What's new

Obama's India trip could tip power balance: Pak

Nothing.. If you start acting on moving away from existing military driven policies that are holding Pakistan back...

If the Military/defense centric policy is holding Pakistan Back, what is ths future for India who is just starting to pursue defense driven policies. btw In my opinion we have just need a little effort- to reign in corruption na fuedalism, everything will be perfect!

If the Military/defense centric policy is holding Pakistan Back, what is ths future for India who is just starting to pursue defense driven policies. btw In my opinion we have just need a little effort- to reign in corruption na fuedalism, everything will be perfect!

Defense driven policies ? India ? ....Not at all ...our military budget is still around 3 % ...we still formulate strategies , go for mil-equipment within our 3% budget but of course with a rapidly growing economy our budget is proportionately expected to increase but the bulk of our resources is still commited to eradicating poverty, illiteracy, further liberalizing and expanding our economy ...and with recent efforts the GOI is attempting to gradually reduce corruption in goverment bureaucracies too state by state ( as noted by international organizations in their reports ).

I really think that the trip is only for discussing economic issues. . and increasing trade opportunities for both countries. .

There is nothing impossible my friend. If Pakistan as a society want they can achieve whatever they want to. Same is true for any society as there is nothing called martial race.....God forbids tomorrow can be a natural calamity in India which can bring castrotrophic results, so who knows what will happen. We all can make calculated guess at best.....

If you can recover from bankrupcy in 20 yrs and able to rub shoulders with China, what prevent Pakistan from doing the same( atleast in Principle).!!

That means you have not read my post clearly. Let me highlight one section for you again....

don't want to say the obvious but if you are smart enough you would understand how there can be no balance(if at all is there) in South Asia for a considerable time and where Pak priorities should lye....
I never denied Pak cannot bring in balance of power. However it is pragmatic to say it is going to take considerable amount of time.

However just to clarify we are still not rubbing shoulder's with Chinese. We are still lagging behind in almost every field. However our newly found economic might has given us huge confidence boost. Results are in front of the whole world. For decades we did not develop our own North-East fearing that such a move will facilitate Chinese agrression in our own Land!!!! Would you believe that??? And now we are improving infrastructure here on war-footing.....Sweat isn't it???

There is nothing impossible my friend. If Pakistan as a society want they can achieve whatever they want to. Same is true for any society as there is nothing called martial race.....God forbids tomorrow can be a natural calamity in India which can bring castrotrophic results, so who knows what will happen. We all can make calculated guess at best.....

That means you have not read my post clearly. Let me highlight one section for you again....

I never denied Pak cannot bring in balance of power. However it is pragmatic to say it is going to take considerable amount of time.

However just to clarify we are still not rubbing shoulder's with Chinese. We are still lagging behind in almost every field. However our newly found economic might has given us huge confidence boost. Results are in front of the whole world. For decades we did not develop our own North-East fearing that such a move will facilitate Chinese agrression in our own Land!!!! Would you believe that??? And now we are improving infrastructure here on war-footing.....Sweat isn't it???

I seriously doubt this.

We had 8.4 percent growth just a couple of years ago, so it is not far fetched - military spending will remain high and probably increase year on year, don't forget Pakistan's Allies such as the US and China - hugely subsidise our Defence Budget, by about 5 billion a year, in terms of weapons and equipment. :)
Do we need to remind you about the ill-effects of that??? I don't think there was any subsidy from US when you were under sanctions, no??? Regaridng your economic growth then no one can deny Pakistan has the potential to churn out high growth rate...Her geography and her natuaral resources are a clear edge but then havbing potential is one thing and putting it into use is another. Simply think we are the same India who was on the verge of bankruptcy. We have not got potential as a gift form someone. we always had that but when we were challenged to the core we used our potential the best we could and results are for everyone to watch...At the moment Pakistan is being challenged and i am sure you guys will bounce back...

Militay/defence centric policy is definitely holding Pakistan back, otherwise how can you pragmatically explain increasing defence budget especially when you are asking for foreign aid to help your own flood devastated netizens and having economy in shambles being kept afloat due to WB??? Can you deny that People know Pakistan more for her military might rather than as an institution??? Now this can be a statement to be proud about or feel leftout for not being a robust economy....

Also i beg to differ about India being Military/defense centric. Right from the birth our focus has never been on Military. It was 1962 which awakened us and we started upgrading ourself. 65, 71 all kept on reminding us that Military also need focus. Remember we are the same country who needed LGB's from Israel to finish our job in Kargil....Before that our political establishment was under the impression that Nukes will keep the enemy at bay....

Our Army is still heavily dependent on Bofors whose deal was stuck way back in 80's...Is this you call Military centric???...Now we have the money and we are doing what we should have done 2 decades back!!! My advice, look India from the prism of China. No one knows what is their defense budget though estimates are that it is around $80-100 billion yet we are not getting carried away by that. We are still spending what we can afford which is 2-3% of our GDP....

I seriously doubt this.
This is a well known fact my dear friend, though i agree that i should have used better words to explain what i was saying.

India was ill-equipped and the only thing that was working for us was the difficult terrain b/w China and India. Now i am not saying we were just praying with our tails in the legs that China should not attack but one of the reason's for not developing border area in North-East was to slow down the Chinese aggression(if any). This would give new delhi enough breather to concentrate troops accordingly.

With the newly found confidence and geo-political stature that strategy has been thrown out in dust-bin and these areas are being developed as we speak....

Militay/defence centric policy is definitely holding Pakistan back, otherwise how can you pragmatically explain increasing defence budget especially when you are asking for foreign aid to help your own flood devastated netizens and having economy in shambles being kept afloat due to WB???

Simply because this is a war time budget. The security situation requires monies to be spent on the military expenditure. Operations are ongoing. IS duties require more money...so having floods or relying on foreign assistance does not mean money should not go to security needs. The terrorists don't stop in times of flood, neither can the security apparatus.

We had 8.4 percent growth just a couple of years ago, so it is not far fetched - military spending will remain high and probably increase year on year, don't forget Pakistan's Allies such as the US and China - hugely subsidise our Defence Budget, by about 5 billion a year, in terms of weapons and equipment. :)

Which year was 8.4 %?

I very well know you are not a fanboy so i will give your argument its due respect, however i hope you won't mind some nagging questions....

Simply because this is a war time budget. The security situation requires monies to be spent on the military expenditure. Operations are ongoing. IS duties require more money...so having floods or relying on foreign assistance does not mean money should not go to security needs. The terrorists don't stop in times of flood, neither can the security apparatus.

So are you saying this increase is purely justified..In other words a whopping increase of 25%-31% is all to fight with militants??? No doubt money is required to carry on operations but then what about millions devastated by floods??? Is it wrong to say that at this time all institutions need to cut down on the expenses, the way you slashed your development fund by 50% and non-development by 20%, no????

Now i am not saying that military should be ignored but the numbers above doesn't seem right and do give an inclination about how military has been given preference over millions who became homeless in matter of seconds.....See i also know that being a netizen of a country with so many poor's i should be last one to keep a moral high ground, however the thing that disgust me most is the high percentage of GDP that pak puts in defense....And the way our economy is going this percentage needs to be increased every passing year....

Anyhow this is your country and you know what is best for you....I might be insensitive to some of your pressing needs but one thing is true, Pak do spend quite a high percentage of her GDP in defense which is not good...

Back
Top Bottom