What's new

Olive and olive oil production in KSA

That sounds really interesting. Thank you for sharing this. The time period you are talking about is way before I was born. Nice to know that it was great back then as well.

Yes, that area of KSA is very beautiful but it is not the coldest. Generally speaking the northern regions/provinces of KSA are colder especially during winter. But during summer the mountainous regions of KSA are colder despite being located much more southernly.

Yes, the agricultural areas are in abundance. Coffee, tea, banana, ananas and other tropical fruits are growing there without any problems and are even native. The watermelons are especially great and so are the oranges and citrus fruits.

I don't like pomegranate so I have not tasted those but they grow in most of KSA.

You might see those places you spent some time in below in this thread:

Saudi Arabia in Pictures | Page 44

Thanks for a informative thread. KSA looks beautiful, clean and organized.

I have been using olive oil regularly for a decade now and I have seen its use rise dramatically among the health conscious. Its health benefits are open secrets now. This commodity will only rise in price as more people adopt it.

Thanks for a informative thread. KSA looks beautiful, clean and organized.

I have been using olive oil regularly for a decade now and I have seen its use rise dramatically among the health conscious. Its health benefits are open secrets now. This commodity will only rise in price as more people adopt it.

Thanks. It does in most of the places. I am talking about the clean and organized part.

It is the most healthy oil IMO and most tasty. I am right now eating a dish with Saudi Arabian olives - green ones.

I know that olive oil is not popular in South Asia but mostly in the Arab world and the European part of the Mediterranean region but I believe that this will slowly change.

Thanks. It does in most of the places. I am talking about the clean and organized part.

It is the most healthy oil IMO and most tasty. I am right now eating a dish with Saudi Arabian olives - green ones.

I know that olive oil is not popular in South Asia but mostly in the Arab world and the European part of the Mediterranean region but I believe that this will slowly change.

And whats the price of lets say 1 liter of virgin olive oil there? Do you have any info about it mate? And those trees look really healthy and firm..Learnt something today!! My assumption about KSA being all desert goes to thrash bin now :D

Don't know which idiot told you that this was even the case to begin with.:D

Take a look below or in this very thread.;)

Saudi Arabia in Pictures | Page 44

Well, from what I can remember (I have lived abroad for quite some years) then about 8-10 riyals was the price. But it depends with extra virgin olive oil you are talking about and whether you buy it at supermarkets, open bazaars/markets or smaller shops.

But in general living in KSA is very cheap.

Palestinians to give training in the art of making pickles in Saudi Arabia

16lixhj.jpg

JEDDAH: ARAB NEWS

Published — Saturday 14 December 2013

Last update 14 December 2013 3:57 am

The farms in the north of Saudi Arabia are rich in raisins and olives but the people are unaware of the techniques of pickling and preservation of these precious fruits to make them last through the year. This has prompted farmers to seek the expertise of residents from the nearby Levant countries.
Saeed Fraih Shaiman, director of the Social Development Center in Jabah, Hail, said the center is about to start training workshops for housewives to teach them various ways of preserving olive products. The courses will be conducted in cooperation with residents from the Levant, who will transfer their expertise to Saudi women, he said.
A number of housewives in northern Saudi Arabia talked to the newspaper about the extent of their knowledge of preserving olives.
“We don’t know how people in the Levant pickle olives and other products and make homemade jams. We can only use our farms’ produce during harvest time. Even though we have an abundant fig and grape production that can be used to make jams and raisins, women here don’t know how to preserve them. As a result, the harvest is mostly spoiled and thrown away,” said Um Muhammad.
Um Mohammad called on social development bodies to hold educational workshops which will show them how to preserve their farm produce.
Abu Fahad said he has an agreement with his friends from Levant countries residing in the northern part of the Kingdom: He picks the olives and gives them the harvest; their wives preserve and pickle the olives, and when they are ready, he takes half of the amount. He said farms in the north are rich in agricultural products like olives, but farmers’ lack of knowledge about preserving and exploiting these products fully leads to a large proportion of them being wasted. Many people seek the help of Levant nationals in this respect, he said.
Aeedah Al-Khalid, a Palestinian woman said preserving olives is fairly easy, but it requires knowledge and experience. For instance, green olives have to be slit open to rid them of the bitter taste. They are then washed and placed in salted water. The water has to be changed every two days for a period of 10 days. The olives are then placed in a jar with lemons, hot peppers and salted water.
“Black olives are washed, sprinkled with bicarbonates and left for a week. After the bitter taste is gone, the olives are washed in hot water and placed in a jar with salted water, or olive oil,” she said.
“Black olives can also be preserved by washing the olives sprinkled with a generous amount of salt, and placed in a bag with holes in it (onion bag). They are then hanged for two weeks to dispose of the bitter taste, washed again and placed in olive oil, salt, lemon and hot peppers,” she said, adding “olives can keep up to one year if they are preserved in the right way.”

Palestinians to give training in the art of making pickles | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

no no i am better with copoliva spainish oil hheheeheh they need more adovtisment dear becasue we blind follow only TV radio and media :frown: since i arrived KSA i am using ALARBI cooking oil ALMARAI dairy products and copoliva olive products because i think they are best :angel:

no no i am better with copoliva spainish oil hheheeheh they need more adovtisment dear becasue we blind follow only TV radio and media :frown: since i arrived KSA i am using ALARBI cooking oil ALMARAI dairy products and copoliva olive products because i think they are best :angel:

LOL, those are all well-known products indeed.

The Saudi Arabian oil is popular in the northern areas and also in the remaining country but if we want to reach more than top 20 in the world in terms of production we need to be better to advertise the products and increase productions from abut 30 million olive trees to 60 million or so.;)
There is big potential.

Al-Jouf olive complex provides seeds and training to farmers

Al%20-Jouf%20olive%20plantation.jpg

An olive plantation in Al-Jouf. (SPA)

JEDDAH: MD AL-SULAMI

Published - Wednesday 15 January 2014

Last update 15 January 2014 3:00 am

The Kingdom has established an olive complex in Al-Jouf, with more than 30 of the world’s most important and popular varieties, to provide seeds and technical expertise to farmers in various parts of the country.
This provides support for farmers in olive-producing regions in the country. Olives are an important source of food and a good source of healthy fats.
These efforts are part of a larger project to develop the olive industry in the Kingdom currently being implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture and the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO).
Al-Hashimi Al-Mehri, a senior FAO technical expert in olive production, said that the project began in 2011 and would continue through 2016 to improve olive cultivation in the Kingdom and increase the acreage of high quality olive varieties that are also appropriate to the environment.
It also involves providing training and technical support to farmers on modern technologies and scientific farming operations, he said.
Al-Mehri said that the project has a budget of $3.5 million, financed by Saudi Arabia through a funding agreement signed between the agriculture ministry and the FAO.
He said the project would identify olives of commercial importance, train engineers and technicians on how to maintain olive production fields, operate pest control systems, educate farmers on modern planting techniques, and introduce advanced technology for irrigation, fertilization and harvesting.
Al-Mehri said a pilot unit for olive oil extraction and quality control was also established under the project with modern equipment. An olive compressor unit has been set up to enable technicians to carry out research on modern techniques.
Al-Mehri said the project would increase olive production by providing consultancy services suitable to different climates across the Kingdom. Services include the use of mechanization in harvesting, appropriate pruning techniques and identifying water needs.
The technical cooperation between the ministry and the FAO began in 1950, with experts sent to the Kingdom in 1952 to study irrigation in Wadi Jazan. They also inked an agreement for agricultural training in Riyadh, research in Qatif and veterinary training in Hofuf.

Al-Jouf olive complex provides seeds and training to farmers | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Saudi Arabian food companies praised at Berlin expo

BERLIN: ARAB NEWS

Published — Sunday 19 January 2014

Last update 19 January 2014 12:21 am

Fifteen Saudi companies producing dates, dairy products, shrimp, caviar, olive oil and poultry opened their displays in Berlin on Friday, drawing praise from Minister of Agriculture Fahd Balghuneim.
He said the displays were a “shining” example of Saudi farming expertise. It would help international buyers see high quality produce, including various types of dates, and open doors for exports from the Kingdom.
He was speaking while opening the Saudi pavilion at the Berlin International Agriculture Exhibition on Friday, according to a statement released by the ministry to the Saudi Press Agency. More than 180 countries are participating in the exhibition.

Saudi food companies praised at Berlin expo | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Last edited:
The olive harvesting season is soon approaching in all of the Northern Regions of KSA. A month from now or so it will begin. I wish that I could take part. Hopefully ISIS stays away.:D

Are there any Saudi Arabian members from the Northern regions here? I don't think so. Specifically the Tabuk, Jawf and Northern Borders regions? If so report here!

@Arabian Legend @JUBA @Yzd Khalifa @Full Moon @Bubblegum Crisis @Mosamania @Awadd @burning_phoneix @tyrant @Tihamah @Altamimi @fahd tamimi @Rakan.SA etc.

Please take a look at those regional agriculture companies and support them if possible.

Tabuk Agriculture Development Company: TADAWUL:6040 quotes & news - Google Finance

Women successfully operate olive plant

3d73c4aeca4b55341f01c1852532b193.jpg

A female worker works at a factory for pickling olives in the northern city of Tabuk. — File photo
Saudi Gazette report

TABUK — Saudi women are operating and managing an olive processing plant producing olive derivatives, Makkah daily reported.
The head of the plant’s women’s section, Helyah Al-Bluwi, said female workers are producing 10 tons of olives a month, equivalent to 45 to 50 kilos a worker each day.

She said the plant’s products are 100 percent natural and no chemicals are added.

The plant produces top-grade olive oil and the women workers have suggested some improvements that have benefited the plant.

The plant currently produces natural and lemon and garlic flavored olive oil in addition to a variety of olive salads.

The chairman of the plant, Ghurman Al-Amri, said he is proud of the work and productivity of these women.

He pointed out that the women received three months training, after which they were employed.

Al-Amri said the management is planning to expand the women’s section and increase the number of female workers due to their success.

Women successfully operate olive plant | Kingdom | Saudi Gazette

Farming must not be looked down upon. It is a very honorable job.

We should plant olive trees whenever possible! Don't forget that the olive tree is a especially blessed tree in Islam and in our history but in some regions almost forgotten. A shame.

@BLACKEAGLE @Halimi

We need your guys expertise a bit here!

Interesting you posted this. When I was in Jordan a few years ago and saw the extraordinary emphasis on olive trees and oil, I wondered why the same couldn't be replicated in north Saudi or East Egypt (Sinai) on a similar scale considering the similarity of climate and, I'm assuming, soil characteristics.

I have half my answer. Of course, Sinai has olive trees aplenty, not sure if it's on an industrial level though.

Interesting you posted this. When I was in Jordan a few years ago and saw the extraordinary emphasis on olive trees and oil, I wondered why the same couldn't be replicated in north Saudi or East Egypt (Sinai) on a similar scale considering the similarity of climate and, I'm assuming, soil characteristics.

I have half my answer. Of course, Sinai has olive trees aplenty, not sure if it's on an industrial level though.

Actually olive trees have always grown in the Northern Regions of KSA. They are a native tree to that region.
Parts of what is now modern-day Northern KSA are geographically and historically part of the Levant and the climate is not much different from neighboring Jordan, Palestine and most parts of Syria. There might be slightly smaller levels of rainfall but this is compensated with big underground water reserves. If you take a look at Google Maps you will see areas almost the size of Lebanon that are just used for agriculture in the Northern Regions of KSA.

Currently KSA is also in the top 15 in terms of producers of olives and olive oil but most is produced for local consumption and some exports to Arab countries. But in the Arab world alone Syrian/Lebanese/Jordanian olive oil is still preferred but Northern KSA can make the same quality olive oil with the right investments. This part of the culture has almost been completely forgotten until it began resurfacing a few decades ago. Outside of the few towns, villages, families etc. dealing with olive production. Now each decade millions upon millions of olive trees are planted in new and modern farm projects.

KSA is a huge country after all and people, even inside KSA, tend to only focus on their own regions or the big cities/regions of the country.

I have seen olive trees in Central and Southern Hijaz too and there could be plenty of them as the landscapes are mostly mountainous. In the mountains it would be ideal. But for now it is confined to the Northern Regions AND Northern Hijaz (Tabuk etc.)

If you take a close look at this thread you will see that the productions are increasing which is very good.:)

I have always been very fund of olive groves. There is something majestic about that. Unfortunately farming in KSA is not something that many aspire to (locals) so mostly migrants work in that field on farms etc. This is a shame because traditions regarding farming are disappearing this way.

For instance once rice production was quite big in the Eastern Province of KSA. Today it is dying out.

Hasawi rice:

Now how many outside of KSA or even many outside of the Eastern Region know this? Probably not many, LOL.

Good to see you around @Halimi. Hope you had a pleasant Eid al-Adha. I have updated this thread below if it has any interest and many others.

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos

"Makkah and Madinah News and Updates" | Page 9

Page 8 mostly in the last thread and page 30 in the first thread.:)

Eid Mubarak to you too bro. Insha'Allah you and your family had a good one.

Yeah, you're definitely right about the geographic-historical connection with the Levant and the natural topographic link between them. Turkey, Syria and Jordan are the biggest producers in the region and considering how blurred the line is between Jordan and Northern Saudi Arabia, this thread makes complete sense and I assume the potential for Saudi olive oil is big and can't see why it'd be much different than Levantine oil in quality.

I completely agree with you about the majesty of the tree and its groves. Whenever I see a tree, especially in the Middle East, I remember God and get images of history. There's something exceptional about the olive tree and how it connects us to the land and our past. I think it's more pronounced in Jordan, Palestine and Sinai than it is in the northern Levant (Lebanon, Syria) due to the backdrop, which is more 'Biblical' for lack for a better term.

The rice surprised me though; had no idea. Watching that video though, saw similarities with sections of the Nile Delta in terms of atmosphere and soil. Again, goes to show just how diverse and big the country is. Hope they figure out a way to deal with the water problems and get the new generation to be interested in farming it. Would be a loss for the industry to die out.

Back
Top Bottom