What's new

OFB offering Army new assault rifles

Mujraparty

Reaction score
Country
India
After tests carried out on the indigenously developed 5.56mm assault rifle at Mhow, Madhya Pradesh, over a month ago proved to be successful, the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) hopes that it may be soon accepted by the Army. At the same time, the first batch of indigenously developed Bofors type guns may be dispatched to the Army in March, said OFB director general AK Prabhakar.

He was in the city to attend the valedictory function at National Academy of Defence Production, which trains officers joining the Indian Ordnance Factory Service (IOFS) cadre.

The assault rifle is expected to replace the current 5.56 Insas rifle, which is the standard issue weapon for the Army since the mid-1990s. The Insas, which is also an ordnance factory product, was often reported to be inferior to the AK-47s used by militants.

Over a couple of years ago, the Army had invited offers for rifles with interchangeable barrels but did not get any response from global players. In the meantime, since the Army is looking for single barrel rifles now, OFB is also pushing this gun developed jointly with DRDO.

"The assault rifle is going to be the owner's pride and neighbour's envy," said Prabhakar while addressing the NADP function. Later, speaking to newspersons, he said that the process is at an advanced stage. "The tests were successful and it is hoped that the Army will accept it," he said.

A source in the OFB added the current Insas available with the Army is technically not an assault rifle. The new weapon being developed by OFB has rapid fire feature, matching it with the AK-47. The ordnance factory has also developed an assault rifle of 7.62mm calibre, which is being offered to the para military forces.

Prabhakar said that apart from the 155x45 mm calibre howitzers based on the Bofors guns, which will reach the Army in March, the OFB has also developed a 155x52 mm gun, which is a higher version. It was test fired recently at Pokhran. This gun has a higher range than the 155x45mm calibre and was made by improvising the existing 130mm guns available with the Army.

The ordnance factories are carrying out production orders worth Rs13,000 core, which the OFB plans to take to Rs15,000 crore the next year and Rs20,000 core the year after, said the OFB chief.

OFB offering Army new assault rifles - Times of India

Any pictures?

It's just the regular ol' Excalibur.

7-Latest-improve-version-of-INSAS.jpg

RGS8sW2.jpg

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @Water Car Engineer
Guys this is the new US made Kalashnikov AK ALFA

maxresdefault.jpg

And it looks bloody brilliant. I have been on the fence on finalizing between a Tavor, AUG A3M1 or even the M43 , but this puppy just threw a wrench in the plan. Will have to wait for some reviews though.

Wish our OFB AK variants could have done something like this.

maxresdefault.jpg

And it looks bloody brilliant. I have been on the fence on finalizing between a Tavor, AUG A3M1 or even the M43 , but this puppy just threw a wrench in the plan. Will have to wait for some reviews though.

Damn that's hot!! Lol, at expecting OFB to do anything akin to that. :D

maxresdefault.jpg

That's beautiful but it looks rather complex, which kills the whole charm of the AK series. These weapons are supposed to be basic, simple, cheap and practically indestructible which is why they (or their loose derivitives) are still sought after by India and Pakistan. They fire in -50 degrees when there are blocks of ice freezing inside and also in +50 degrees when almost a fist full of sand has been lodged in every nook and cranny of the weapon.

That's beautiful but it looks rather complex, which kills the whole charm of the AK series. These weapons are supposed to be basic, simple, cheap and practically indestructible which is why they (or their loose derivitives) are still sought after by India and Pakistan. They fire in -50 degrees when there are blocks of ice freezing inside and also in +50 degrees when almost a fist full of sand has been lodged in every nook and cranny of the weapon.
Action block is the same, so are the gas tube, and trigger group, Just the receiver and stock is different, Klashnikov USA has claimed that it will have the exact same indestructible nature. Cant wait to see what AK operators union and MAC testing of this one.

Action block is the same, so are the gas tube, and trigger group, Just the receiver and stock is different, Klashnikov USA has claimed that it will have the exact same indestructible nature. Cant wait to see what AK operators union and MAC testing of this one.

Yeah, they look the same but the assembly seems to be held by push-pins, the ejector has also been moved further back. One could conjecture that the pushpins mean that its merely a cosmetic upgrade but I guess we will have to find a video tear down to be absolutely sure.

maxresdefault.jpg

Whatever happened to this.

DRDO_MC_Rifle.jpg

Published February 18, 2016

SOURCE: TNN

Indian-Military-guns-16.jpg

After tests carried out on the indigenously developed 5.56mm assault rifle at Mhow, Madhya Pradesh, over a month ago proved to be successful, the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) hopes that it may be soon accepted by the Army. At the same time, the first batch of indigenously developed Bofors type guns may be dispatched to the Army in March, said OFB director general AK Prabhakar.

He was in the city to attend the valedictory function at National Academy of Defence Production, which trains officers joining the Indian Ordnance Factory Service (IOFS) cadre.
The assault rifle is expected to replace the current 5.56 Insas rifle, which is the standard issue weapon for the Army since the mid-1990s. The Insas, which is also an ordnance factory product, was often reported to be inferior to the AK-47s used by militants.

Over a couple of years ago, the Army had invited offers for rifles with interchangeable barrels but did not get any response from global players. In the meantime, since the Army is looking for single barrel rifles now, OFB is also pushing this gun developed jointly with DRDO.

“The assault rifle is going to be the owner’s pride and neighbour’s envy,” said Prabhakar while addressing the NADP function. Later, speaking to newspersons, he said that the process is at an advanced stage. “The tests were successful and it is hoped that the Army will accept it,” he said.

A source in the OFB added the current Insas available with the Army is technically not an assault rifle. The new weapon being developed by OFB has rapid fire feature, matching it with the AK-47. The ordnance factory has also developed an assault rifle of 7.62mm calibre, which is being offered to the para military forces.

Prabhakar said that apart from the 155×45 mm calibre howitzers based on the Bofors guns, which will reach the Army in March, the OFB has also developed a 155×52 mm gun, which is a higher version. It was test fired recently at Pokhran. This gun has a higher range than the 155x45mm calibre and was made by improvising the existing 130mm guns available with the Army.

The ordnance factories are carrying out production orders worth Rs13,000 core, which the OFB plans to take to Rs15,000 crore the next year and Rs20,000 core the year after, said the OFB chief.

IN A NUTSHELL

Army wants to replace the current 5.56mm Insas rifle with a new weapon Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) pushing the 5.56mm assault rifle developed by it. The new assault rifle has a rapid fire feature If accepted by the Army, the assault rifle will replace the Insas, which is also an ordnance factory product

Wouldn't that be something? :woot::cheesy::cheers:

Maybe one day.............:suicide:

The Indian private sector really need to get into the small arms business, some competitive spirit between them coupled with their dynamic R&D capabilities should be a real game changer in India. They don't necessarily have to start with designing their own small arms from scratch but they should at least be able to upgrade/modify existing weapons with the latest furniture (P-rails, sights, accesories, free floating barrels what have you).

I know TATA already do something like this mainly with sights/scopes but it is still far too limited. Imagine if a private sector entity was able to procure off the shelf weapons from abroad (I doubt they are able thus far because of licencing issues) and outfit them with their own accessories (tactical lights, sights, lasers etc) as well as "furniture" changes (increased plymor or different buttstocks) and deliver them to the Indian security forces.

We might actually see the INSAS become this:

tumblr_o2qss3sWCr1tjfjuco1_1280.png

I am aware it is very unfair to compare the US to any other small arms industry (especially in after market accesories) to any other nation let alone India's because the civlian market for such things in the US is simply mind blowing and non-existent in India which would make it very hard for a similar eco-system to exist outside of military contracts in India. But when I see shows like "American guns" or "Sons of Guns" and what a few guys in a tiny "factory" can do in the space of a few days/weeks/months and what the OFB have been unable to do in over 20 years it almost makes me want to cry.

I'm no small arms/gun expert (in any shape or form) but this, to me, seems like it would be a good start.

Gotta go for the Tavor! I'm not sure how they are sold in the US but I'd recommend avoiding the MARS RDS at all cost.

Army wants to replace the current 5.56mm Insas rifle with a new weapon Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) pushing the 5.56mm assault rifle developed by it. The new assault rifle has a rapid fire feature If accepted by the Army, the assault rifle will replace the Insas, which is also an ordnance factory product
Dumb, dumb reporting- the Excalibur is a derivative of the INSAS.

Still under testing, the DRDO are working with a dedicated IA test team and based on user feedback a number of refinements and tweaks have been carried out. MCIWS should be ready to enter service by 2019.

Army will never accept desi weapons of caliber no matter how good quality it is, unless MOD shoves it down their throats.

The top brass won't make commission on that.

Army will never accept desi weapons of caliber no matter how good quality it is, unless MOD shoves it down their throats.

Sorry sir but I don't buy that. Until recently the capacity of all entities in India to make a high-quality product was limited, if India was making something of the quality of the ARX-160 or Tavor in India then they would be happy to induct it. They inducted the INSAS when it met their requirements and have stuck with it, inducting updated versions as they were made. The MCIWS isn't ready to enter service yet but the IA is supporting it, there is no way the world's 3rd largest army is going to induct a foreign assualt rifle as its standard issue weapon.

I am yet to see a world class small arm come out of India.

Sorry sir but I don't buy that. Until recently the capacity of all entities in India to make a high-quality product was limited, if India was making something of the quality of the ARX-160 or Tavor in India then they would be happy to induct it. They inducted the INSAS when it met their requirements and have stuck with it, inducting updated versions as they were made. The MCIWS isn't ready to enter service yet but the IA is supporting it, there is no way the world's 3rd largest army is going to induct a foreign assualt rifle as its standard issue weapon.

I am yet to see a world class small arm come out of India.

On the large part, I agree with you on INSAS, but only in so far as the trial batch was a superb weapon, but the overall quality subsequently was atrocious. It is, however, one of the best weapons to use on a range. But does one trust it in CI ops? No!

The army is at the present also, testing various weapons to replace the INSAS. However, the present Chief has indicated that he will stick with the new product of OFB in line with Make In India (that is the reported phrase) even after the CAPFs absolutely refused to induct the Excalibur and have placed a large demand for X-95.

The strange country that we are, the CAPFs today have a better rifle than the regular army!

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom