What's new

Olive Plantation in Pakistan

Farming is quite interesting profession but requires alot of work and also buying land is quite expensive

I always felt Pakistan can also grow , Trees such as coconut tree for oil/and nutritional food source , it is also used in cooking purpose the weather in Pakistan is so perfect for it
Specially the coastal cities and Zones

But nice to see the Olive being grown locally , I did hear that the Olive grown out in Palestine area was /is is quite well known in market as well of course it is being reduced but the same variety could be grown in Pakistan

Last edited:
WTF foreigners are doing in this area? are they teaching Pakistanis how to irrigate a plant?
Why should they not.
They are teaching proper pruning methods.
Some verities produce fruit on old wood other on New. Proper pruning can effect getting capability of the tree.
If not pruned, it would not produce much fruit and if wrongly pruned it would produce no fruit.
And why would have have problems with foreigners. Our agriculture is practically in dark ages.
We need new technologies and people who can guide us with modern methods.

Hey some is from Barani institute.
I need to use tissue culture lab....
Or I need some scientist their to do some tissue culture propagation for me.
Do anybody know....
Please also focus on Balochistan. The government there seem not to work .
Seen the interview of new cm. He looks like he belong to the sloth family. He seems so dim and slow.
Vast amount of land and no water. This is prefect for Balochistan .venter can give them package.
In ptv they used to show programs for silk production, fish farm, mushroom farm etc...
Something like that should start also in private Channels.
Make it mandatory by law that such educational programs are shown by private TV channels.

@Pakistansdefender

To add to what you said, sir, we must remember that olive trees (at least the cultivated varieties) are not really native to our parts of the world, the Mediterranean is. Taking advice and tech from Italians, Greeks, Spaniards etc who are leaders in this crop is nothing to be ashamed of. (I would have added Israel to this list, they are helping India in this, but that of course wont be kosher, so I omit)

Regards

zatoon.jpg

Can you guys tell me how much is the price of olive oil per litre in your market ?? How much is imported??

Here in India I buy it for about $12-15 per litre. We basically use it for salad dressings or flavourings. We don't use it for deep frying of our desi food.

It is mostly imported because of limited production of olive oil in the country. About 6000 tons is imported with growth of 25-50% annually.

India tops the chart for Heart disease. With increasing awareness of its benefits, adoption of olive oil is only going to go up.

I think your number are off. Total production of olive oil in world is about 3 million tons.
Friend, i will tell you that maize oil is better than olive oil for heart conditions. You can check any scientific literature. No need to get the expensive olive oil. If your salad is good in terms of taste there is no need to use any flavouring.

Olive Cultivation in Pakistan

The olive, known by the botanical name Olean Europaea, meaning "European olive", is a species of small tree in the family Oleaceae, found in much of Africa, The olive tree, Olea Europaea, is an evergreen tree or shrub native, to the Mediterranean, Asia and Africa. It is short, squat and rarely exceeds 8-15 m in height. The Pisciottano, a unique variety comprising of 40,000 trees found only in the area around Pisciotta in the Campania region of southern Italy often exceeds this, height with correspondingly large trunk diameters. The silvery green leaves are oblong, measuring 4-10 cm (1.6-3.9 inch) long and 1-3 cm (0.39-1.18 inch) wide. The trunk is typically gnarled and twisted.
The small white, feathery flowers, with ten-cleft calyx and corolla, two stamens and bifid stigma, are borne generally on the previous year's wood, in racemes springing from the axils of the leaves. The fruit is a small drupe 1-2.5 cm (0.39-0.98 inch) long, thinner-fleshed and smaller in wild plants than in orchard cultivars. Olives are harvested in the green to purple stage. Canned black olives may contain chemicals (usually ferrous sulfate) that artificially turn them black. Olea Europaea contains a seed commonly referred in American English as a pit or a rock, and in British English as a stone.
Agro-Climatic, Nutritional and Other Requirement for Olive Cultivation: A deep fertile soil and temperatures averaging 50°F but not going below 14°F are desirable. Irrigation is often necessary although the plant bears drought to a great extent in irrigated areas. Olive trees need winter rest for 60-80 days to differentiate flower buds and an average temperature of 7°C. About 500-1000 hours are required in the winters depending upon the cultivars. The maximum absolute temperature should not exceed 20°C during November to February. It can tolerate gradual drop of temperature up to -10°C for a short period. The best olive production and fruit quality occurs in areas having mild winter and long warm dry summer. The neutral and light saline soils with 5% clay particles are suitable for the olive with the best soil pH range 5.6-8.5. It should not be less than 6 and more than 8. The plant requires nitrogen but Boron deficiency could cause a serious problem during its growth.

Land Preparation:

Soil should be well ploughed before plantation of olive. Pits of size 2.5 X 2.5 feet should be dug a month before plantation. It should be filled with Matti : Bhal : FYM at ratio of 1:1:1.
Planting Time: Trees can be planted during spring and fall. However fall is best if there is no likelihood of frost during winter.

Planting Geometry:

Trees are planted in square with equal line to line and plant to plant distance. 6x6, 7X7 or 8X8 meter distance yields best results. There may be 80 to 110 trees in an acre.
Irrigation Requirements: Although Olive is a hardy tree, yet it requires timely irrigation during the early two years. In Barani areas annual rainfall should be between 400-500 mm. If it does not rain, trees should be irrigated twice or thrice in a year.

1. Before Flowering
  2. After Flowering
  3. 30-45 days before fruit maturing
Fertilizer Requirement:

Phosphorous + Potash at rate of 300 + 200/ Hectare at time of land preparation, repeated after 3-4 Years. Fertilizer requirement from sowing to flowering is given as below.

1.jpg

Harvesting of Fruit:

Olive fruit matures during August to September. Harvesting is accomplished by following methods: Picking singly: Good quality oil, expensive mode shaking branches and collecting of dropped fruit

Mechanically: Machine grips trunk and shakes branches, 80% harvesting.

Preparation of oil:

Fruits are harvested during October when these are purplish, later on these are mechanically crushed to get oil.

Management of Insect Pests and Diseases Attacking Olive Tree and Fruits:

Pesticide recommended for the management of Insect pests and diseases are given below:

2.jpg

3.jpg

Need for Olive Cultivation in Pakistan

The total domestic consumption of edible oil is around 1.9 million tones, out of which 1.3 million tone is being imported from abroad. As many as Rs 28 billion are being spent on the import of edible oil every year. The total production of banola oil is around 450,000 tones, sunflower 77,000 tones, canola 32,000 tones and other seeds are 700 tons per year in the country. Hence, 70% oil is being imported against local production of 30%.

Bookleat
http://atd.ztbl.com.pk/Documents/Publication/Brochures/zaitoon_ki_kasht.pdf
Good article; only question is adoption and incentive. Olive trees take a long time to mature for producing fruit.

In Pakistan it's same figure in US$,15 to 17 USD$ per litre.
That is too expensive? Here good quality oil either from Portugal or Morocco is around $8/litre.
Be careful, there are different grades; what is mostly sold in many countries is Pomace oil which is bad bad for consumption but people dont realise the difference in grades. When buying make sure it is not pomace.

That is too expensive? Here good quality oil either from Portugal or Morocco is around $8/litre.
Be careful, there are different grades; what is mostly sold in many countries is Pomace oil which is bad bad for consumption but people dont realise the difference in grades. When buying make sure it is not pomace.
Thanks for Advice:enjoy:

Most awaited step ... We have more or less similar environment like Israel and Spain both are major exporter of Olive products -
So any news on how Pakistani olive oil tastes?

Also, how durable are the trees? The U.S. used to grow olives in the southeast Atlantic states but bad weather - cold in winter, hurricanes in the summer - wiped the trees out every few decades. California does grow some olives but it seems their oils lose taste within a few months to a year.

Friend, i will tell you that maize oil is better than olive oil for heart conditions. You can check any scientific literature. No need to get the expensive olive oil. If your salad is good in terms of taste there is no need to use any flavouring.

Good article; only question is adoption and incentive. Olive trees take a long time to mature for producing fruit.

We call it corn oil here. Yes I am aware of the benefits of corn oil in lowering LDL cholesterol. We do use a variety of vegetable oils like corn, groundnut, sunflower, canola etc. Olive oil in my opinion is overrated and overpriced.

How long does the olive tree take to mature? Why not use grafting??

We call it corn oil here. Yes I am aware of the benefits of corn oil in lowering LDL cholesterol. We do use a variety of vegetable oils like corn, groundnut, sunflower, canola etc. Olive oil in my opinion is overrated and overpriced.

How long does the olive tree take to mature? Why not use grafting??
ok. you are using US naming convention there.
Olive oil has its benefits but it is a matter of preference as it yields a lot of grades which can be used for multiple things.
Olive tree can take decades to mature; first 5 -10 years before you get fruit. Grafting is not possible on it.

@Pakistansdefender

To add to what you said, sir, we must remember that olive trees (at least the cultivated varieties) are not really native to our parts of the world, the Mediterranean is. Taking advice and tech from Italians, Greeks, Spaniards etc who are leaders in this crop is nothing to be ashamed of. (I would have added Israel to this list, they are helping India in this, but that of course wont be kosher, so I omit)

Regards

For your kind information, wild olive trees have existed in the Zhob valley of Baluchistan for a long time. During the British times Zhob town was known as Fort Sandeman. Perhaps that is how it is still shown in the Indian Geography books.

upload_2018-2-6_16-10-26.png

Most of Pakistan [west of Indus] is perfect for Olive plant as the region has similar weather to the Mediteranean. What is required is the effort and skills.

Most of Pakistan [west of Indus] is perfect for Olive plant as the region has similar weather to the Mediteranean. What is required is the effort and skills.

Uh. Not some areas of Baluchistan. It's get really hot. I remember reading that in the desert areas of Baluchistan, the temperature gets so hot that when the wind blows animals end up dying. That was something I read as a kid, so I'm not sure how true it is because I don't even recall the source.

Back
Top Bottom