoc's 6nm 5G chip Tiger T7520 will be mass-produced next year, Zhou Chen, vice-president of the Chinese fabless semiconductor company, said in an interview with several Chinese media outlets today.

Zhou said the T7520 will soon reach commercial sample status, and Unisoc is putting a lot of resources into this product." This product is a very important root for our whole 5G, especially for consumer-oriented products. Our subsequent planning based on the T7520 is for a series of 5G SoC products, which are also all on the way."

Following the accelerated rollout of 5G network and base station products by Chinese telecom operators and equipment manufacturers, local Chinese mobile phone chip designers have also picked up the pace.

During the 2020 Unisoc Market Summit, the company unveiled the Unicom second-generation 5G CPE VN007+ with its 5G chips, the 5G RF front-end complete solution, the NB-IoT chip V8811 for 5G R16, the smart cabin chip solution A7862, the vehicle-grade dual-band positioning chip A2395, and the flagship smartwatch platform W517.

Unisoc is launching the first 5G technology platform Makalu 1.0 and 5G baseband chip Chunteng V510 as early as February 2019 at MWC in Barcelona, with which 5G mobile phones, 5G CPE, 5G modules, and other mobile terminals have been commercially launched.

In February 2020, Unisoc will launch its second-generation 5G smartphone platform, the Tiger T7520, which is the first 5G SoC with 6nm EUV.

Commenting on why Unisoc chose the 6nm process, Unisoc CEO Qing Chu said, "EUV has brought Moore's Law back to life. The first process node in the industry to use EUV was 7nm, and we chose 6nm because of the more mature applications and ample availability of EUV."

At present, some mainstream 5G mobile phone chips are successively using 5-nanometer solutions, but the first generation of advanced manufacturing processes tend to have higher trial and error costs, "The use of EUV in 5nm is much more than 6nm and 7nm, but it will bring new questions, that is, can it reduce the cost or not?" Chu mentioned.

Konka Soars on Plan to Build USD4.5 Billion Semiconductor Industrial Park in Nanchang

Tang Shihua

(Yicai Global) Nov. 12 -- Konka Group’s share price hit the exchange-imposed upper trading limit of 10 percent today on the news that it is to build a CNY30 billion (USD4.5 billion) semiconductor industrial park with the local government in Nanchang, eastern Jiangxi province. The move seals the Chinese TV maker’s entry into the chipmaking sector.

Shenzhen-based Konka’s stock [SHE:000016] was trading up at 6 percent at 2 p.m. China time at CNY7.05 (USD1). It had earlier reached CNY7.32.

The electronics giant has signed an agreement with the administrative committee of the Nanchang Economic and Technological Development Zone to build a semiconductor industrial park with a total investment of CNY30 billion, Konka said yesterday. The construction will take place in two phases over a 10-year period.

The industrial park will run a number of semiconductors and related industrial chain projects and serve as an incubation platform for R&D teams and start-ups. No further details were given.

The two parties will set up a CNY2 billion fund to invest in enterprises in the park using a market-oriented method, Konka said.

These goals will help improve the company’s positioning in the semiconductor industry, enhance its influence within the sector and shift its business focus towards ‘semiconductor + new consumer electronics + technology park,’ it added.

Konka is also investing in semiconductor industrial parks in Hefei, southeastern Anhui province and Chongqing, southwestern Sichuan province. The firm has previously said it aims to rank among the best semiconductor companies in the world within the next five to 10 years.

Yangtze Memory's 64-layer 3D NAND is used in Huawei Mate 40
2020-11-20 19:56:04 GMT+8 | cnTechPost

Yangtze Memory's 64-layer 3D NAND is used in Huawei Mate 40-cnTechPost

Although Yangtze Memory's 64-layer 3DNAND is only its first product, it is already being used in the Mate40's flagship device, Yang Shining, CEO of the Chinese memory chipmaker under the umbrella of Tsinghua Unigroup.

Yang mentioned this during his presentation at the 2020 Beijing International Conference on Microelectronics and IC World, held this week in Beijing.

Yang said that Yangtze Memory's 64-layer 3DNAND for the Mate40 illustrates the synergy between the Chinese semiconductor industry chain and the long-term opportunities for future development.

Yang also demonstrated the Xtacking technology, saying that Yangtze Memory is also at the forefront of the international semiconductor industry in this regard.

In addition, Yangtze Memory also announced its roadmap, "Yangtze Memory 3 years walked the road others walked in 6 years" Yangtze Memory's 128 layers of storage (TLC/QLC) is advancing.

Huawei Mate 40 Pro Teardown

- Huawei’s self-developed SFS 1.0 flash memory

- A never-before-seen Chengyan K3LK3K3 LPDDR5 SDRAM

ovu83BV.png

My next phone will be Huawei, and the next of next will always be Huawei.

My next phone will be Huawei, and the next of next will always be Huawei.

My phone now Huawei P3 Pro that I bought a year and a half ago. :yay:

When the bullying attempts by Murica was too much for me to stomach and I just
had to vote with my wallet.:enjoy:

P30 Pro was even better than I thought and I happily will remain with it for a long time.

And before that, my phone was a XiaoMi:-)

Shanghai firm's chips could end monopoly
By Li Qian
19:03 UTC+8, 2020-12-08

The first domestically developed LCOS chips have moved into mass production, raising hopes of breaking a monopoly in the field.

LCOS, or Liquid Crystal On Silicon, is a micro display chip made by a combination of silicon-based material and liquid crystal technology. It’s essential in the electronic information industry, widely used in display applications such as projectors, laser TV and AR and VR glasses.

The annual potential demand for LCOS chips is over hundreds of millions. But the field has long been monopolized by the US and Japan. Shanghai HXC Industry Co is expected to spell the end to that situation.

HXC developed the country’s first LCOS chips last year. Over the past year, the company have worked to improved their performance, and mass production began this month, a move Li Kun, the company’s general managed, described as a great leap forward.

Zheng Weimin, an academician from the Chinese Academy of Engineering, said: “Very few domestic companies are engaged in designing and developing LCOS chips. It has a high entry threshold, but it also has bright market prospects.”

Back
Top Bottom