What's new

One Turkish villager killed on Iranian border

Jigs

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Sunday, December 12, 2010
VAN - DOĞAN news agency

One villager was killed, another injured and a third is missing along the Turkish-Iranian border after Iranian soldiers allegedly opened fire on Sunday.

Three villagers from the eastern province of Van’s Esenyamaç village, on the Iranian border, crossed the border to fetch their animals which reportedly had crossed to the Iranian side. Mehmet Keskin, 19, died at the scene, while 18-year-old Zakir Turgut was injured. Akif Yıldız, 24, went missing after the incident. Turgut was brought to the city of Van by other villagers and hospitalized.

“Three citizens searched for their sheep when the animals did not come back. Iranian soldiers opened fire. This year approximately 20 citizens have died [in a similar manner]. No one has asked why those people are dying,” said Namer Parlak, the district head of the main opposition Republican People’s Party, or CHP.

“How can those citizens live here? Each time they come towards border, will they be killed? If that is the case we [should] evacuate the village. The person who died was a young man newly married.”

My condolences to the victim.

This situation is awfully similar to the one where Iranian coast guard opened fire and shot three Pakistanis at sea in the head. I think investigations should be launched to find out why Iranian soldiers are opening fire on it's fellow neighboring people and killing them. Some people suggest these are drug routes, surely not everyone of the victims are drug dealers. I understand on the Turkish-Iranian border there are nearby farming communities hence it is important for more cooperation by both countries.

Though I disagree with the title of this thread "Turkish villager killed on Iranian border" No he was killed at the "Turkish-Iranian border" and vice versa its not like Iran is the sole owner of the border.

Sad news, a similar incident took place on the Pakistani border with Iran recently, shot 3 guys in the head directly, Iranian govt. really should do something about their border guards, they are getting out of hand shooting anyone that comes in sight.

Iranian soldiers are really paranoid about their border..they ought to be on the face of all these american announcements to infiltrate iran and step up secret ops. At this time iran needs friends and trusted neighbors not become an irritant with its assertive outlook.

Imagine Pak and Turk border guards start shooting back or detaining Iranian vessels or let American / NATO take counter measure, surveillance posts or cargo scanning?

I think we should station border guards on our side as to protect our civilians.

Iranian soldiers are really paranoid about their border..they ought to be on the face of all these american announcements to infiltrate iran and step up secret ops. At this time iran needs friends and trusted neighbors not become an irritant with its assertive outlook.

Imagine Pak and Turk border guards start shooting back or detaining Iranian vessels or let American / NATO take counter measure, surveillance posts or cargo scanning?

Iran soldiers always confirm nationality before shooting.
They never killed westerners violating their borders on regular basis.

Iran soldiers always confirm nationality before shooting.
They never killed westerners violating their borders on regular basis.

westerners are worth more alive then dead.

And this has been happening forever. Warn your people about the consequences of getting near the Iranian borders. The Iranian border guards are paranoid for good reason. Every year we loose 5000+ border guards because of smugglers. The poor border guards have an AK on their back while the smugglers have state of the art weapons. When the guards see somebody they don't risk anything. They shoot on sight. We have huge borders. On top of that, they're ll with countries that pose a risk to Iran. We have drug smugglers coming in and out from Afg/Pak, we have PKK coming in and out from Turkey and then there are the Kurdish smygglers as well, we have all sorts of people coming in and out of Iraq....

Every year we loose 5000+ border guards because of smugglers.
Sorry, i didn't knew that!
I such case i can expect such strong reaction.
But, how come smugglers are better equipped and resourceful than Iran border guards.

Sorry, i didn't knew that!
I such case i can expect such strong reaction.
But, how come smugglers are better equipped and resourceful than Iran border guards.

Smugglers work for drug lords. Those drug lords have unlimited funds and will provide anything for their men. They carry night vision equipment, American weapons... while the border guards only have an AK on their shouldier. They also happen to be conscripts who are serving their two year manditory service. As to why, well, look at the map of Iran. The borders are HUGE. You can't provide state of the art weapons for all those people. There are tens of thousands of guards.

Back
Top Bottom