What's new

Old Bangla Photos

Government House Walk

View+in+Barrackpore+Park+-+Government+House+Walk+-+1865.jpg

Most ancient tribes were animists. Their ideas were eventually incorporated into the various religious beliefs (Hinduism) of North Indian migrants.

And yes, Vanga is long gone. Bengali has nothing to do with Dravidian languages. And it's outrageous to suggest radical modification of modern Bengali.

Well the adivashis were aminist but not the bengalis. Btw mahabharat mentioned that, Karna, one of the greatest warrior in mahabharat, ruled vanga.

Exterior of a Banyan tree

Banian+tree+in+Barrackpore+Park+-+1865.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Lake Scene

Barrackpore+Park+-+Lake+scene+-+1865.jpg

You, get influenced very easily my friend.

Bengali is a indo-aryan language.

Most bengalis were hindus, then buddhist, then hindus again and then finally muslims.
There are no such thing as being a dravidian or aryan. Those are language groups

We are closer to north indians than south indians genetically

By the time Islam came to Bengal the population believed to half hindus and half buddhist. As Hindu political system and text used to consider buddhist as a sect of Hinduism, most people take that, all were Hindus. Infact most Buddhist did not converted back to Hinduism in Bengal.

Interior of a Banyan tree

Banian+tree+in+Barrackpore+Park%252C+interior+view+-+1865.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Group portrait of Hindu ascetics (Sadhu) - Eastern Bengal 1860's

Group+portrait+of+Hindu+ascetics+%2528Sadhu%2529+-+Eastern+Bengal+1860%2527s.jpg

You, get influenced very easily my friend.

Bengali is a indo-aryan language.

Most bengalis were hindus, then buddhist, then hindus again and then finally muslims.

There are no such thing as being a dravidian or aryan. Those are language groups

We are closer to north indians than south indians genetically

You are right that i am influenced very easily. ;)

On the other hand could you give me a link where it says the bengali people's religion went like hindu-buddhist-hindu-muslim? because from what i have read it went like unknown-buddhist-hindu-muslim.

who is the english lady in the pics farhan? The photographers wife or is she some important lady?

Well the adivashis were aminist but not the bengalis. Btw mahabharat mentioned that, Karna, one of the greatest warrior in mahabharat, ruled vanga.

Mahabarat did not give any date, and mostly epic. It can not be a reference. The definition of kingdom that time was very vague. Kings used to live under bigger kings. There were overlapping territory of every kingdom and had very loose sovereignty that time.

Bengali Hindu Women in Prison in Alipur (Now in West Bengal, Kolkata) - c1856

Bengali+Hindu+Women+in+Prison+in+Alipur++%2528Now+in+West+Bengal%252C+Kolkata%2529+-+c1856.jpg

On the other hand could you give me a link where it says the bengali people's religion went like hindu-buddhist-hindu-muslim? because from what i have read it went like unknown-buddhist-hindu-muslim.

well nanda, mauryan, gupta and other indian empires ruled bengal and they were mostly hindu. According to the hindu epic mahabharat, Karna a hindu warrior and native of either anga or vanga, was the ruler of vanga. Furthermore bengal was very near the places where hindusim was developed

The people in this region were all along hindus even the tribes. There were no animist rather they used to pray animals, sun moon etc which are hiduism not exactly as Bhraminical hinduism but Hindus.

Vedic hinduism 1700 BC used to preach monotheism later turned polytheism. But I believe the enlightened sects of Hindus who were original montheist were later formed Buddhism.

who is the english lady in the pics farhan? The photographers wife or is she some important lady?

i dont know actually.
These photos were taken by Samuel Bourne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portrait_of_Samuel_Bourne%2C_1864.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Porters, North Bengal - c1856

Porters%252C+North+Bengal+-+c1856.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Group of Drummers (Dhaki) - Eastern Bengal 1860's

Group+of+Drummers+%2528Dhaki%2529+-+Eastern+Bengal+1860%2527s.jpg

Mahabarat did not give any date, and mostly epic. It can not be a reference. The definition of kingdom that time was very vague. Kings used to live under bigger kings. There were overlapping territory of every kingdom and had very loose sovereignty that time.

Well i think its mostly a war fought by different kingdoms in south asia. That character, karna, was mentioned early in the mahabharat, so i am guessing vanga was a hindu nation

I was a lil bit right Abir Da

In Eastern Bengal, members of the Dom ethnic group were trappers and hunters, as well as manufacturing mats, baskets and drums in the towns and on occasion acting as undertakers. As Hindus, the principal festival of the Doms was the Sravannia Puja, during which pigs were sacrificed and their blood mixed with milk and spirits offered to the deity. Doms are usually segregated from the mainstream community as outcastes.

The tribe theory also proved wrong as ancient Bengal had its own civilization not that they all were tribes. Wari Bawtessar ruin proved that, which were very advanced and one of the earliest civilization which used currency as the medium of trades. They had trade route to south east asia and even Srilanka.

This is very much possible because the original Vangas were master shipbuilders and textile makes (jamdani/muslin). Actually our shipbuilding industry goes back to the vangas. That is ofcourse as far as i have studied.

Back
Top Bottom